Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

sheleg

VIP Member
I find it hard to fathom how the real Anna managed to convince people she was a stylish heiress, with her pudding face and bad hair. The outfits she wore in court were some of the least chic clothes I’ve ever seen.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27

Dancing Dave

VIP Member
Good God I was SO frustrated watching this, especially the last episode. I don't think she should be revered. It's a fascinating story yes, but I don't at all think she deserves an ounce of praise. I don't care if she was swindling New Yorks elite, it's still morally wrong and people who "respect her hustle" are everything that's wrong with the world.

Rant over...great casting! The girl who played Anna, omg her accent irked me so much, my skin was crawling.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

Anasnake

VIP Member
There’s a thread on this on mumsnet and they’ve managed to turn it into an anti trans thread !

• Haha
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 21

rageinducing

Hated how Anna was portrayed, sure we all hate banks but she has delusions of grandeur and almost got away with daylight robbery. She wasn’t even a likeable personality, typical entitled bitch looking down her nose at respectable people who earn their money honestly. Neffs unwavering loyalty almost made me sick, seems like part of her still believes Anna is an heiress. Pathetic. Anna is a sociopath and will probably see herself as the victim for the rest of her life. She’s the epitome of something that’s wrong with society and the sense of entitlement some people feel, wanting this lavish lifestyle, notoriety and power but don’t want to do the hard work required to get there and sustain it. I didn’t feel any sympathy towards her whatsoever, she reaped what she sowed. It was funny though how the biggest bankers in the world fell prey to her con. That is unlikely to happen again as the controls get stricter now. As for Anna I hope she’s forgotten because that’ll be the greatest punishment for her.

Reactions: 19

LaBlonde

VIP Member
Just started last night, on episode 3. The actress playing Anna’s accent isn’t that great but then again I don’t know the real Anna sounds 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’m enjoying it so far though.
her accent is bang on to how the real anna speaks but i only know this because it sounded so odd that i had to go and do further research 🤣

enjoying the series and find the whole thing fascinating - but it’s really one of those stories where you root for absolutely no one because they’re all awful. she definitely targeted a section of new york society that were desperate to be in with someone who they thought would raise their status, and even better that that person was all european and ~*exotic*~.

i’m really looking forward to the elizabeth holmes series someone mentioned upthread too - another fraudster with an odd accent! though holmes was obviously playing with much higher stakes and peoples’ health.

Reactions: 16

BeachBaby

VIP Member
Finished this last night. I think I hated all of them really. The actress playing the reporter was terrible, her face made me want to slap it with the over expressions.
( not that I condone violence)

Reactions: 15

dm2022

Chatty Member
Who would win? 🤔

I didn’t make it to the end of Anna btw, for me as awful as Simon is. I found that show more watchable.

• Haha
Reactions: 15

Remotecontrol

VIP Member
I’m just up to the last two episodes and I have to say it’s a drag isn’t it? Could have been a decent 5/6 parter I guess.

I cant understand Neff’s loyalty to Anna at all

Reactions: 14

GossWhore

VIP Member
Just started last night, on episode 3. The actress playing Anna’s accent isn’t that great but then again I don’t know the real Anna sounds 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’m enjoying it so far though.
Folllwing Annas story from when it broke. Annas accent is over all the place.

I enjoyed the show but I wish they had focused MORE on Anna than the dumb ass reporter.

Call me a bitch but I don't sympathise with anyone. The glitterati and banks of NYC being scammed. Boohoo.

Reactions: 13

rosebud07

Good God I was SO frustrated watching this, especially the last episode. I don't think she should be revered. It's a fascinating story yes, but I don't at all think she deserves an ounce of praise. I don't care if she was swindling New Yorks elite, it's still morally wrong and people who "respect her hustle" are everything that's wrong with the world.

Rant over...great casting! The girl who played Anna, omg her accent irked me so much, my skin was crawling.
THIS 👆
I came here wondering if anybody else felt the same. this show is problematic on so many levels, especially the ending. when I saw all these older journalists cheering when Vivian informed them that Anna was found not guilty of the first charge I was just "what... da... fuq..." 😖
I feel like they treally tried to made Sorokin into some folk hero, and sell the story as "well, she's such a charming kid, maybe she did misbehave, but she doesn't deserve to be punished". It's almost like it was a PR exercise sponsored by Sorokin herself.
The worst thing they did was the part on Rachel. I read both the NY Mag and Vanity Fair stories back when they came out, and she seemed like a sweet, shy and a bit naive girl (which is NOT a crime). she was swindled by Sorokin and left with huge charges on her credit card. the show seems to put the blame on her, and accentuates that she got money from the VF article and a book she wrote about Sorokin. Like, how else was she supposed to get her money back??
If anybody has any doubts about Sorokin, go and watch an interview 60 minutes Australia did with her: How con-artist Anna Sorokin ripped off the New York elite and became a star | 60 Minutes Australia - YouTube
She has such heavy sociopathic traits, total lack of remorse or any semblance of conscience. it's truely stunning. and she is clearly delusional, saying at one point "it's nobody's business how much money I have". Like... girl, the whole world know your sad a$$ is flat broke, do you even believe your own lies???

1001 others

VIP Member
Coming today (/tomorrow, depending on where you are in the world)!

I'm so excited for this one ...

1644540631367.png

Who's going to watch?

sheleg

VIP Member
I hope she fades into obscurity. I’m sick of this American tendency to lionise literally anyone who does anything of note, be it criminal or otherwise. This sad desperation to create celebrities - it’s just boring by this point.

• Heart

Chinese_whispers

VIP Member
On the 8th episode now. Viv needs to get a life, even the translator is sick of her being this obsessive. I feel like the show could have been well wrapped up by now but is dragging on unnecessarily. Will finish it just to complete it but 😴

Pambo

I find it hard to fathom how the real Anna managed to convince people she was a stylish heiress, with her pudding face and bad hair. The outfits she wore in court were some of the least chic clothes I’ve ever seen.
That struck me too. She doesn't have that polished look of the wealthy. She looks kind of down at heel, even in designer wear, and sports a resting stare that'd creep out Charles Manson. By what's said of how she interacted with people, she sounds like a barely functioning autist, and there doesn't seem to be any kind of easy charm or charisma that can be attributed to her. The fundamental tool of the con person is to be likeable and Anna is totally bereft of that.

She is the living embodiment of 'act like you belong' but I wouldn't like to go as far as to say she was confident, because she strikes me as having zero social intelligence and thus incapable of the self awareness required to generate those sorts of feelings. The girl comes off as totally oddball. Like a robot trying to pass as human.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

pommynoir

VIP Member
I thought this was brilliant, but I didn’t like how Rachel was perceived to be the bad guy. I’d have capitalised on it too, why wouldn’t you 🤣

• Heart
This is one of those stories where I get the feeling there's a massive piece of the puzzle missing.

When I read more about the story, I got the feeling that a lot of her earlier grifting was actually for another party's benefit, and she just leveraged her own scams from that.

What interested me is that she seems to be connected to other significant scammers in NY in that period (like Billy McFarland). It's as though there's an underground industry that seeks to suck power and influence from the wealthy in NY, and they know each other and help each other out.

I think there's a couple of people missing from the official story, either for legal or reputational reasons, and it's those people that would make it all make sense.

• Wow

blueblueindigo

Oh god, I'm at the part where Vivian goes to Germany and starts stalking out the dad, having some Russian oligarch/mobster fantasy.... what purpose does that serve to plot, it's cringe, it's quite xenophobic... yikes.

Reactions: 11