Inventing Anna - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I loved this series. Didn’t realise it was true till about half way through 😂 at first I found Anna annoying but I really grew to like her! I can’t believe how much she got away with! I’m just fascinated by the real story of Anna now and keep googling it. & the balls she has. Not afraid of authority at all. I’d love to know more about her real parents but there quite private. I loved the scene where her and Todd had that huge argument and she finally dropped her guard and was vulnerable to him.
I'd like to have seen more from the perspective of her, rather than how other's perceive her. The series seemed to miss a lot out, like that initial move to London for Saint Martins, dropping out and landing an internship in Paris (how?), how did she manage to afford the day to day essentials before becoming the hustler and during this, after moving to N.Y?

To give her the benefit of the doubt, her parents seemed to favour the son over her, she didn't "fit in" with anyone, and actually had the chance to legitimately get into the fashion world before giving it all up to scam. It felt like she was constantly putting on this "face" to everyone, and they believed in. Neff seemed the only one in the show to see she was hustling, same as everyone else, but to a far greater extent. Everyone just seemed to use each other. Nora paid for the company of young men, the boyfriend taking all those kickstarter donations, Rachael scrounging off of her "friend", even the lawyers "used" her in some way, be it the original one to get his mojo back and pit her against his own daughter, or the latter wanting to draw in more clients.

Reactions: 6
I'd like to have seen more from the perspective of her, rather than how other's perceive her. The series seemed to miss a lot out, like that initial move to London for Saint Martins, dropping out and landing an internship in Paris (how?), how did she manage to afford the day to day essentials before becoming the hustler and during this, after moving to N.Y?

To give her the benefit of the doubt, her parents seemed to favour the son over her, she didn't "fit in" with anyone, and actually had the chance to legitimately get into the fashion world before giving it all up to scam. It felt like she was constantly putting on this "face" to everyone, and they believed in. Neff seemed the only one in the show to see she was hustling, same as everyone else, but to a far greater extent. Everyone just seemed to use each other. Nora paid for the company of young men, the boyfriend taking all those kickstarter donations, Rachael scrounging off of her "friend", even the lawyers "used" her in some way, be it the original one to get his mojo back and pit her against his own daughter, or the latter wanting to draw in more clients.
I would also like to see more from her perspective maybe we will once she is out of prison and writes a book!!

I hope she fades into obscurity. I’m sick of this American tendency to lionise literally anyone who does anything of note, be it criminal or otherwise. This sad desperation to create celebrities - it’s just boring by this point.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I hope she fades into obscurity. I’m sick of this American tendency to lionise literally anyone who does anything of note, be it criminal or otherwise. This sad desperation to create celebrities - it’s just boring by this point.
Oh agree, but there does seem a bit of a double standard where conmen get elevated/forgiven where conwomen are seen as fit for execution (unless you are a real housewife, then Bravo can make money from the drama) case in point. Gaudy Trump in the yuppie era, Catch me if you can, Wolf of Wall Street, the failed kick starter tech bro's and so on.

Reactions: 2
sorry I am half way through, but I do not get Anna'a accent....she is supposed to be german but ,,,,

sorry I am half way through, but I do not get Anna'a accent....she is supposed to be german but ,,,,
What does the accent sound like, for a native English speaker? Curious, as I'm not a native English speaker....

What does the accent sound like, for a native English speaker? Curious, as I'm not a native English speaker....
at first she sounded kinded of german, now she sounds like an american pretending to do a dutch accent, either way it keeps moving

Reactions: 4
So a few German magazines wrote that Anna Delvey will get deported to Germany!
I couldn’t find an english article about it yet…

I find it hard to fathom how the real Anna managed to convince people she was a stylish heiress, with her pudding face and bad hair. The outfits she wore in court were some of the least chic clothes I’ve ever seen.
That struck me too. She doesn't have that polished look of the wealthy. She looks kind of down at heel, even in designer wear, and sports a resting stare that'd creep out Charles Manson. By what's said of how she interacted with people, she sounds like a barely functioning autist, and there doesn't seem to be any kind of easy charm or charisma that can be attributed to her. The fundamental tool of the con person is to be likeable and Anna is totally bereft of that.

