Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
If you are offended by the term and phrasing of privilege then that's your own work to do, I'm white, well educated - and yes, privileged. Doesn't mean I don't struggle or haven't worked hard or never have a hard day, but my life is not made harder by the colour of my skin or my income etc. There is nothing wrong with being white & middle class, there is if you look down on others, never look outside your own bubble or fail to acknowledge/recognise the privilege that comes with money and status.

• Heart
Reactions: 57

Dumbdumb

The fact is, fitting into the middle class bracket is easier because you are white. That's the point. Yes you worked hard, but no matter how hard minorities work, the "brakes" (sp) are easier if you're white.

Therefore those who are white and middle class should be doing work to dismantle the system they're benefiting from because it's inherently racist.

• Heart
Reactions: 43

letitallout

I’m not lucky to be where I am we worked hard to get there. That’s not to say people who aren’t there don’t work hard. Sometimes it’s about the brakes you catch on the way. What I do object to is the way themiddle class white Label is used almost as an insult!
“We worked hard to get there” that’s the whole point - thinking it’s all your own hard work when actually the fact you grew up with access to good education, probably parents who encouraged you to work hard and facilitated extra curricular activities, weren’t potentially discriminated against at interviews due to the colour of your skin, gives you a privilege that is more than those who also work hard but don’t have the same background. I’m white middle class too and worked really hard at school and uni and have a successful career which I’ve worked hard to forge but I recognise that it’s not *just* down to my hard work.

• Heart

Instawanker

I get so fed up of reading “Middle-class white privileged” . Like it’s something to be ashamed of. Due to circumstances of birth, and then the career pass me and my husband have chosen I fit that bracket I don’t see why I should be ashamed to be in it!
Lucky for you but a large percentage of the population are not in the bracket (although you wouldn’t know from looking at a lot of campaigns on Instagram).

I believe that diversity is key and there is nothing wrong with our privilege as long as we acknowledge it and use it for good

• Heart

ThreeFourFive

I am most definitely white and middle class and untroubled by it. Like so many people I am simply an accident of birth! Real class is knowing how to behave, having a moral compass and most certainly not flogging people crap, exploiting your children or flaunting your wealth and the house that exploiting your children paid for. Nor is it about infantilising the everyday like working and raising children. Rightly or wrongly, the term white middle class has come to describe these salespeople, the ones who use their privilege for greed. Really not classy. My parents were very clear that with privilege comes responsibility - something you don't see much of with these "influencers", a word which will surely come to be seen as a byword for greed, greed, greed. (Now, can someone help me off my soap box - I have a bad ankle!)

• Heart
Reactions: 33

Highlandcow

VIP Member
I’m not lucky to be where I am we worked hard to get there. That’s not to say people who aren’t there don’t work hard. Sometimes it’s about the brakes you catch on the way. What I do object to is the way themiddle class white Label is used almost as an insult!

I see these white privilege middle class folk aa people who have not worked hard to be there they have landed themselves there. Handouts from parents to get on the property ladder, rich husbands who are never seen on the gram, whiff of private school about them, basically someone who has been pandered to most of their lives and now lives in the south east of England, votes Tory and drinks Pimms, I really wouldn't want to lump myself in that category. Middle class white privilege isn't something you can work hard for you just are.

Reactions: 31

Snarkypants

VIP Member
You must be fucking joking me. Actually disgusted. Sge can clearly afford to rent privately, and that house could go to someone who actually *needs* it

I'll expand on why I'm so disgusted. I grew up in a council house in the 80s, the child of a young single mum who was abandoned. We had bare floorboards and no paint or wallpaper in most rooms. It was so cold. My parents live on a council estate now, one is disabled (stepdad), the other is seriously ill with cancer (mum). We needed our roof when I was a child, my parents need theirs now, with barely any income. And you have this woman, who is now in the fortunate position to go it alone, according to their own admission of earning well, and she wont, because... "why should she??" Are you kidding me?? she says they can't afford to buy in that area. And what? Neither can many of us, move a bit further out. The sense of entitlement has really fucking vexed me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21

Carobee

I have to say my life is better for unfollowing most of the instamums & influencers. I follow only my friends and who I interact with on there and it really has made my life better I didn’t realise how much seeing all these blaggers influenced me and changed my mood on a daily basis. I don’t want to see them all wearing same dress and boots at same party I don’t want to see them opening their post. I want to see my friends and people I like doing normal things.

