Ireland - any stories from growing up?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone remember the "60 second quiz" on the Larry Gogan radio show ....

My favourite ever was when Larry asked " Who is the commentator for Formula1?" The answer was MURRAY WALKER.
Caller hadn't an idea, so Larry gave her a clue : "Think of something you would suck on?" and she replied: "Dickie Davies!". Best ever!

I also remember he would get some callers on, and they would only be able to answer one or two questions! Lovely Larry would say : Ahh, sure it wasn't your day today, what request Mary/Paddy would you like me to play!" He was the best ever!

RIP Larry.

Larry was a legend RIP..

I used to love MT USA with Vincent Hanley I can't believe he was only 33 when he died how sad :(

Reactions: 2
Larry was a legend RIP..

I used to love MT USA with Vincent Hanley I can't believe he was only 33 when he died how sad :(
I did not realise he had died and had forgotten about him, I am so long out of Ireland; just looked him up on wiki; apparently the first Gay celeb in Ireland. I recall listening to him on RTE Radio back in the 80s. It must have been so difficult for him back then, as homosexuality was illegal in Ireland until 1993. A fact I was unaware of until recently. Thank you for reminding me. RIP.

I did not realise he had died and had forgotten about him, I am so long out of Ireland; just looked him up on wiki; apparently the first Gay celeb in Ireland. I recall listening to him on RTE Radio back in the 80s. It must have been so difficult for him back then, as homosexuality was illegal in Ireland until 1993. A fact I was unaware of until recently. Thank you for reminding me. RIP.
Yes he died from AIDS., I think he contracted it in America it was kept quiet up until the last minute if I recall right, he was ill even while filming MT USA .He was a great guy and a big part of my youth ..RIP Vincent Hanley .

Yes he died from AIDS., I think he contracted it in America it was kept quiet up until the last minute if I recall right, he was ill even while filming MT USA .He was a great guy and a big part of my youth ..RIP Vincent Hanley .
Thank you for the update, yes; I agree he was one of the Radio 2 DJs I listened to back in the 80s as a teenager. RIP.

I love this thread 😆😆😆

Remember getting the fear of a Sunday night when ye heard the Glenroe theme tune?! SCHOOL TOMORROW HAVE I GOT MY HOMEWORK DONE PANIC

And when the mammy rings
Mam "Jesus guess who's dead...."
Me "who?"
Mam "Names the person "
Me "Don't know them mam"
Mam "aaaah ye do" and explains for 20 mins who the recently deceased is... names their relatives and different scenarios..
Me "em.... no...i can't say I know them mam"
Mam "oh right. Well that's another funeral for me and your father. Isn't there great drying out today? "
Me "😳"

My favourite ever was when Larry asked " Who is the commentator for Formula1?" The answer was MURRAY WALKER.
Caller hadn't an idea, so Larry gave her a clue : "Think of something you would suck on, MURRAY MINTS?" and she replied: "Dickie Davies!". Best ever!

I also remember he would get some callers on, and they would only be able to answer one or two questions! Lovely Larry would say : Ahh, sure it wasn't your day today, what request Mary/Paddy would you like me to play!" He was the best ever!

RIP Larry.

The Just a minute quiz! Ah they didn't suit you today Maureen 😄😄😄Larry was legend

LOVED MT USA. It made Sundays bearable back then. Back in the days where the only thing that opened on a Sunday was your fridge! 2 hours of great American music. Vincent was brilliant.

I used also love Barry Lang and The BeatBox!

Reactions: 5
I love this thread 😆😆😆

Remember getting the fear of a Sunday night when ye heard the Glenroe theme tune?! SCHOOL TOMORROW HAVE I GOT MY HOMEWORK DONE PANIC

And when the mammy rings
Me "who?"
Mam "Names the person "
Me "Don't know them mam"
Mam "aaaah ye do" and explains for 20 mins who the recently deceased is... names their relatives and different scenarios..
Mam "oh right. Well that's another funeral for me and your father. Isn't there great drying out today? "
Me "😳"
This is exactly the phone calls I would have with my Mum. In the end for a quiet life, I would say I knew them!!

I love this thread 😆😆😆

And when the mammy rings
Me "who?"
Mam "Names the person "
Me "Don't know them mam"
Me "😳"

The Just a minute quiz! Ah they didn't suit you today Maureen 😄😄😄Larry was legend

LOVED MT USA. It made Sundays bearable back then. Back in the days where the only thing that opened on a Sunday was your fridge! 2 hours of great American music. Vincent was brilliant.

