Ireland - any stories from growing up?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is anyone here from Easkey? This thread is making me laugh so much, stuff that I didn’t realise was Irish but my nana used to say do. I’m English but we used to go Easkey every summer in the late 80s/early 90s. I’d love to go back, I wonder if it’s changed much.

Uncle Barny and Auntie Bridget who could kill with a stare at 50 paces 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Is anyone here from Easkey? This thread is making me laugh so much, stuff that I didn’t realise was Irish but my nana used to say do. I’m English but we used to go Easkey every summer in the late 80s/early 90s. I’d love to go back, I wonder if it’s changed much.

Uncle Barny and Auntie Bridget who could kill with a stare at 50 paces 😂
I’m from Ballina so I’m about 20 mins away! Easkey is fab!! Still a nice smalll little village you should deffo go back during summer, down by the pier is gorgeous for sunsets! I always go down there to clear my head it’s so relaxing and tranquil!

• Heart
My paternal grandfather is from Donegal in spent all my summers there from 6-16 loved it he had a caravan why he was building a house on his land, all my cousins auntys and uncles used to call it the mobile.
My grandma was Scottish so they made quite the pair I still come out with so many words that were normal to me but have to be explained, every year when he got a jumper or cardigan for Christmas it would be his good Christmas Ganzee I’m probably spelling that wrong but that’s how he says it.
He still has the thickest accent now in his 80s and he’s lived in England for 50 odd years half of the time, the summer holidays were the best my cousins would take me ceilidh dancing and we would go out on the rocks getting Dulse or seaweed as we would call it.
hopefully get to take my daughter one day.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’m from Ballina so I’m about 20 mins away! Easkey is fab!! Still a nice smalll little village you should deffo go back during summer, down by the pier is gorgeous for sunsets! I always go down there to clear my head it’s so relaxing and tranquil!
My dad is from kiltimack in Co Mayo, his mother was Walsh.. I might be a cousin of Louis Walsh!!!

Reactions: 4
It is very interesting to read such stories. My stories from my childhood are usually glossed over, simply because there was nothing interesting there. I don't even have a picture left. It's interesting to read other people's stories.

Reactions: 2
It is very interesting to read such stories. My stories from my childhood are usually glossed over, simply because there was nothing interesting there. I don't even have a picture left. It's interesting to read other people's stories.
I understand that growing up in rural Ireland!

Reactions: 1
Don't think I have posted this before, but I love the Irish GSOH.

My sister texted me once to say, call home as Mum has good family news.

So I phoned my Mum, she was 78 at the time.

I said Mother, this good family news - you are not pregnant, are you?
She said : oh no, I'm on the pill!!

I can't remember what the good family news was! But Mum made me laugh....

• Haha
Reactions: 7
My paternal grandfather is from Donegal in spent all my summers there from 6-16 loved it he had a caravan why he was building a house on his land, all my cousins auntys and uncles used to call it the mobile.
My grandma was Scottish so they made quite the pair I still come out with so many words that were normal to me but have to be explained, every year when he got a jumper or cardigan for Christmas it would be his good Christmas Ganzee I’m probably spelling that wrong but that’s how he says it.
He still has the thickest accent now in his 80s and he’s lived in England for 50 odd years half of the time, the summer holidays were the best my cousins would take me ceilidh dancing and we would go out on the rocks getting Dulse or seaweed as we would call it.
hopefully get to take my daughter one day.
I'm Irish. My grandad always said ganzee too...geansaí is the Irish for jumper and I still prefer to use that word over jumper!

• Heart
Im first gen born here, I've got Irish parents. I identify as Irish and am just sorting an Irish passport. I love this thread, made me laugh, all the phrases and sayings......just like being at home. My dad is from Cavan and male children are called gosson. My mom, a Kilkenny girl (up the Cats!!) always says yer not as green as cabbage looking...... stuff I say to my child now.

Thanks for the laughs xxx

Reactions: 5
Im first gen born here, I've got Irish parents. I identify as Irish and am just sorting an Irish passport. I love this thread, made me laugh, all the phrases and sayings......just like being at home. My dad is from Cavan and male children are called gosson. My mom, a Kilkenny girl (up the Cats!!) always says yer not as green as cabbage looking...... stuff I say to my child now.

Thanks for the laughs xxx
Yes! And a girl is called a gahalaa.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I was at uni in England and I used to confuse my mates by saying I was going for a carry out. They didn't get it.

• Haha
Reactions: 5