Ireland - any stories from growing up?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do you know you can watch RTE on their App now for free. I like how you can watch some of the Late Late Show in part, can watch the person you are interested in; rather than scrolling through the whole show. I watched Frances Brennan interview, a real gentleman and a funny guy too!
No! I didn't know this, thanks. I'd love to catch up a bit on what I've been missing.

Agree on Frances Brennan too, he's a savvy guy too.

Reactions: 1
Does anyone recall that advert on TV between the Late Late Show, "SOS- Stamp out Scour", directed at all the farmers, back in the 80's & 90's!
No way, thatโ€™s hilarious!

I just saw a funny pic on FB, does anyone remember putting a sheet of the local paper in front of the Fire in order to "draw it up" and to get the fire going. Lots of turf, but go easy on the coal and the brickets, they cost a lot!
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Reactions: 3
Just saw on the news subway rolls are not considered bread in Ireland they're too sugary ๐Ÿ˜‚ according to Irish law sugar content in bread has to be under a certain amount before they consider it bread :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 4
rich tea biscuits and butter โ€œsandwichesโ€ ๐Ÿ˜

please let someone know what Iโ€™m talking about ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚
And squeezing the butter through the holes

This is making me feel fierce nostalgic. I'm in Canada now, just a few years, but I feel nostalgic about loads of stuff. Lucozade, decent chocolate. Tayto, Colour Catcher sheets for the washing machine, grand stretch in the evenings, great drying out, flat 7up, brack (never even ate the stuff when I lived there), soda bread, decent butter, a white sliced pan. Bosco, Dustin, not being able to make it back to repeal the 8th, 99s, Monster Munch, Space Raiders, Bacon Fries.

Jesus but I miss Ireland, lads. Love it here, it's home now, but I do miss it.
what about the heelfrom batch bread toasted

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7

apparently its not called the heel of the bread everywhere!!!

YES ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ are you a dub ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ where you poor in the 80โ€™s/90โ€™s
i was told the digestive biscuits butter sandwich was what the poor kids had as dessert ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ I should be offended but I laughed

Fungieโ€™s made the English headlines View attachment 283293
poor fungie, and poor Kerry, theyโ€™ve lost their cash cow

Reactions: 2
apparently its not called the heel of the bread everywhere!!!

YES ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ are you a dub ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ where you poor in the 80โ€™s/90โ€™s
i was told the digestive biscuits butter sandwich was what the poor kids had as dessert ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ I should be offended but I laughed

poor fungie, and poor Kerry, theyโ€™ve lost their cash cow
The Irish Nessie ๐Ÿ˜ฌ ,,,I'm still partial to a buttered digestive ๐Ÿ˜‚ and so are my boys ,they also love a digestive dipped in jam and sprinkled with coconut

The heel is my fave part of the bread ๐Ÿ˜‹

Reactions: 3
Just wondering when you think the scales fell from people's eyes about the Catholic Church. I think it started when it all came out about Bishop Casey and his son in 1992. Then we had the singing priest Fr Michael Cleary, and the son he had with his housekeeper and all the child abuse scandals that followed. I always remember Bishop Casey and his Trocaire box appeal for Lent, telling us to give up a meal for Lent and put the saved money in the Trocaire box. I always remember my late Mum saying : Look at the size of him, he doesn't look like he gives up any meals! She said it a bit more colourful than that.....

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Yes what a scandal that was. I can only speak for our parish but there was always whispers going about from as far back as I can remember ,even today there's people very vocal on being recognised for the abuse they've suffered at the hands of our local clergy . I always remember one priest in particular that had no time for women at all but was very welcoming to young boys/men if you get my drift .We've literally a handful of priests throughout our town compared to years ago so I think the impact of the abuse is still very much to the fore in people's minds .I think there's been one ordination in about 10 years in our parish that I can think of .

We had a local priest involved in a child abuse scandal, and he is a priest in another parish now about 20 miles away.... got shipped off there when the locals started gossiping....

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Well that is my new date with an Irish man gone! We were due to meet for a coffee next Friday (in the UK) I sent him a text, and he has suggested Zoom!.... how should I reply?

• Sad
We had a local priest involved in a child abuse scandal, and he is a priest in another parish now about 20 miles away.... got shipped off there when the locals started gossiping....
Oh yes ! that's what usually happens they just redeploy them elsewhere ....same with the one in our parish that liked the men ...not surprising at all.

Well that is my new date with an Irish man gone! We were due to meet for a coffee next Friday (in the UK) I sent him a text, and he has suggested Zoom!.... how should I reply?
Can't you bring it forward?

@monga absolutely that is what they did!

Oh yes ! that's what usually happens they just redeploy them elsewhere ....same with the one in our parish that liked the men ...not surprising at all.

Can't you bring it forward?
I am too shy to suggest that....

Anyone else remember doing Irish in primary school with the projector? We'd have to come up with stories for the still slides. Hated that thing and it made Irish so boring! 14 years studying it and can barely string a sentence together. ๐Ÿ˜•

Reactions: 5