Ailudge

I LOVED the instragram reference on Killing Eve - did anyone see it?

Villanelle at a table in Amsterdam drinking coffee looking incredible. Girl comes up asking “can I take your picture for my Instagram?” Villanelle scoffs and replies “Of course not. Lame! Get a proper life”

I laughed and thought of these ridiculous instamums

• Haha

Exhaustednurse

VIP Member
I think the instamums have broke me. I’ve been doing 50 hour weeks solidly for years in my nursing role. I am stressed, exhausted and short with my family. My kids get the crumbs of me. I spend all my free time worrying about work, whether it’s about patients, regulation, more junior nurses and how they will cope or just a general worry about what has happened to my beloved profession.

Why do I let myself watch these vapid, rich, privileged women? Why do I let myself get wound up by their greedy, entitled ways? I wouldn’t want to be them but I’d sure as hell like to experience their relatively stress free existence

I’m in a grump

Reactions: 20

EmilyChambers

VIP Member
I get so fed up of reading “Middle-class white privileged” . Like it’s something to be ashamed of. Due to circumstances of birth, and then the career pass me and my husband have chosen I fit that bracket I don’t see why I should be ashamed to be in it!
The white middle class privilege is just that. A privilege. Because you were born into it, it already opened up a wealth of opportunities and doors for you. Those doors remain firmly closed for many, many people and will unlikely open for them.

No one is saying it's anything to be ashamed of but you need to realise that it advantages you but doesn't advantage everyone. This is a classic white privilege comment, only taking your own feelings into account and making it about you.

Camp Bestival is an utterly embarrassing shit show of a festival that is literally for white middle class people. When asked last year about their representation of people of colour, they said their were fully inclusive of everyone. Except all the entertainer and food stalls etc were all provided by white people. After much public pressure, they took on one ONE black person and actually said, "see, we ARE inclusive. Absolutely disgusting.

It's a hard pill to swallow when your white privilege is pointed out to you.

“We worked hard to get there” that’s the whole point - thinking it’s all your own hard work when actually the fact you grew up with access to good education, probably parents who encouraged you to work hard and facilitated extra curricular activities, weren’t potentially discriminated against at interviews due to the colour of your skin, gives you a privilege that is more than those who also work hard but don’t have the same background. I’m white middle class too and worked really hard at school and uni and have a successful career which I’ve worked hard to forge but I recognise that it’s not *just* down to my hard work.
Yes!!!!!!!!

It almost implies that people who are not on highly paid roles or living in a big house are there because they chose not to work hard enough. Absolute crap.

Whose more likely to succeed? A child from an area where county lines are active and a normal way of life and who could very well end up in a gang just to survive or a child who is lives in a nice town with, probably, a stay at home Mom and a Dad in a well paid career, whose off to a nice school and may go to University or travelling, depending on how they feel.

Child B is more likely to succeed because of their white privilege which has afforded them the opportunities to live in a nice area, to attend a good school, to have parents to afford Uni and to give them options.

Yet they will always sulk and get defensive and say someone lower than them didn't work hard enough. They won't acknowledge that their background afforded them opportunities and the chance to be able to work and have choices rather than desperately trying to survive.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Exhaustednurse

VIP Member
What I find odd is that they base their business model on being relatable. The whole, I’m like you, helps them sell things to people.

But yet I just don’t know anyone like them all in real life. I know no one who spends all day trying clothes on or fussing about what bronzer to use. I know no one who takes everything so seriously as they do. Eg, having a break from alcohol? That becomes ‘being sober’. Both parents working long hours and having to manage childcare tightly? That
Becomes ‘tag teaming’
It’s all so pretentious

I love clothes, make up and all that sort of lovely stuff. I’m very lucky to earn enough money to buy things from places like Whistles, Sezanne and space NK.

But I cannot imagine my whole day being about stuff that is essentially pretty frivolous. Surely the likes of DMBLF, Chloelovestoshop and Luludumas must question themselves? Every now and again they must reflect on the fact they their sum contributions are whether to buy a new maxi dress or get a facial? Tragic!