She is the living embodiment of 'act like you belong' but I wouldn't like to go as far as to say she was confident, because she strikes me as having zero social intelligence and thus incapable of the self awareness required to generate those sorts of feelings. The girl comes off as totally oddball. Like a robot trying to pass as human.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I think it just higighted how weird that elite socialite field is they're not friends just using each other and then they got duped fully by Anna

100% not German. Not even German with American mixed in.

I think German accents in English are lovely and have a softness to them (contrary to the reputation German gets as being a harsh language in comparison to the romance languages), hers is not soft, it's harsh and at least to me, clearly not German.

Unfortunately I don't have enough of an ear for other languages to place it properly.

I'd love it if someone could create a way of letting you understand what non-native speakers of a language sound like to native speakers. A French colleague once told me that French from English people sounds cute but maybe she was just being nice.

Reactions: 1
I’m watching the final episode after having it left to go for a couple of weeks 😴😴😴😴😴

I think the only character I really liked was the lawyer, and he was still ridiculous

I don’t understand why I finished it, but I’m glad it’s over

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I’m watching the final episode after having it left to go for a couple of weeks 😴😴😴😴😴

I think the only character I really liked was the lawyer, and he was still ridiculous

I don’t understand why I finished it, but I’m glad it’s over
I feel you 🤣

Yes, it's as though there's something bigger going on, and Anna was just an aspect of it.

It also reminded me of the total silence that surrounds the question of how Epstein got his money originally. I wondered if he had played a similiar style of long con and actually pulled it off.

Which then made me wonder just how close Anna may have actually been to ending up in a similiarly powerful position: accepted as a major global player without question by the elites, despite there being serious and obvious concerns, to anyone who bothered to look, over her character, behaviour and past.

When you think about it, Anna's story is the tale of a Gatsby who failed.

Epstein literally works for CIA Mossad - how is this nt common knowledge at this point ¿

I think it just higighted how weird that elite socialite field is they're not friends just using each other and then they got duped fully by Anna
I've had a break from this too, but I think you are right. None of them are good enough friends with anyone to really know who they are, apart from very superficially, so she fit in. She managed to get the big money from bank loans just because of the naked greed of her investors. They were so desperate to make even more money that they were more afraid of losing out to someone else than doing due diligence. They all deserved what they got. Even the victims.

I've had a break from this too, but I think you are right. None of them are good enough friends with anyone to really know who they are, apart from very superficially, so she fit in. She managed to get the big money from bank loans just because of the naked greed of her investors. They were so desperate to make even more money that they were more afraid of losing out to someone else than doing due diligence. They all deserved what they got. Even the victims.
i think the anna delvey case is truly fascinating - to be able to fool BANKS for several hudnred thousand dollars LOL thats a major fuckup on the bank part - i mean wtf... you gotta check ppls credentials, right.. also what i dont get - she presented herself as anna delvey constantly but her passport was sorokina so how did the banks not think that is fishy¿¿¿ i doubt she had a second passport its like superweird. and if you use one name to present yourself but your pass is different - how a bank can trust you after that is not comprehensible...

her vanity fair friend though, i find disgusting. obviously anna tricked her out of money, but that woman literally left her in MOROCCO and ran away - that was dangerous. like life threatening dangerous. morocco is known for human trafficking and in general not so great behavior towards christian women - and they just left her there.... insane really. and the vanity girl even got more money out of all the deals than anna.

all in all i hope anna finds a better way to occupy herself than to be a scammer, clearly she has talent and should use it for something porductive instead of wnating to fool the fyre festival rich kids lol

Watch it, then listened to the call me daddy podcast with her interview, she really does think she’s better than everyone else… I think she’s v clever, not scared to take risks

Reactions: 3