Ireland - any stories from growing up?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just had a session with my son who is applying for uni in the UK. Had to provide all the family history re education. Started off with my Dad in Ireland left school at 12! Progressed after that, me and my siblings all progressed to 3rd level, not much else to do in Ireland in the 1980's!

Is it just me who thinks Irish people are obsessed with land, farms and money. Just following on the news the appalling tragic situation in Cork last week. I am Irish, and my 2 sisters are absolutely obsessed with buying houses... Why is this??

Reactions: 2
Only if you live in the country I think ? I'm not sure many city folk are interested in land but that's where the money lies here, a lot of farm land has been developed into housing/commercial buildings and millions have passed hands ,But I miss not having many greenbelts about I hate built up areas with everyone living on top of each other.

Only if you live in the country I think ? I'm not sure many city folk are interested in land but that's where the money lies here, a lot of farm land has been developed into housing/commercial buildings and millions have passed hands ,But I miss not having many greenbelts about I hate built up areas with everyone living on top of each other.
You have a point

Reactions: 1
Is it just me who thinks Irish people are obsessed with land, farms and money. Just following on the news the appalling tragic situation in Cork last week. I am Irish, and my 2 sisters are absolutely obsessed with buying houses... Why is this??
That was such an awful story, quickly followed by the mum and 2 kids in Dublin, it was a dark week

@RumNCoke
Also cork langer 🙋🏻
ah you’re from cark boi 😂😂

I thought Ray Darcy was a twit when I watched the Den as a child. This opinion has not changed as an adult 😂
I love Dustin :ROFLMAO: the start of it was funny he said he knew a guy in America lost his job so he was trying to flog the MAGA hats ...Make Arklow great again😂

• Haha
I am just re watching Angela's Ashes on Netflix. I remember my aunt in New York was disgusted by this, as how it portrayed the Irish!!

I remember watching it years ago. I always thought it was a true story in that case it must have been how his family were.

Does anyone remember the Farmers Journal? I remember the classified ads under the lonely hearts section. It was generally: lonely farmer wants to meet teacher or nurse, must have own car!! Hilarious...

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Weren’t there dating ads in the back of the Ireland’s Own? And there was the Lisdoonvarna matchmaking festival 😅
0B338741-78BF-4AE5-9BA3-81AB030D8A68.jpeg

sorry if this has been mentioned before-

I'm from the north, does anyone remember on a Sunday evening sitting down for your dinner and School Around the Corner with Frank Mitchell would be on, followed by School Choir of the year then we were bathed ready for school the next morning and we always knew it was time to go to sleep when you heard the Heartbeat theme tune play on the TV

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7