Invited to birthday party but there's a catch 🙄

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I would be annoyed too and would never have asked what your friend has.

Years ago a lady I worked with organised a cocktail party at her new house and invited some of the ladies in the department. I didn’t know her all that well but thought it sounded fun and I remember thinking we’d be learning how to mix cocktails. We were each told what bottle of alcoholic drink to bring and some people were told to bring mixers as well depending on the price of the bottle.

We arrived and no food was put out. She hadn’t asked us to bring food but I suppose I thought she might have put out crisps and dip etc.

We were not given a selection of cocktails and we were most certainly not shown how to make any drinks.

So after the party as the days go on, we begin to hear she is having a housewarming party with her partner as she was left with so much alcohol.

It was a private party and work people were not invited.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 19
Food part - don't blame you for being annoyed. We've always supplied and people have maybe got extra drinks/snacky bits but not compulsory or asked!

Ltf - I think that's you being touchy. It's such a simple thing to do, and yes they're not 100% accurate, but they're better than nothing. Lots of people are self employed/clinically vulnerable etc and catching it/having to isolate has a huge impact!

Reactions: 3
Oh the whole “bring your own sides and mains” is a shitshow! But the lateral flow tests I understand! I think you need to be more understanding. It may seem annoying but there may be others attending who are medically vulnerable or who feel anxious. Lateral flow tests are free to order home, order a batch and test yourself, it’ll take 1 minute to do and would put her and her guests at ease! Plus not only that but if you do choose to attend and she didn’t want everyone to get tested, someone else who has covid could easily give it to you! So this way you all know. It’ll be a social norm now to get tested before work, parties or weddings. Most people won’t want to risk their loved ones getting ill. I also have told all people to test themselves before coming to my partners birthday bbq. Some people felt offended by it and have stoped talking to us. But in all honesty, eff those people. If wanting to be safer offends people then so be it,be offended

Reactions: 4
The Lateral Flow test seems reasonable to me...it's going to have to be the new normal. People want to get back to normal, have parties, live their lives etc but they also want to be safe and if it means everyone has to take a simple LF test why not?

The food thing is weird though, i'd be expecting them to provide the food 🙈

Reactions: 2
I wouldn't be arsed about the test, but the food and drinks?! Is she the most miserable stingy person on earth?! It's a given to just take some bits and a bottle of wine/beers whatever but it's not a party if it's self catering. Nah you're alright thanks!

Reactions: 2
Just seen this and need to know if the party went ahead. I would have made my excuses and not gone if I and the other guests had to actually fund the whole party. Cheeky cow.

Reactions: 1
Omg OP hasn't posted on tattle since that day??!!
This is now a mystery I'm deeply into lol. Was the dilemma of the BBQ so worrying that she had to cease all connection with the world?

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Omg OP hasn't posted on tattle since that day??!!
This is now a mystery I'm deeply into lol. Was the dilemma of the BBQ so worrying that she had to cease all connection with the world?
Maybe she went and didn’t take a main course so they BBQ’d her? RIP OP ❤

• Haha
Reactions: 30
You can't drop a thread like this and then not let us know the outcome o_O

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32