Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Yup and Martin Shkreli (scene when they were at dinner and the guy had bought the Wu Tang album was there)

View attachment 1061338
Yes, it's as though there's something bigger going on, and Anna was just an aspect of it.

It also reminded me of the total silence that surrounds the question of how Epstein got his money originally. I wondered if he had played a similiar style of long con and actually pulled it off.

Which then made me wonder just how close Anna may have actually been to ending up in a similiarly powerful position: accepted as a major global player without question by the elites, despite there being serious and obvious concerns, to anyone who bothered to look, over her character, behaviour and past.

When you think about it, Anna's story is the tale of a Gatsby who failed.

Reactions: 8

bitterntwisted

VIP Member
I slogged it out to the end and ended up finding that the central characters sucked and Rachel Williams getting screwed over in this series. They diluted her story to a middle-class white girl who has never suffered in her life, got a job at Vanity Fair after a couple of months, pathetic hanger on, who was stupid enough to get conned. The cherry on the this shit sundae is how dare she try to go after a fraudster and turn her misery into monetary gains. Who wouldn't try to make lemonade out of lemons? In real life, Rachel didn't get her debt forgiven by Amex until Anna was convicted and she did transfer the debt from her work credit card to her personal one.

• Heart

Yel

Chatty Member
What parts of the journalist character were even real?

I don't mind a little creative license. But the getting clearance from the vital person while in labour was so 🙄🙄🙄

Chinese_whispers

VIP Member
The real life Neff is driving me mad on Instagram. I thought they portrayed her in the show very badly i.e loyal to a fault. But she seems to be really happy with how she came across and is shading people left and right who dare critique how Anna acted. I can’t believe she’s still friends with her!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 7

Codiaeum

VIP Member
I enjoyed the show but i couldnt get past the journalist looking a lot like someone i used to work with 🤣

Did anyone else watch the doc on the fyre festival after this? Intresting Anna knew the guy behind that
I watched the Fyre documentary last year or so and really enjoyed it.
What I find really interesting is that Anna knew him and her boyfriend was also a con artist. Looks like alike people really find each other.

I enjoyed watching it and I have to admit I even liked the journalist (yes, her face was very expressive - but she is still like she was in My Girl, I thought).

What I found very interesting was how Anna's parents behaved:
They were so detached from her, quite cold. Both the journalist and the lawyer were astonished that they showed so little interest in their child.

Anna was completely alone.

Same with her obsession with clothes that she developed in school. It seems that she lost her identity when the family moved to this small town in Germany and she was bullied and then she turned to fashion and developed a snobbish attitude to "reinvent / create" herself, almost as a kind of survival mechanism maybe.

So she adapted this stylish, overly confident and arrogant personality to the extend that she actually identified with it.
The scene in prison with her lawyer, after she got convicted demonstrates it beautifully: she first rants that he betrayed her in his closing speech as she felt she was close to getting all this money and wanted the world to know that, and then after ranting about how brilliant she is she finally breaks down saying "I am a liar" and cries and sobs like a hurt child and the lawyer comforts her - he and the journalist saw through her confident / arrogant facade and saw the little lonely girl looking for attention and love who wanted to be someone special.
That is why they stood by her.

-> That is my interpretation of the story and Anna anyway.

Dianne

Chatty Member
I found it hard to watch because of the god awful overacting, gurning, huffing and puffing of the journalist. She was so bad to watch I finally had to fast forward any scene she was in.
I think the exact same! I’m enjoying it but the journalist’s facial expressions are so annoying! Every expression is contorted and exaggerated, it’s driving me mad! Don’t like her character at all really. Find her quite cheesy.

strawb

VIP Member
i took the wine scene as a ''i have so much money i can afford to waste this wine'' kinda thing

pommynoir

VIP Member
I didn’t really understand the bits with her parents. Had they just had enough of her and couldn’t do it anymore? And the wine and Diet Coke scene, was that someone imagination? - I was tired when I binged watched it, so feels like a dream now lol
I am confused over that scene too.., The wine and coke was when they moved to Germany and the dad was all of a sudden rich and powerful, he ordered the most expensive wine on the menu and the waiter questioned it… so he bought it anyway and added coke to it basically showing that he’s rich enough to do what he wants and he doesn’t “need” to appreciate the expensive wine. I thought they were suggesting she got her nonchalant attitude from him.

i was so confused then when Vivienne met the parents and he was so humble like I’m a normal guy, I’m not a gangster etc.

waittillyahear

I enjoyed it but I felt like they spent more time getting into the journalist’s character than anna’s, they could’ve gone a lot deeper with her.

