Ireland - any stories from growing up?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am Irish, I live in the UK. Sometimes it is only an Irish person who will identify with some of your stories from growing up. I probably have lots, but need to think.
My Dad, who is sadly passed away now; used to use DAZ washing powder to wash his hair. He never went bald or grey, maybe that was the secret??!!!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
My dad used to use Fairy washing up liquid to do his!

I was born here, my parents both in Ireland. I use terms and sayings that my kids use but somethings they need to explain to their pals as they don't understand what they mean

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Ha ha! Funny to hear that! My parents used the word "oxster" for underarms. The "press" meant cupboard....

One of my favourite words is "gobshite".

Reactions: 22
Getting a bollocking from my dad for leaving the immersion on. I still wake up in the middle of the night with ‘immersion fear‘ 😂
Also, the inevitable ‘there’s a grand stretch in the evening’ the second the clocks go forward.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Hi there! A Kerry girl here of irish/Scottish parents , did primary school in Kerry then moved to Herts and returned to Kerry to marry a gas kerryman

The sayings are brill, I love when he's talking about someone who is clueless he says...
"He may as well be lookin into a field of thistles" 😂😂😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Was educated by the nuns in primary at the time they were scary but still friends with the girl I used to sit with - the nuns had their own sayings

If you were caught looking around you were a "noticebox" 😂😂
If you were stupid you were a "Duffer" 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I always remember growing up and Trocaire and Lent with Bishop Casey. My Mum used to say that he never cut back during Lent, look at the size of him! I think the scales of Irish people’s eyes fell away after his affair came to light in 1992. I remember I bought the book, and gave it to my Mum. I think it was the only book she read in her life. She would go up to the bedroom to read a chapter, come down and say how disgusting it was. Then she’d say - right I’m off to read the next chapter, don’t disturb me! Funny!!

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Now we’re sucking diesel 😂
My mums Irish, still has a strong accent and family over there. She made sure we had strong Irish connection by taking us over loads as kids, would ship me off by myself to go stay with my Nan and grandad over the summer holidays. Our family ran a dairy farm and were in real rural part.
Anyway my Nan had a chocolate tin in the cupboard with all the Cadbury’s chocolate you couldn’t get here, Mint crisp, golden crisp 😍 and my mums sure lucazade can cure everything. Colds, upset tummies, broken bones 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 21
I always remember growing up and Trocaire and Lent with Bishop Casey. My Mum used to say that he never cut back during Lent, look at the size of him! I think the scales of Irish people’s eyes fell away after his affair came to light in 1992. I remember I bought the book, and gave it to my Mum. I think it was the only book she read in her life. She would go up to the bedroom to read a chapter, come down and say how disgusting it was. Then she’d say - right I’m off to read the next chapter, don’t disturb me! Funny!!
The scandal of it all!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
That's hilarious 😂😂 I have a photo taken with Bishop Casey when I was very young, we come across it now and then and hubby says Eamonn was fine til he met me😂😂
In his defence a celebate life is a lonely one (the Vatican afraid the women and children would take their money) but the financial inaccuracies were dodgy- like Fr Ted - the money was "resting in his account"😉😉

• Haha
Reactions: 11
That's hilarious 😂😂 I have a photo taken with Bishop Casey when I was very young, we come across it now and then and hubby says Eamonn was fine til he met me😂😂
In his defence a celebate life is a lonely one (the Vatican afraid the women and children would take their money) but the financial inaccuracies were dodgy- like Fr Ted - the money was "resting in his account"😉😉
I agree with all you say. I think it is all about money and inheritance. There is a famous photo on the Internet of Bishop Casey and Fr Cleary either side of the Pope in his popemobile when he visited Ireland in 1979, two of the biggest hypocrites!

Reactions: 6