Instamums #3 Egos inflating as differing opinions are disregarded as hating

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's such a shame people feel like this as there are some gems in between the endless gifting. I really like some try on stories as I might see stuff I'm interested in that I wouldn't have noticed before. Dmbl40 does this well when she does her M&S stories. Bits like this keep me following

Now that Zara are doing affiliate links all the fashion instawankers are absolutely caning them! šŸ˜‚ Just goes to show what theyā€™re interested in is making a buck rather than recommending good quality, sustainable purchases. DMB regularly slagged them off, now sheā€™s doing changing room try ons with swipe ups a plenty šŸ™„ Disclaimer; I love Zara but we all know that the quality is often shite.

Reactions: 2
Now that Zara are doing affiliate links all the fashion instawankers are absolutely caning them! šŸ˜‚ Just goes to show what theyā€™re interested in is making a buck rather than recommending good quality, sustainable purchases. DMB regularly slagged them off, now sheā€™s doing changing room try ons with swipe ups a plenty šŸ™„ Disclaimer; I love Zara but we all know that the quality is often shite.
I refuse to ever swipe up to one of those links. I think they leave cookies on your device for more than one visit to the site. I see dmb is also doing them for Christmas gifts. It's so obvious that its all about earnings. It makes it so easy to see something, want it, buy it when you probably didn't want or need it anyway. They cannot say they are not influencing people to buy stuff when they do that.

Reactions: 4
When blaggers are gifted items of value, are they obliged to declare the value of those items as income?
No. They are viewed as items needed to do their job, ie reviewing and sharing with their followers. The payment they get on top for doing so (most brands will be paying on top of supplying gifted items) needs to be declared but not items being reviewed.

When blaggers are gifted items of value, are they obliged to declare the value of those items as income?
My understanding is that if a gift is made, whether a holiday or actual item with a prior agreement to produce content then it has to be declared. A grey area is when gifts arrive ā€œout of the blueā€ with no agreed prior arrangement to produce content. I think as things stand at the moment it does not have to be declared even if the influencer goes on to produce content. I think this is an area that Iā€™m sure will be tightened up at some point in the future. How do the brands get the influencers address in the first place for the ā€œout of the blueā€ gifted items to be delivered. You would assume that a conversation takes place behind the scenes to arrange delivery and possible exposure. I would imagine in most instances the brand will say something along the lines of ā€œno obligation but If you love said item would you share on your accountā€.
Iā€™ve no idea re affiliate income though - can anybody clarify?

My understanding is that if a gift is made, whether a holiday or actual item with a prior agreement to produce content then it has to be declared. A grey area is when gifts arrive ā€œout of the blueā€ with no agreed prior arrangement to produce content. I think as things stand at the moment it does not have to be declared even if the influencer goes on to produce content. I think this is an area that Iā€™m sure will be tightened up at some point in the future. How do the brands get the influencers address in the first place for the ā€œout of the blueā€ gifted items to be delivered. You would assume that a conversation takes place behind the scenes to arrange delivery and possible exposure. I would imagine in most instances the brand will say something along the lines of ā€œno obligation but If you love said item would you share on your accountā€.
Iā€™ve no idea re affiliate income though - can anybody clarify?
Affiliate income must be declared as it is earnings.

Gifts / items sent for review / holidays do not have to be declared as they are viewed as "tools of the trade". This is why influencers post so much when they are away with brands like Destinology and show us so much of the extras / the beach / the spa, they are selling the brand to us (read ramming it down our throats) and trying to prove they are not "just on holiday". They are posting to prove they are working so when HMRC look through their feed they will see numerous posts to support that.

As i said, any item sent for review that comes along with a payment needs to have the payment declared as this is earnings, but items do not. So all those dresses, shoes, Gousto boxes are not included on self assessment

• Wow
We had to pay tax on cabs home after working late, (after 11 pm) over a certain amount. I donā€™t know if this applies now. Think it was called benefits in kind.

Who knew they got 7% from affiliate links? That was quite an eye opener for me, i thought it was less. Thatā€™s really going to add up when youā€™ve a lot of followers!

Reactions: 7

Gifts / items sent for review / holidays do not have to be declared as they are viewed as "tools of the trade". This is why influencers post so much when they are away with brands like Destinology and show us so much of the extras / the beach / the spa, they are selling the brand to us (read ramming it down our throats) and trying to prove they are not "just on holiday". They are posting to prove they are working so when HMRC look through their feed they will see numerous posts to support that.

As i said, any item sent for review that comes along with a payment needs to have the payment declared as this is earnings, but items do not. So all those dresses, shoes, Gousto boxes are not included on self assessment
If you think about the income they could generate by selling a lot of the stuff they are gifted, it really should be taxed in some way. It would be difficult to police though. Think about the sales that go through pages like preloveddesignersale, it could make a lot. I know some donate the proceeds to charity but not all

Who knew they got 7% from affiliate links? That was quite an eye opener for me, i thought it was less. Thatā€™s really going to add up when youā€™ve a lot of followers!
I had no idea

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
Has anybody seen Susie Verrilā€™s stories? Which instamum has been going incognito on here šŸ‘€?!

Has anybody seen Susie Verrilā€™s stories? Which instamum has been going incognito on here šŸ‘€?!
Oh I wondered what was happening as Ultimate Girl Gang and Elle Wright had mentioned there was drama. Interesting... šŸ§

Reactions: 3
Oooh love a bit of drama šŸ¤£ Iā€™ve just gone to look at her stories (never watched her before) and Iā€™m so intrigued! šŸ¤”

Reactions: 1

Are you sure? Iā€™ve been reading up on this on many U.K. taxation websites and the value of gifted holidays are deemed taxable and need to be declared if some agreement has been made with the brand to promote it.
Here is a link to one of the many websites that explain ā€œinfluencerā€ taxation.

check out this blog from One Roof Social which also indicates the same ie that gifted holidays would need to be declared.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.