EmilyChambers

VIP Member
Yep no doubting it would of been more of a hurdle if I was black but I’m not and I refuse to apologise for something I can do nothing about.
And that comment is a spot on example of white privilege! No one's asking you to apologise though. What is being asked is that white people just show a bit more of understanding that not everyone has the same privilege afforded to them simply because they are not white.

That's what needs deconstructing in society to really make a start on racism. We live in a world that's predominantly favourable to white people. Again, you probably don't notice it because it doesn't affect you.

My Husband thought that makes being paid more than females doing the exact same job was a myth until I explained that I was working as a Secretary (before moving to childcare) alongside a male secretary. We had the same job, same hours, same responsibilities and I had two years more experience yet his salary was £3,500 more than mine.

Unless it's a direct affect that people don't "get" it and become defensive.

This brings me back to Camp Bestival that claims to be for everyone. Yet it's full of white, mainly middle class, people who then make ridiculous comparisons to camping at the festival being akin to being homeless and the organisers claiming they are not racist because they have one black person there.

The problem is racism is that ingrained into the core of people that it's normal and accepting to have society the way it is. But it's not ok. Sainsbury's currently have two black woman in their adverts and white people are loving it because it thinks it's inclusive. If they were that inclusive, then a black woman or two should be the normal, not the exception.

Reactions: 19

motherofdonkeys

VIP Member
This is the kind of thing I really dislike on the gram, The Fashion Lift has just posted from The Hoxton Hotel that she, and no doubt other insta fashion/mums, are attending an event with Matalan to celebrate their charity colab with Alder Hey. Why waste money that could otherwise go to the hospital, on taking a load of instatwats away for the night to be spolit rotten with freebies? How does that work?

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 19

Exhaustednurse

VIP Member
It’s almost amusing if it wasn’t such a risk to the wellbeing of vulnerable followers.

She has a very expensive renovation going on, using high end products and decoration

They have several holidays / trips abroad

She has a second office space away from their home that I believe they bought

They regularly eat out or have takeaways.

She does not live frugally. frugal living is having to feed a family on a small amount, when your home is falling apart and you can’t afford repairs. Living frugally is explaining to the kids that there is no holiday (again) for them and you are buying your clothes from the charity shop or totally reliant on hand me downs.

It’s certainly not ‘investing’ in art, using farrow and ball paint or getting a bespoke curtain runner.

What a joke

Reactions: 18

Highlandcow

VIP Member
Sorry, this is slightly thread derailing but the statement you just made is massively offensive ! I’d hate to see your massive generalisation statement on the other classes of people.

Oh the person who is desperate to be in the middle class white privileged category is offended.....for someone like me looking in to this insta mummy bubble these women are in it stinks of one size fits all there is no diversity, we come on here to trash these accounts we are sick of them!

Try getting angry and offended by things that actually matter these middle class instamums don't need you sticking up for them.

• Heart
  • Haha

Zodastream

I gave money to the Nursemum via a story Rosie Ramsey posted. I didn’t even get a thanks. Then she buggered off to Dubai.
Yes so did i, she did thank everyone constantly and the funds remain exactly as they were, you are not going to get a personal thank you from a go fund me as there are thousands and she has a disabled little boy to look after, and how she got to dubai doesn't really matter really she didnt use the funds raised for jaxon and even if she did so what i think that she and the little lad deserve it she doesn't know how long she has with him!

Exhaustednurse

VIP Member
Same old. Wealthy white middle class instamums on holiday in posh resort. Probably wearing maxi dress at night.

Oh and chuck in a few ‘body positive’ bikini bollocks, maybe a dose of anxiety riddled scared of flying.

We know the score by now 😉

• Haha

Exhaustednurse

VIP Member
I got fed up of Erica’s angst and her ‘why am I here , do I serve a purpose anymore’ bollocks. Once her ego had been thoroughly massaged all was well again in Erica’s gifted world.
I find this laughable. ‘What am I trying to say?’ ‘Who am I on these squares?’ ‘I want to start a conversation...’ wailed Erica.

Babe - you flog plastic cactus and some other shit with Pom poms on via QVC. Don’t stress it 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 17

skronkywildcat

VIP Member
Fuck's sake, a load of them are going on the climate strike. So hypocritical - if your job is making people buy pointless shit that ends up in landfill (and accumulating more shit than you need, taking loads of flights and being 'lent' brand new cars) then YOU ARE THE FUCKING PROBLEM.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 16