Ireland - any stories from growing up?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My parents used to strategically place it on the table at dinner time, even if we weren’t misbehaving. The sight of that wooden spoon would be enough to keel us quiet.
My ma used the scholl sandal ,they had like a wooden sole you knew to run when she took it off 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
A saying i haven't heard for years cropped up at weekend, having a zoom chat with 2 school friends, I told a recently divorced pal I had seen an old flame of hers around, the other pal piped up to forget him "he hasn't an arse to his trousers" 😂😂

Fadge but I never made it ! Poteen never made that either 🥴 stews and wheaten bread..
Ah poteen, i remember one year, we travelled from Uk to Ireland for Easter and dad and myself went to grandas one evening, dad handed granda a bottle, "what's this " he asked, "Easter Holy Water" says da, granda proceeded to bless the house with what really was Poteen 😂😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
A saying i haven't heard for years cropped up at weekend, having a zoom chat with 2 school friends, I told a recently divorced pal I had seen an old flame of hers around, the other pal piped up to forget him "he hasn't an arse to his trousers" 😂😂

Ah poteen, i remember one year, we travelled from Uk to Ireland for Easter and dad and myself went to grandas one evening, dad handed granda a bottle, "what's this " he asked, "Easter Holy Water" says da, granda proceeded to bless the house with what really was Poteen 😂😂
What a waste 🥴 😂

Just discovered this thread, thought I was the only Irish one on here 😂 I grew up in the country in the west and at Christmas we would venture to one of the cities to do our shopping , anyone else?

Reactions: 6
Just discovered this thread, thought I was the only Irish one on here 😂 I grew up in the country in the west and at Christmas we would venture to one of the cities to do our shopping , anyone else?
Yeah 6th Dec up to the city for Christmas shopping 😂

Reactions: 5
I find this thread Hilarious. I’m English and I’ve been brought up here but my mum and all her side are Irish and my partners family are all Irish so everything posted here I identify with.
I remember when I was younger living in the north of england and people would ask why my mum spoke funny and I became quite embarrassed by it all so would never identify with my Irish side but I love it now and proud to come from Irish family. I remember having to go to Ireland every summer and spending the whole time crying because their was only 6 channels on the tv, no wifi and it was always raining 😂

I say a lot of Irish things like ‘oh she’s abit contrary isn’t she‘, cabbage and spuds is a weekly occurrence in our house, only drinking Barry’s tea. English friends find it weird we go to church every Sunday when the night before Il be paralytic in a pub giving out to people as they expect church goers to be all well behaved but it’s just Irish culture to go to mass wether you fully believe or not. My boss also finds it’s strange when I need to go to a funeral but need 3 shifts in a row off, the evening mass before, the day of the funeral and the hangover the next day as it’s just not really an English thing to do 😂

Also my mum chasing me round the house with a wooden spoon when I was naughty which I find is a much more Irish thing than English people 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
There are plenty! We'd go up on Dec 8th :)

Just in time for the Christmas decoration day
and GOD forbid you took your decorations down before little women's Christmas. Heathens!
I live abroad now and and see people taking down decorations on Dec 28, Jan 12, whenever they fancy while I'm having conniptions.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Not sure if anyone has said this, but family holidays up to Gaoth Dobhair and playing on bád Eddie ❤ I wish they would restore the boat, such a pity it’s disintegrating away 😔

Reactions: 1
Just on here as suffering insomnia.. the Irish are best at funerals. The English just don't get it. You bury your loved one, then go to the pub and have a fabulous time meeting up with cousins and reminiscing!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Anyone remember the Coca cola slide in mosney and mosney holiday's in general?

Only get your good clothes out on a Sunday to go to mass.

My mum still does this

My husband is Irish - Cork (I’m Scottish) we’ve been together for nearly 7 years and there’s still days go by where I just smile and nod because I don’t have a clue what he’s saying! Drunken conversations in our house must be interesting for an outsider 😂 I really bloody love Ireland more than anywhere on earth though ❤

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
The death of the absolute and utter legend, Jack Charlton, has brought back so many memories. Packie Bonner saving that penalty at Italia 90 was a stand out moment of my childhood. Sad to see Jack go.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I find this thread Hilarious. I’m English and I’ve been brought up here but my mum and all her side are Irish and my partners family are all Irish so everything posted here I identify with.
I remember when I was younger living in the north of england and people would ask why my mum spoke funny and I became quite embarrassed by it all so would never identify with my Irish side but I love it now and proud to come from Irish family. I remember having to go to Ireland every summer and spending the whole time crying because their was only 6 channels on the tv, no wifi and it was always raining 😂

I say a lot of Irish things like ‘oh she’s abit contrary isn’t she‘, cabbage and spuds is a weekly occurrence in our house, only drinking Barry’s tea. English friends find it weird we go to church every Sunday when the night before Il be paralytic in a pub giving out to people as they expect church goers to be all well behaved but it’s just Irish culture to go to mass wether you fully believe or not. My boss also finds it’s strange when I need to go to a funeral but need 3 shifts in a row off, the evening mass before, the day of the funeral and the hangover the next day as it’s just not really an English thing to do 😂

Also my mum chasing me round the house with a wooden spoon when I was naughty which I find is a much more Irish thing than English people 😂

All of this 😂🙌

Reactions: 1