Inventing Anna - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m just up to the last two episodes and I have to say it’s a drag isn’t it? Could have been a decent 5/6 parter I guess.

I cant understand Neff’s loyalty to Anna at all
I can’t understand Todd’s loyalty! That stuff in the last episode just after the trial was 🤯

Reactions: 6
I’m just up to the last two episodes and I have to say it’s a drag isn’t it? Could have been a decent 5/6 parter I guess.

I cant understand Neff’s loyalty to Anna at all
Neff is delusional. The way she slags Rachel off (Rachel's not perfect but still......) and continually justifies Anna jeopardising Rachel's job and putting her into thousands of dollars of debt. She acts as if Rachel deserved to be treated like this just because she liked it when her "friend" who she thought was a generous millionaire bought her things. Can't stand victim blamers.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
The real life Neff is driving me mad on Instagram. I thought they portrayed her in the show very badly i.e loyal to a fault. But she seems to be really happy with how she came across and is shading people left and right who dare critique how Anna acted. I can’t believe she’s still friends with her!
She seems like such a dose, I followed then unfollowed a few days/weeks later after another one of her rants... same with Anna herself, she just seems vile.

Reactions: 6
Yanno I'm not 100% sure! I read it when it first came out (inhaled it actually!), and definitely had perceived she was buying clothes. But without reading the book again it's totally possible that's a false memory from the tv show.

But I did find it uncomfortable and fake that she was so involved with Anna and having her buy everything. Not wanting to pay for anything showed to me greed. Irrespective of someone's seemingly endless means, not buying anything in return or showing any appreciation and gratitude just read like social climbing and leeching.
To be honest it felt hard to feel sympathy for Rachael, judging on her portrayal here and interviews. Who expects their friend, even if wealthy, to cover e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g? It seemed like she had a fine time leeching off her "wealthy friend" and then started to call paying for her Morocco trip "fraud" when she had to foot the bill (like shouldn't she have footed her own share anyway, shouldn't she have checked the prices of the YSL tour previously so it wasn't a big surprise when the bill came to 2k?). I just didn't think her performance came off believable, like Anna wasn't her mum treating her to lunch, she was a friend who she took advantage of to live a luxe life.

The journalist Vivian's portrayal seemed quite unrealistic too, not just the ethics crossed, but this idea that she couldn't buy nappies and do her work, or even work from her bed instead of staying in the office late at night.

Lots seemed just padding things out, because there isn't much of a story, all the "relationship development" for other characters, like Anna's lawyers, Rachael and the photographer and Vivian, who cares. Cut that out and it could have been a two episode piece!

@Hinchhater1442, she prob has blown it already. She spent 50k from some scam in one month on stuff like hair and lash extensions (not like you would think she spends a lot on her looks either when you look at her, is it) yet she couldn’t sort out herself a proper place to live even for a few months, instead of just checking in and out of hotels (or being kicked out 😅)

Such a paradox that she has the ability to do all these scams but isn’t able to hold onto or manage money at all.
She could qualify for a multi-million pound loan(?!), but probably not be able to show proof income/wealth to rent somewhere plus have all the utility bills she couldn't just run away from. Living in hotels meant all inclusive, and being able to seemingly walk away, minus whatever items the hotels prevented her from leaving with.

With that 200k overdraft she could have stretched that out to live a modest life instead of burning it away in a few months, but that wouldn't have portrayed the generous lavish person she wanted to portray.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Just had a flick through the Vanity Fair article, and yeah I'm not impressed. During the trip to Morocco, Anna's card unsurprisingly gets declined after she said she would buy Kaftan's, one for Rachael too, Rachael did not say she declined this offer despite knowing the high cost, she just went to have tea in the seating area. Rachael offers to pay then "keeps a careful track of the receipt" and "adds it to her tab". Seriously, how can you go on a trip like that where your friend says she's covering the hotel and not even think you should chip in for shopping or a meal out? I find it very telling that Rachel kept track on what she spent on Anna, but never thought to add up the amount of money that Anna was spending on her.

Why even go on a trip like that knowing you can't afford your own share, let alone to be polite and treat your host?

There must be loads of entitled brats who have so much money they find paying for bills boring for her to have got away with it.

