Ireland - any stories from growing up?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I see they've exhumed the Kerry baby I wonder will they ever find his mother:(with the advancement in forensics I think there's a good possibility of identifying him....Also two men have been Charged with the murder of Lyra McKee ( due in court tomorrow )it's a pity her mum didn't live to see justice being done.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Re: the names, I think some people see it as being more proud of their Irishness. A bit like the amount of people that say they can speak Irish in the census is always exaggerated because people feel they 'should' know Irish. The way it's taught in schools is ridiculous anyway, I can speak more French than Irish.

I can't find Murder at the Cottage where I am but did watch Sophie and thought it was very interesting (@LellsBells it is the same case as the podcast). I'm not convinced of Bailey's guilt at all if I'm honest. I think they decided it should be him and ran with it. He's an egomaniac, a nasty piece of work and an attention seeker, but that doesn't mean he's a murderer. Marie Farrell should face legal consequences - one way or another she's lied and should be held accountable for perverting the course of justice or wasting police time or whatever it is.
I have an Irish surname cos I married it. Proud of it but I also have a son with The Most Irish Name Ever!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Totally enjoying this thread, haven't stopped laughing and smiling as I read phrases and fun stories. :giggle:

All my family (and parents) were from Ireland, except me. I love all things Irish, feels like home reading this thread 🤗

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Totally enjoying this thread, haven't stopped laughing and smiling as I read phrases and fun stories. :giggle:

All my family (and parents) were from Ireland, except me. I love all things Irish, feels like home reading this thread 🤗
Well you can count yourself as Irish if you have a great great great great great great great great great grandparent twice removed so it looks like you’re kin 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I wonder is she the first POC to dance in the show , I’ve never noticed before .

Growing up in rural Ireland bingo

Learning to drive in a field in a 1986 white toyota corrolla

Knowing at least one set of families to fall out over land, or the notorious "right of way"

Going to the local pub when underage, but it being OK once the publican is satisfied that your parents know you are there

Using stacks of round bales for the most unreal games of hide and seek etc

Getting your first shift at the local teenage disco (bonus point if the Vengaboys was playing)

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Growing up in rural Ireland bingo

Learning to drive in a field in a 1986 white toyota corrolla

Knowing at least one set of families to fall out over land, or the notorious "right of way"

Going to the local pub when underage, but it being OK once the publican is satisfied that your parents know you are there

Using stacks of round bales for the most unreal games of hide and seek etc

Getting your first shift at the local teenage disco (bonus point if the Vengaboys was playing)
That last point though! 💯

I use the Irish version of my surname, I'm really into our language and culture and my kids all have Irish names. That's just me but each to their own. There's an insta page that's shows all the old Irish adverts from yokes ago and it's so funny.

Reactions: 3
Love the word shift!!
Shift! Has a lot of meanings in Ireland , I remember my granny saying “you’d need a shift on ye that day it’s freezing “ that’s what she called a vest 😅

I use the Irish version of my surname, I'm really into our language and culture and my kids all have Irish names. That's just me but each to their own. There's an insta page that's shows all the old Irish adverts from yokes ago and it's so funny.
What’s it called?

There was such great ads back in the day, I remember this from being really young

Looking at it now as a parent it actually gives me a lump in my throat

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
This is one of my favs

On the flip of the southern “ sweet ads “ these are the ones we grew up with

This is one of my favs

On the flip of the southern “ sweet ads “ these are the ones we grew up with
Holy tit the Cats in the Cradle one is dark.
I never saw that before.
I love the 1980s ESB one: a real classic. Someone did an excellent parody of it in the last year or two, if I find it I'll post it here.