Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Shall64

Chatty Member
I found it hard to watch because of the god awful overacting, gurning, huffing and puffing of the journalist. She was so bad to watch I finally had to fast forward any scene she was in.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

ChloeBee

I enjoyed it a lot but there's a few things i feel i wanted more information on maybe?
JuliaGarner was brilliant, if you google the real Anna she has a very mixed accent. Anna is very fascinating to me she has to be textbook sociopath?
I know theres always people who support convicts or become groupies for famous criminals but its mad to me how the journalist in it supported her so much after? I know they spent time together but what redeeming qualities did Anna have other than splashing (other people's) cash on people lol

FrostyChops

VIP Member
I think they really did a number on Rachel. I'd be really upset if l were in her shoes. She's the only female victim who pursued it too. Ironic they did this to get l her whilst studying Anna was a victim of misogyny.

• Heart

Mark81

VIP Member
I'm trying with this but its a bit hard going. Not helped by everyone is just so awful, not sympathetic characters and its all superficial. Looked on imdb and see its 9 episodes, 9 hours seems a long time for this story

Reactions: 10

Yel

Chatty Member
I can't understand why Rachel didn't cancel her cards while on the way to the airport?

Some of the things Anna did were so smart and others so stupid that it was only a matter of time before they caught up with her. If she'd have tapped people for the cash to invest the club might have worked - enough people are gagging to hand over £1500 for a member's club and overpay once in there so maybe charging 15k for a super private club would be profitable?

I struggle with what was real and what was dramatised for the show. Although I assumed the coke and wine was Vivian imagining it.

Like most of Netflix stuff it was too long and drawn out.

ChloeBee

I find it hard to sympathise with the banks because i just find it so strange that she could get hold of the money she did without any checks or proof? I couldnt contact my bank and just ask for a £50k overdraft because im 'waiting for some money to come in'.
I did feel sorry for Rachel as to be left in the situation they were in in Morocco i wouldnt know what to do either other than give a card in, i dont blame her for taking the chance to make money after either, i think i would probably do the same if someone reckoned they'd pay for things then left me with a bill like that. I do question though why she let Anna spend a fortune on things for so long and then Rachel took it upon herself to organise things for morocco on Anna's dime, idk but i would feel weird if someone paid for everything all the time? I think i would be wondering for sure. Not condoning it as Anna did lie and scheme but i did think it was interesting when Neff said that Rachel was loving it until she had to pay or whilst it was fun or something to that effect. I can see how a jury would struggle to decide on guilty or not guilty for the crime against Rachel.

FrostyChops

VIP Member
There is a BBC sounds podcast on it.

I'm not enjoying how she is being portrayed as poor little dismissed woman.

Reactions: 9

sheleg

VIP Member
From her Instagram, Neff seems like an incredibly mean and aggressive person. Very unpleasant.

• Heart

Remotecontrol

VIP Member
I’m watching the final episode after having it left to go for a couple of weeks 😴😴😴😴😴

I think the only character I really liked was the lawyer, and he was still ridiculous

I don’t understand why I finished it, but I’m glad it’s over

• Haha
  • Heart

BeachBaby

VIP Member
I think they really did a number on Rachel. I'd be really upset if l were in her shoes. She's the only female victim who pursued it too. Ironic they did this to get l her whilst studying Anna was a victim of misogyny.
I think the journalist never forgave Rachel for beating her to publishing the article. Add that to her idolisation of Anna and bam! We have a bad guy!

Restless Native

VIP Member
maybe she imagined it, but there was meaning to it, showing us how anna saw her father and what shaped her. that's how i saw it
I took it as Vivian desperate to find a reason as to why Anna was the way she was. She grew to care for her and I wanted to find someone to blame like her parents. Anyway I felt sorry for Rachel. Couldn't give a toss about the rich banker wankers she ripped off

tarahalls

Chatty Member
Vivian is a terrible character! Why is she always huffing & puffing 🤯 You’d think she was dying, not pregnant! I’m also really distracted by Anna’s accent & can’t work out why a Russian or German woman would sound like she’s from America’s Deep South! Other than that I’m completely fascinated with how she pulled all this off, similar to the kid in Catch Me If You Can, she has some front!!!

1001 others

VIP Member
Going to watch this on my days off this week, I've listened to a few podcasts and watched a few interviews about her and find her absolutely fascinating. Gives me Belle Gibson vibes.
YES! The self-entitlement is definitely the same. I wonder if anyone is working on a drama about Belle? They should! Demi Harman would play her quite well.

I'm trying with this but its a bit hard going. Not helped by everyone is just so awful, not sympathetic characters and its all superficial. Looked on imdb and see its 9 episodes, 9 hours seems a long time for this story
I'm not going to lie ... at first I loved it, but it does drag on a bit. Each episodes is mainly dedicated to one of the players / characters so you need to watch them all to see where they all fit in. That said, there some that get mentioned once and never again, which is frustrating. It was a good show to catch up all my ironing and paperwork sorting, to.

aidil

VIP Member
I found it hard to watch because of the god awful overacting, gurning, huffing and puffing of the journalist. She was so bad to watch I finally had to fast forward any scene she was in.
THIS! Every single scene she looks like she’s chewing on a wasp, I couldn’t cope with her overly expressing every emotion. What were they thinking when they cast her?!?

• Haha
Reactions: 8

dm2022

Chatty Member
I found her story fascinating but finding the series quite hard going (am 3 episodes in). Enjoyed the Tindler Swindler more.

I know the accent is meant to be ‘off’ but it’s also really grating on me

blueblueindigo

Just had a flick through the Vanity Fair article, and yeah I'm not impressed. During the trip to Morocco, Anna's card unsurprisingly gets declined after she said she would buy Kaftan's, one for Rachael too, Rachael did not say she declined this offer despite knowing the high cost, she just went to have tea in the seating area. Rachael offers to pay then "keeps a careful track of the receipt" and "adds it to her tab". Seriously, how can you go on a trip like that where your friend says she's covering the hotel and not even think you should chip in for shopping or a meal out? I find it very telling that Rachel kept track on what she spent on Anna, but never thought to add up the amount of money that Anna was spending on her.

Why even go on a trip like that knowing you can't afford your own share, let alone to be polite and treat your host?

There must be loads of entitled brats who have so much money they find paying for bills boring for her to have got away with it.

I'm not that bothered by the jet, kinda seems their own fault for not demanding payment. But if someone was around my house glugging my mineral water from the bottle *you in danger girl gif*
Yeah, that was pretty ungracious of her. Like the mask slipped when it came to her "real" interactions and not just the interactions she had when splashing the cash. Kacey seemed the most likeable character, secure with herself, fulfilling job with lots of well paying clients rather than having to leech of of "wealthy" Anna (or at least the show didn't present things that way, bar the Morocco trip). Was she actually paid though from the 200k overdraft, or was it all IOU's, that might have made the difference.

Her conversations seemed entirely based on motivational quotes, which seemed a bit scripted though. Still nicer to hear than Anna insulting people and going on about her father :)

Last edited:

1001 others

VIP Member
I've finished it at long last!

I did enjoy it, but found "Vivian" a complete pain in the butt. She was so whiney and needy.

Off to watch "Rooney" on Amazon now.