Beverley Macker

VIP Member
I just watched this and I recognise Kacy from Lindsay Lohans awful reality show that she did when she came out of prison. Kacy comes across as a real hanger on trying to ingratiate herself and sucks up to Lindsay, big style. I actually found it uncomfortable to watch.
I wasn’t surprised when I realised it was the same woman, befriending and leaching off of another rich young girl.

• Wow

Yel

Chatty Member
She didn't just make back her money, amex refunded it all (presumably that bit of the show must have been true?).

I was with Anna rolling my eyes at Rachel's first performance in court. She lost me when she didn't cancel the cards. Was she still hoping Anna was legit and didn't want to loose the perks that came with her?

Katydoo

I loved it! I think knowing it actually happened gave it more intrigue. Having watched this and Tinder Swindler recently, I have zero sympathy for any of the ‘victims’… naive, gullible but most of all greedy and money-obsessed. None of them would’ve given either of them the time of day had they not pretended to be rich.

• Heart

BeachBaby

VIP Member
THIS! Every single scene she looks like she’s chewing on a wasp, I couldn’t cope with her overly expressing every emotion. What were they thinking when they cast her?!?
She kind of ruined watching it, made it all seem a bit vaudeville.

Codiaeum

VIP Member
The Germany part is the worst part of the entire show (mentioned above, I live next to Eschweiler):
It makes absolutely no sense to fly from New York to Berlin to then take a train to Eschweiler: Eschweiler is located right on the border to the Netherlands and by train is about 5-6 hours away from Berlin. The flight from New York to Berlin is also about 6 hours. If you want to go to this side of Germany, you either fly to Brussels, Cologne or Düsseldorf and you're right here, by train, within 1 to 1.5 hours. And you certainly don't take the train shown in the series, for the most part, that is a small local train stopping at every bush.
And don't get me started on the horrible ways the journalist imagined Anna arriving in Germany! Yes, this was in 2007, but even back then Germany didn't look as medieval as the series try to portray it (like the police, etc...). Or the butcher.... neither does it look like that in most parts, nor are they and all people racist and xenophobic. Hated the implication that everybody would automatically assume that someone from Russia must have some mobster ties or something like that (or Turkey for that matter, like that butcher).

My town has one of the largest technical universities in Europe and we have tons of students coming here to attend, very many from Russia (I swear, nobody is batting an eye on students from other countries, many stay and work well-paid jobs later on). I do wonder why Anna didn't attend there if she claims she was as good with maths as she claims to have been. Of course, you don't need to study something just because you're good at it and if she was more interested in fashion, there are also good options in Germany and the Netherlands.

• Heart

TheLadyTea

VIP Member
I’m just up to the last two episodes and I have to say it’s a drag isn’t it? Could have been a decent 5/6 parter I guess.

I cant understand Neff’s loyalty to Anna at all
Neff is delusional. The way she slags Rachel off (Rachel's not perfect but still......) and continually justifies Anna jeopardising Rachel's job and putting her into thousands of dollars of debt. She acts as if Rachel deserved to be treated like this just because she liked it when her "friend" who she thought was a generous millionaire bought her things. Can't stand victim blamers.

• Heart

Chinese_whispers

VIP Member
I agree with Anna saying Rachel has "very flexible moral standards" and "shamelessly exploited her connection". I'm glad hbo dropped her.

Not sure I liked any of them, maybe the ditzy 💫universe💫 personal trainer.

Presumably Rachel's cringy "omg this is where Chloe (Kardashian) was" and being bitchy to neff calling her out of shape was based on reality? She does seem rather basic.
I agree with you. Kacy was the only one I liked by the end. Rachel didn’t come across well at all, but it can’t be that far off reality? She had what she thought was a rich friend and got fucked over. But she lost me after she made her money back and then sold her story and still going ahead with the trial / selling to HBO.

the details around the card seem irrelevant to me? Because she gave it willingly and didn’t cancel at the airport.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6