Invited to birthday party but there's a catch 🙄

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can I just on this. I’ve recently been invited to two children’s parties (with my kids, I’m not a weirdo!) One at a farm and one at soft play. Now I have to pay for me and my kids to attend both of these events, the farm will cost £65 for all of us to go. On top of that we will have to buy food there and we will be expected to bring a present. In my eyes this isn’t a party, it’s the mums way of avoiding a party. I get everyone cant afford big dos, but surely just a pass the parcel and musical statues in a garden can be done on the cheap. Is this the new way of children’s parties?! At £65 a pop just got entry my kids won’t be going!
Nah that’s not on. That’s not a party that’s a play date.

Ive taken my kids to farm and soft play parties and hosted them myself and the parents have never paid for entry or food. The cheek!

Reactions: 11
Can I just on this. I’ve recently been invited to two children’s parties (with my kids, I’m not a weirdo!) One at a farm and one at soft play. Now I have to pay for me and my kids to attend both of these events, the farm will cost £65 for all of us to go. On top of that we will have to buy food there and we will be expected to bring a present. In my eyes this isn’t a party, it’s the mums way of avoiding a party. I get everyone cant afford big dos, but surely just a pass the parcel and musical statues in a garden can be done on the cheap. Is this the new way of children’s parties?! At £65 a pop just got entry my kids won’t be going!
Nope that's not a party that's a day out! Most places like that offer party packages that include entry and food!

Reactions: 6
LOL

HOW have some people got the nerve?!?

Reactions: 6
I would just refuse to go! Any parties at farms etc the child and an adult has been paid for!

My daughter was invited to a party earlier in the summer and I was asked to make a £10 contribution to attend, I just refused to go. If you can’t afford don’t have such an extortionate party in the first place there’s no need!

Reactions: 12
@Inforapenny is your friend born and raised in the UK?

I've been wondering because where I'm from it's standard to bring your own food to a BBQ (not a dinner party or lunch invite, where the host provides and cooks all the food - it's specific to BBQs). I might take a potato salad and sausages, someone else might take a green salad and lamb chops; and then we all share what we've brought and have a bit of everything.

Maybe this is some sort of cultural misunderstanding?

Reactions: 5
@Inforapenny is your friend born and raised in the UK?

I've been wondering because where I'm from it's standard to bring your own food to a BBQ (not a dinner party or lunch invite, where the host provides and cooks all the food - it's specific to BBQs). I might take a potato salad and sausages, someone else might take a green salad and lamb chops; and then we all share what we've brought and have a bit of everything.

Maybe this is some sort of cultural misunderstanding?
I know some cultures do potluck dinners.
As a general to any BBQ culturally guests offer to bring a dish eg extra meat, salad to share and contribute. Her friend is saying BYO to eat your own food.

Reactions: 2
Right this is a partial vent/partial am I being a tad precious?

A few weeks back my friend invited me to her bday party. I said great, I'm free and looking forward to it. It's a BBQ at hers so I asked, because this is what you, do you want us to bring.
Now when I'm invited to BBQ etc I of course bring stuff. We actually had a BBQ recently and although our friends brought stuff we wanted to put on a spread for them as they're our guests and we are hosts so didn't assume ppl would bring all the food/drink.

Anyway fast forward to today. I've just received a group message from my friend with a long list of requirements and instructions for the day 🙄 and it's got my back up and irritated me but I don't know quite why.

Firstly I'm now in a big WhatsApp group with randoms who can see me and my number. I find this intrusive.

Amongst The instructions are very detailed and we've been told if we want food/drink to bring a main, a side and our own drinks.

We've also been instructed that we must take a lateral flow test before we're allowed to attend.

This is where I get irritated, I feel like I'm at school or work! I don't like this idea of being told to do this in a social setting with friends. I'm double jabbed and appreciate the reason but If you're uncomfortable with mixing then don't organise a party during a pandemic, surely.

I know it's common sense BUT maybe it's the way we've been instructed.
If my friend had said in the initial invite I will expect you to take lateral flow test and be up front I'd know where I stand.

It's put me right off! I think it's the forced, most teacher type instructions and expectations that we have to do this.

I know there is logic to the test but I feel it's cheeky and not how you treat adults in a social setting and to tell us to bring a main, side and drinks again.....idk I just wouldn't dream of doing this.
I know ppl would bring stuff but wouldn't instruct them.

Rant over.
If they want you do an LFT it’s not a big ask. Takes you about a minute to set up. I think that’s perfectly reasonable, there might be people coming who are vulnerable and might feel they can’t come unless it’s done.
The main/side/drink thing is wierd. I’d bring some meat and beer to a bbq. Who cares about sides really?! Is bread a side? 😂

• Haha
Omg I need to know what happened!! Surely they must be getting sick of the notifications from this thread as they are clearly active on other threads? TELL US WHAT HAPPENED

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Maybe the people who went tested positive, so they are keeping quiet.

• Haha
I’m learning so much about the OP from her recent activity … a hate for nude wedding dresses, a love for smoothies, an interest in adult ADHD, a great dislike of Gordon Ramsay and the fact she had a small wedding … but why no update on the party of the year 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
I’m learning so much about the OP from her recent activity … a hate for nude wedding dresses, a love for smoothies, an interest in adult ADHD, a great dislike of Gordon Ramsay and the fact she had a small wedding … but why no update on the party of the year 😂
Baby names I hate thread + I will never buy from too.

At least we got an answer… feel bad about joking around now 😱😳🤣😭

• Haha
Reactions: 3