Ireland - any stories from growing up?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The death of the absolute and utter legend, Jack Charlton, has brought back so many memories. Packie Bonner saving that penalty at Italia 90 was a stand out moment of my childhood. Sad to see Jack go.
Me too! I feel so sad! The oleole ole song was my childhood 😭😭

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Asking a waitress in the UK for a toasted special and them looking at you blankly 🤣 a what?
This reminds me of when one of my friends moved to London, and on his first evening he went to the corner shop and asked if there were any "sliced pans" 😄 and yer wan behind the counter replied "saucepans?!" 😅
A friend of a friend emigrated to New Zealand. She did her back in loading up a car, and went to the doctor. He asked what happened and she said "well Doctor, I was putting my messages in the boot", and he was completely perplexed and didn't know what she was on about at all 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 6
The death of the absolute and utter legend, Jack Charlton, has brought back so many memories. Packie Bonner saving that penalty at Italia 90 was a stand out moment of my childhood. Sad to see Jack go.
one of the best summers ever. Even though I was only a kid.

We were just saying today how his passing brought back so many good memories!!!

“we’re all part of jackies army....” 🤣😂
didn’t they sell it on cassette in penny’s 🤣

the ONLY THREAD that allows me to call primark penny’s.

anyone remember the Christmas ad for penny’s?

• Heart

Penny’s, got a whole lotta things for Christmas

Reactions: 4
I am not a football fan but in 88, 90 and 94 everyone in Ireland loved it. I have the happiest of memories from those times. Jack Charlton was the best, the whole country is in mourning today. I have spent alot of today in tears, there was no one like him. Thank you Jack x

What about the TV shows... My favourite was Forty Coats, I loved it.

And
Penny’s, got a whole lotta things for Christmas
And a lot for the family 😂

Last edited:
  • Heart

Penny's got a whole lot of things from Christmas fa lala la la la

Reactions: 1
Love this thread, first time posting. I'm Irish, was living in Brazil for a few years and this thread would have depressed the life out of me if I was still there, so I feel for all of you feeling a bit homesick.

Anyway, does anyone remember Switzer's window at Christmas? They had the most amazing dispalys.
My mum used to haggle with the oul wans selling fruit out of old prams on Moore Street, we'd have the arms pulled out of us dragging the fruit onto the bus home.
One of the bus drivers when I was a kid used to abruptly stop if he saw a lump of coal on the road, get out and help himself! Ah, the 80s!

Reactions: 5
Is that Fr Jack ? what's another year beer 🍻 🥴
Certainly not Jack ;)

1594747874876.png

Love this thread, first time posting. I'm Irish, was living in Brazil for a few years and this thread would have depressed the life out of me if I was still there, so I feel for all of you feeling a bit homesick.

Anyway, does anyone remember Switzer's window at Christmas? They had the most amazing dispalys.
My mum used to haggle with the oul wans selling fruit out of old prams on Moore Street, we'd have the arms pulled out of us dragging the fruit onto the bus home.
One of the bus drivers when I was a kid used to abruptly stop if he saw a lump of coal on the road, get out and help himself! Ah, the 80s!
I do! I loved the Switzers ones. Moore St has changed an awful lot over the years though, or at least it had last time I was there!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
My dad used to use Fairy washing up liquid to do his!

I was born here, my parents both in Ireland. I use terms and sayings that my kids use but somethings they need to explain to their pals as they don't understand what they mean
An Irish friend has since told me her Dad used carbolic soap to wash his hair. Again he never went grey. Or bald!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
An Irish friend has since told me her Dad used carbolic soap to wash his hair. Again he never went grey. Or bald!
My mum overheard a young Irish woman being asked about her skincare regime, replying that she washed her face with "the red soap" i.e. carbolic soap! :eek:

• Wow
My dad used to use Fairy washing up liquid to do his!

I was born here, my parents both in Ireland. I use terms and sayings that my kids use but somethings they need to explain to their pals as they don't understand what they mean
it works like a clarifying shampoo every now and then!

Does anyone remember the "60 second quiz" on the Larry Gogan radio show ....

My favourite ever was when Larry asked " Who is the commentator for Formula1?" The answer was MURRAY WALKER.
Caller hadn't an idea, so Larry gave her a clue : "Think of something you would suck on, MURRAY MINTS?" and she replied: "Dickie Davies!". Best ever!

I also remember he would get some callers on, and they would only be able to answer one or two questions! Lovely Larry would say : Ahh, sure it wasn't your day today, what request Mary/Paddy would you like me to play!" He was the best ever!

RIP Larry.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1