Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Flowergirl14

VIP Member
I am Irish, I live in the UK. Sometimes it is only an Irish person who will identify with some of your stories from growing up. I probably have lots, but need to think.
My Dad, who is sadly passed away now; used to use DAZ washing powder to wash his hair. He never went bald or grey, maybe that was the secret??!!!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 37

Londoncailín

VIP Member
Getting a bollocking from my dad for leaving the immersion on. I still wake up in the middle of the night with ‘immersion fear‘ 😂
Also, the inevitable ‘there’s a grand stretch in the evening’ the second the clocks go forward.

• Haha
Reactions: 34

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
rich tea biscuits and butter “sandwiches” 😐

please let someone know what I’m talking about 🤣😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 32

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
My husband is Irish. When we first met I found so many things confusing. Why was he doing his 'messages' when was he was shopping? Why was his dressing gown a 'house coat'? And his welly boots are water boots? Why is the airing cupboard a hot press? Most confusingly why does he have a slice of bread and butter with every. single. meal? 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22

Flowergirl14

VIP Member
Ha ha! Funny to hear that! My parents used the word "oxster" for underarms. The "press" meant cupboard....

One of my favourite words is "gobshite".

Reactions: 22

Boredinstagrammer29

Now we’re sucking diesel 😂
My mums Irish, still has a strong accent and family over there. She made sure we had strong Irish connection by taking us over loads as kids, would ship me off by myself to go stay with my Nan and grandad over the summer holidays. Our family ran a dairy farm and were in real rural part.
Anyway my Nan had a chocolate tin in the cupboard with all the Cadbury’s chocolate you couldn’t get here, Mint crisp, golden crisp 😍 and my mums sure lucazade can cure everything. Colds, upset tummies, broken bones 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 21

imaginedragon83

VIP Member
I grew up in the North near the border.
We used to go over the border on sunny days to the beach and come home with the "good butter", the "proper white bread", the "free state tayto" and Irish Cadbury.
My grandad used to always come with us and go to his favourite pub while we were at the beach
When the army border checkpoints were still a thing if they stopped us my grandad (who was the biggest joker and messer) uSd to shout really loud "ah shite they're gona find the guns in the boot now". I was only about 7 or 8 and used to cry my eyes out thinking the soldiers would take him away and he would be laughing his head off 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 19

Wishwash

For anyone who now lives outside of Ireland. Do you ever see people in the town or city where you now live, and just think they have a big Irish head on them? It’s unmistakable.

“Look at the big mad Irish head on him/her”
I was in mass before lockdown and there was a fella sat in front of me wearing a Kerry shirt and he was the most Irish looking fella you'd ever seen in your life down to the freckles on his neck. I nudged my mother in law and was whispering "have you ever seen a more Irish looking man in your life" and he turned straight round and was like "Howaya" omg I nearly died. After my husband was getting all thick with me asking how I knew him 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 19

Flowergirl14

VIP Member
I always remember growing up and Trocaire and Lent with Bishop Casey. My Mum used to say that he never cut back during Lent, look at the size of him! I think the scales of Irish people’s eyes fell away after his affair came to light in 1992. I remember I bought the book, and gave it to my Mum. I think it was the only book she read in her life. She would go up to the bedroom to read a chapter, come down and say how disgusting it was. Then she’d say - right I’m off to read the next chapter, don’t disturb me! Funny!!

• Haha
Reactions: 16

Londoncailín

VIP Member
For anyone who now lives outside of Ireland. Do you ever see people in the town or city where you now live, and just think they have a big Irish head on them? It’s unmistakable.

“Look at the big mad Irish head on him/her”

• Haha
Reactions: 16

Doodlebug005

VIP Member
The child of Prague shoved out in the garden the night before a wedding, communion etc for fineweather😂 God we sound deranged 😵 Screenshot_20200605-161849~3.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15

torontoon

Chatty Member
I'm Irish, but have lived in the UK for nearly 30 years, and there are still things that I say which my English hubby has gotten used to, but he now also says them! 'C'mere to me...', standing up to do something and going 'now!' for no reason, 'grand', and of course: ''turn off the 'big light'' :)

and 'mind yourself' when you said goodbye to someone
and saying "I'll let you go" when you're done talking and "bye bye bye bye bye bye bye" on the phone. Oooh and calling a cupboard a press.

• Haha
Reactions: 15

Doodlebug005

VIP Member
Hi there! A Kerry girl here of irish/Scottish parents , did primary school in Kerry then moved to Herts and returned to Kerry to marry a gas kerryman

The sayings are brill, I love when he's talking about someone who is clueless he says...
"He may as well be lookin into a field of thistles" 😂😂😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14

laughing

VIP Member
My dad used to use Fairy washing up liquid to do his!

I was born here, my parents both in Ireland. I use terms and sayings that my kids use but somethings they need to explain to their pals as they don't understand what they mean

• Heart
Reactions: 14

monga

VIP Member
knock knock
Open wide,
See what’s on the other side.....

It’s fucking Dublin zoo again ffs Bosco.... 🙄
I've a story about Dublin Zoo yrs ago when my son was about 5 we took him ,it rained from the heavens ,the Gorilla choked on a ball and died and the Giraffes decided they wanted a shag in front of about 20 families .Everyone was running to cover their kids eye's a Giraffe with a **** on is not a pretty sight I'm still scarred for life 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 13