Ireland - any stories from growing up?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Isnt it funny how other nationalities have trouble with our irish names, we moved to the uk when i was 12 ish, my name was unpronouncable so it was shortened to Fi 😂 my brother Mícheal was called Mehole which we still call him today 😂 one of the funniest i saw on the Lorraine show was when Taoiseach was pronounced Teashop 😂😂
The funniest thing I seen regarding the Taoiseach .I mentioned him on another thread once, and someone popped up and thought it was a meditation app I couldn't stop laughing at the idea 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
The funniest thing I seen regarding the Taoiseach .I mentioned him on another thread once, and someone popped up and thought it was a meditation app I couldn't stop laughing at the idea 😂
That is funny but tgen Leo would like to be seen as laid back and zen 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1
& ordering a glass of lager in the pub, instead of a half of lager!

& and a prayer to St Jude for hopeless cases. The Child of Prague in the garden. The lit Sacred Heart on the wall of every house!
[/QUOTE]
Child of Prague lost his head when put outside the night before my wedding which was very lucky 👍 no snow or rain until photos were done and we were inside dancing!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
My dad used to use Fairy washing up liquid to do his!

I was born here, my parents both in Ireland. I use terms and sayings that my kids use but somethings they need to explain to their pals as they don't understand what they mean
I just love the the Fairy washing up liquid, probably better than DAZ! Made me chuckle...

I was born in England but both parents are irish and all my family are over there still.
I remember always being fascinated by the fact that when talking about people they always said “yer man” or “yer one” and everyone knew exactly who they meant 😂. Also my grandma or aunts calling random kids on the street, and knowing them only by what family they belonged to rather than name and sending them to the shop. After moving here my mum always judged my friends by who would go to the shop for her. If they refused it was never forgotten or forgiven even though it wasn’t a very English thing to do (or certainly not in London)🙈Other fond memories of going to the bog with my grandad, and the dogs always out by themselves all day chasing any cars that pulled off until they got to the end of the road and then coming home at night when they were tired 😂home baked soda bread, eating a huge breakfast at about 9am then a full on dinner at about 1pm!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Families or people with nicknames....
The Druids - their sons were priests
The jackie john billies - coz there were 2 Ryan families on the road
Johnny tyres- the garage man
Con the cone - he did the 99's in the shop
Mary eggs... She sold eggs
And a weird one , 2 brothers...
The Cog and the bobbin - i have no idea why. ....

Did anyone watch LONG LOST FAMILY on ITV last Monday night, about an Irish family. I found it very moving. There are definitely a few similar stories in my family.....I will share later.

Reactions: 3
Did anyone watch LONG LAST FAMILY on ITV last Monday night, about an Irish family. I found it very moving. There are definitely a few similar stories in my family.....I will share later.
I was shocked, it was sad and the mum was from kerry .. but i'm not surprised we had our first in late 1990's, we weren't married , stayed with mum (in kerry) after i had a traumatic birth and she did not want me to leave the house with the baby - the shame !! So what was it like when those kids were born. Very sad.

Reactions: 2
Families or people with nicknames....
The Druids - their sons were priests
The jackie john billies - coz there were 2 Ryan families on the road
Johnny tyres- the garage man
Con the cone - he did the 99's in the shop
Mary eggs... She sold eggs
And a weird one , 2 brothers...
The Cog and the bobbin - i have no idea why. ....
I recognise none of these it must be a north ,south thing ..Just by being on this forum I'm seeing how much to an extent Ireland is divided ,for such a small island...surprising..

I recognise none of these it must be a north ,south thing ..Just by being on this forum I'm seeing how much to an extent Ireland is divided ,for such a small island...surprising..
Oh we were wayyy down south ,there was a man with a politically incorrect nickname.. as kids we hadn't a clue it was taboo as we heard our dad (who was not racist call the man by the name he was known) but if we called him the politically incorrect name we ONLY knew him by we were told off😂😂😂

Oh we were wayyy down south ,there was a man with a politically incorrect nickname.. as kids we hadn't a clue it was taboo as we heard our dad (who was not racist call the man by the name he was known) but if we called him the politically incorrect name we ONLY knew him by we were told off😂😂😂
I get what you mean we have very little POC in the north .But what we were told to call POC while being a respectful term to us, is infact a disrespectful term to them .So I don't enter into those debates as I have very little knowledge in that area.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I get what you mean we have very little POC in the north .But what we were told to call POC while being a respectful term to us, is infact a disrespectful term to them .So I don't enter into those debates as I have very little knowledge in that area.
Edit that's sounds like I was barging you 😂 I just meant that's the way we were taught :ROFLMAO:

Does anyone still make champ? Hole in the middle and lots of butter. Eaten with a spoon, not a knife and fork.

• Heart
Reactions: 7