I'm not that bothered by the jet, kinda seems their own fault for not demanding payment. But if someone was around my house glugging my mineral water from the bottle *you in danger girl gif*
Yeah, that was pretty ungracious of her. Like the mask slipped when it came to her "real" interactions and not just the interactions she had when splashing the cash. Kacey seemed the most likeable character, secure with herself, fulfilling job with lots of well paying clients rather than having to leech of of "wealthy" Anna (or at least the show didn't present things that way, bar the Morocco trip). Was she actually paid though from the 200k overdraft, or was it all IOU's, that might have made the difference.

Her conversations seemed entirely based on motivational quotes, which seemed a bit scripted though. Still nicer to hear than Anna insulting people and going on about her father :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
None of those people came across well in the series I think. Sure, this is fiction, but I guess a lot of it must be true (embellished, yes, but the core of it likely correct). They probably felt "special" that a seemingly rich girl had chosen them to be their friend, and with it, a seemingly endless stream of free money. Very telling, that many of them did not want to be associated with it in the actual article from that journalist. I guess deep down they all knew that it's a) embarrassing that they didn't see through Anna's lies for such a long time, and b) that Anna did spend money on them for a long time and they took advantage of that. People scam money all the time, but if Anna really did hand out hundred dollar bills (and there's proof she did that) and Neff took that happily, or Rachael got her hair done in that fancy salon, etc, you really don't come across well, but rather as someone pretty blinded by alleged money and also greedy. Especially if you then start to keep tab the one time you really need to pay.

I know that Neff girl claims she always paid Anna back. Not sure if there's proof to that. She probably got out lucky because she wasn't part of that Marokko trip. I don't think she would have been happy (or able to) if she had been part of that trip to find that she'd be expected to pay the suites, room service, or the trip to the garden.

Reactions: 4
Jeff seemed like a hippo rite, wasn’t she only mates with her initially to get tips from her?

Reactions: 3
Oh god, I'm at the part where Vivian goes to Germany and starts stalking out the dad, having some Russian oligarch/mobster fantasy.... what purpose does that serve to plot, it's cringe, it's quite xenophobic... yikes.

Reactions: 11
The Germany part is the worst part of the entire show (mentioned above, I live next to Eschweiler):
It makes absolutely no sense to fly from New York to Berlin to then take a train to Eschweiler: Eschweiler is located right on the border to the Netherlands and by train is about 5-6 hours away from Berlin. The flight from New York to Berlin is also about 6 hours. If you want to go to this side of Germany, you either fly to Brussels, Cologne or Düsseldorf and you're right here, by train, within 1 to 1.5 hours. And you certainly don't take the train shown in the series, for the most part, that is a small local train stopping at every bush.
And don't get me started on the horrible ways the journalist imagined Anna arriving in Germany! Yes, this was in 2007, but even back then Germany didn't look as medieval as the series try to portray it (like the police, etc...). Or the butcher.... neither does it look like that in most parts, nor are they and all people racist and xenophobic. Hated the implication that everybody would automatically assume that someone from Russia must have some mobster ties or something like that (or Turkey for that matter, like that butcher).

My town has one of the largest technical universities in Europe and we have tons of students coming here to attend, very many from Russia (I swear, nobody is batting an eye on students from other countries, many stay and work well-paid jobs later on). I do wonder why Anna didn't attend there if she claims she was as good with maths as she claims to have been. Of course, you don't need to study something just because you're good at it and if she was more interested in fashion, there are also good options in Germany and the Netherlands.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
From her Instagram, Neff seems like an incredibly mean and aggressive person. Very unpleasant.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
From her Instagram, Neff seems like an incredibly mean and aggressive person. Very unpleasant.
I agree. As much as Anna did wrong I kinda feel the people around her were not innocent in their want to get something out the relationship and then felt stupid when they realised

Reactions: 5
I loved this series. Didn’t realise it was true till about half way through 😂 at first I found Anna annoying but I really grew to like her! I can’t believe how much she got away with! I’m just fascinated by the real story of Anna now and keep googling it. & the balls she has. Not afraid of authority at all. I’d love to know more about her real parents but there quite private. I loved the scene where her and Todd had that huge argument and she finally dropped her guard and was vulnerable to him.

Reactions: 2
I wonder how long her "'career" in Hollywood will last. Word of mouth travels very quickly, she is in reality as unpleasant and annoying as her portrayal in the show. she may have the glow of being Shonda's protegee for now, but it won't last long. I'm sure she will be back to working for Starbucks or some hotel in less than two years.

Reactions: 4