Ireland - any stories from growing up?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sky News headline : Tributes pour in for John Hume .The Pope ,Dalai Lama and Bono 😂 Bono will be pleased ..:rolleyes:

I just saw a funny pic on FB, does anyone remember putting a sheet of the local paper in front of the Fire in order to "draw it up" and to get the fire going. Lots of turf, but go easy on the coal and the brickets, they cost a lot!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Ooh I love this thread. Both parents are Irish, I was born here but hold dual nationality. Ireland is my spiritual home. I use a lot of ism too. My dads fave is you'll chase the crow for that, meaning you'll miss it once it's gone/dont be wasteful......

The scandal of it all!!!!!
The Saw Doctors did a song called 'Howya Julia' about this.... brilliant

Reactions: 1
I just saw a funny pic on FB, does anyone remember putting a sheet of the local paper in front of the Fire in order to "draw it up" and to get the fire going. Lots of turf, but go easy on the coal and the brickets, they cost a lot!
I think I posted the pic on the thread 😂 I always managed to let the paper catch fire ,I remember my granny and parents throwing " slack " as they called it on top of the coal it used to last ages then( it was just like coal dust that stopped the coal from firing up )..

Reactions: 3
RIVER DANCE IS ON 🤣😂😬
The MIL and FIL are big into Irish dance there's a lot of rules and reg attached to the steps and movements they said Flatley wouldn't have got anywhere in the actual comps/feis hands have to be straight by your sides at all times :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: feet of flames or not ..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
I have just come across this thread (haven't got through it all yet), and I know I'm not adding anything of substance but just wanted to say I'm really enjoying all the comments. I'm Irish but have been living abroad the last few years and get very homesick at times! There have been so many phrases and sayings I would absentmindedly say when I first moved, and nobody knew what the hell I was talking about 🤣 Particularly something like "he was giving out to me"- the reply would always be something like "he was giving out what?" and I'd have to explain what I meant. So many others I can't even think of right now!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I have just come across this thread (haven't got through it all yet), and I know I'm not adding anything of substance but just wanted to say I'm really enjoying all the comments. I'm Irish but have been living abroad the last few years and get very homesick at times! There have been so many phrases and sayings I would absentmindedly say when I first moved, and nobody knew what the hell I was talking about 🤣 Particularly something like "he was giving out to me"- the reply would always be something like "he was giving out what?" and I'd have to explain what I meant. So many others I can't even think of right now!
I'm sure you'll have plenty to add ,there's always something that strikes a chord with somebody on here 😂

• Heart
"Come here while I tell you a question!"
"Will you go away having notions!"
"Is it a boy or a child?" (Pointing at my newborn baby dresses all in white)

Also does anyone here still do Women's Little Christmas? Tried bringing it back in to this house and no one was having any of it 🥴😔🤣

Love all those phrases! 🤣 I mentioned Little Christmas at work one year and my (very sound) colleagues were laughing away and asked if I made it up so I could get a second Christmas celebration with work😂

Does anyone recall that advert on TV between the Late Late Show, "SOS- Stamp out Scour", directed at all the farmers, back in the 80's & 90's!

Reactions: 4
😅I'm from Galway born and bred! This thread is making me so nostalgic. Anyone else upset they've cancelled the ploughing championships this year?

I live in the UK now but normally travel home every year for Christmas but not this year. Will be strange this year not blessing the Christmas turkey and going to mass pissed up on Christmas Eve...

Do you know you can watch RTE on their App now for free. I like how you can watch some of the Late Late Show in part, can watch the person you are interested in; rather than scrolling through the whole show. I watched Frances Brennan interview, a real gentleman and a funny guy too!