I used also love Barry Lang and The BeatBox!
I remember Glenroe .Miley,biddy and Dinny Byrne 😂 ...Yeah Vincent certainly brought American music to this side of the Atlantic..

I remember my Granny doing this ,and showing me how to fold newspapers to make firelighters.
116372740_2715746298640458_5861840033443023510_n.jpg

Reactions: 3
I have just remembered a good one.
I was talking to a family friend at a funeral in Ireland, and we were discussing our teacher from national/primary school back in the 70's.
They were preparing for Confirmation (so very Catholic Ireland).
The teacher asked who are the 4 gospel writers?
One lad piped up with : Matthew, Mark, Luke & Ian Paisley......
He got 6 of the best for that!
You probably have to be from Southern Ireland to appreciate that!

• Haha
Reactions: 7

Caller hadn't an idea, so Larry gave her a clue : "Think of something you would suck on, MURRAY MINTS?" and she replied: "Dickie Davies!". Best ever!

RIP Larry.

He was the best, he used to bang out some random tunes be some 90s dance thrown in

Reactions: 1
"Come here while I tell you a question!"
"Will you go away having notions!"
"Is it a boy or a child?" (Pointing at my newborn baby dresses all in white)

Also does anyone here still do Women's Little Christmas? Tried bringing it back in to this house and no one was having any of it 🥴😔🤣

• Haha
"Come here while I tell you a question!"
"Will you go away having notions!"
"Is it a boy or a child?" (Pointing at my newborn baby dresses all in white)

Also does anyone here still do Women's Little Christmas? Tried bringing it back in to this house and no one was having any of it 🥴😔🤣
I love womens little Christmas it's so lovely. I've introduced it to friends here and they take part

Reactions: 1
If you’re from Dublin you have to remember Wesley underage disco on Fridays and the “over 18s” on Saturday. It was a right of passage for many. If those walls could talk !!!!!

Sad to see John Hume has passed he did a lot to bring about peace in the north RIP
92654336_10156755178007397_1699086773080031232_n.jpg

Reactions: 7
Sad to see John Hume has passed he did a lot to bring about peace in the north RIPView attachment 200644
So true such a shame to see him go, he did so much to broker the GFA.
R.I.P John

If you’re from Dublin you have to remember Wesley underage disco on Fridays and the “over 18s” on Saturday. It was a right of passage for many. If those walls could talk !!!!!
Yes, I remember we used to start going there at 13, I also remember my shame about all my mates being allowed in, while the bouncer put me in the "you look to young queue" for about 5 mins, in fairness I did look about 11 at the time.
Can still remember the impuse spray and Body Shop White Musk l drenched my self in, brings back happy memories, whenever I smell it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
So true such a shame to see him go, he did so much to broker the GFA.
R.I.P John

Yes, I remember we used to start going there at 13, I also remember my shame about all my mates being allowed in, while the bouncer put me in the "you look to young queue" for about 5 mins, in fairness I did look about 11 at the time.
Can still remember the impuse spray and Body Shop White Musk l drenched my self in, brings back happy memories, whenever I smell it.
He did ! He'll not get the send off he deserves now either with all the restrictions .I'm sure they'd be a lot of dignitaries would want to attend the funeral Clinton being a main one ..

He did ! He'll not get the send off he deserves now either with all the restrictions .I'm sure they'd be a lot of dignitaries would want to attend the funeral Clinton being a main one ..
John Hume’s family have asked the public not to line the streets when his body is being brought home. Instead, they have asked people to stay at home and light a candle for peace tonight at 9.00pm

Sad to see John Hume has passed he did a lot to bring about peace in the north RIPView attachment 200644
Brid Rodgers is the only one of the four there still alive, and was looking well in a brief interview on the news last night. Well into her eighties now, I think.

Last edited:
John Hume’s family have asked the public not to line the streets when his body is being brought home. Instead, they have asked people to stay at home and light a candle for peace tonight at 9.00pm
His daughter is a doctor so I was expecting they'd discourage people from gathering ,but some might not comply he was an institution in Derry ..

His daughter is a doctor so I was expecting they'd discourage people from gathering ,but some might not comply he was an institution in Derry ..
I think it will be difficult stopping them. However, they might respect the family’s wishes.