Influencers being shady with their AD

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This one is getting awful fond of putting “ad” in place of and 😔

I’m surprised she doesn’t have a thread actually, loves nothing more than eye bleeping herself fixing her hair on stories 😞
She wants reporting to the ASA. It should go at the top of the post "so readers can decide whether or not they want to engage with the content".

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Suzi Grant @alternativeageing

She has included YouTube's banner declaring Paid Promotion but the 'blog' is an entire 12 minute ad for £900k retirement flats in Clapham, London.

Before I clicked to watch I believed she was giving an update on her personal circumstances so pressed play, only then did the banner appear on screen. It is for that reason the ASA requires that the word AD is included in the TITLE , so viewers know before choosing to engage that it's advertising.

Very sneaky as the vlogger registers the viewer count.
20220323_062255.jpg

20220323_063728.jpg

• Angry
Reactions: 2
Jo Good back again. Shilling for Lilisilk who will give an aff link to anyone, she must be getting desperate.
YouTube vlog title does not indicate that it's an AD. Nor has she placed the YouTube banner indicating Contains Paid Promotion.

20220403_112053.jpg

• Angry
  • Sick
Has anyone heard back from the ASA recently? I reported a few by Alexandra Stedman who is the WORST for not declaring ads (she’s getting better tbf - but only cos she knows she’s being reported cos of tattle) and I’ve not heard anything back. I’ve only ever reported FOD before and he did get a warning off them eventually.

Reactions: 1
Has anyone heard back from the ASA recently? I reported a few by Alexandra Stedman who is the WORST for not declaring ads (she’s getting better tbf - but only cos she knows she’s being reported cos of tattle) and I’ve not heard anything back. I’ve only ever reported FOD before and he did get a warning off them eventually.
I heard back recently from reporting someone. Took around a month for them to reply and for one issue around a misleading ad, all they are doing is making a note of it or something. But I was told they weren’t taking forward a complaint I had over where #Ad is placed in an Instagram post. Random Segway, Basically the rule is that you should know it is an ad before you click “see more”. ASA can do something where it’s an ad but where it’s a gift/ should be tagged #gifted it’s something for the CMA which by the sounds of it make Instagram handle that despite there being no way of reporting it- so because my complaint was about a gift for that they did nothing. I also see a big difference between how they handle a repeat offender vs a newer one- with someone who I don’t think has been reported much as they’ve only just started increasing the ads, I got a reply within a week or so. But for Vicky Pattison, I’ve made numerous complaints and she’s always complaining about the ASA but they barely reply and if they do it takes a month and they don’t seem to do anything.
I think they’re struggling to keep up with the volume of complaints and keeping track of their own guidance/ where complaints need to go. It’s frustrating because it gets to the point where content has done the damage they’re supposed to protect against.

• Heart
I heard back recently from reporting someone. Took around a month for them to reply and for one issue around a misleading ad, all they are doing is making a note of it or something. But I was told they weren’t taking forward a complaint I had over where #Ad is placed in an Instagram post. Random Segway, Basically the rule is that you should know it is an ad before you click “see more”. ASA can do something where it’s an ad but where it’s a gift/ should be tagged #gifted it’s something for the CMA which by the sounds of it make Instagram handle that despite there being no way of reporting it- so because my complaint was about a gift for that they did nothing. I also see a big difference between how they handle a repeat offender vs a newer one- with someone who I don’t think has been reported much as they’ve only just started increasing the ads, I got a reply within a week or so. But for Vicky Pattison, I’ve made numerous complaints and she’s always complaining about the ASA but they barely reply and if they do it takes a month and they don’t seem to do anything.
I think they’re struggling to keep up with the volume of complaints and keeping track of their own guidance/ where complaints need to go. It’s frustrating because it gets to the point where content has done the damage they’re supposed to protect against.
Thank you for this and agree completely. You’d hope that in the future platforms would be held as responsible for it so Insta etc would need to have a report function, but realistically it wouldn’t get to that unless they saw SUCH a decline in active users that they needed it as a means of luring us back.

Sadly I think the most effective approach is to contact the brands themselves saying you’ve informed the ASA that one of their content creators isn’t acting within regulation. But even then… a lot of the brands still heavily gifting are just cheap and nasty, and some of the worst offenders are trash for other reasons, so how effective that can really be who knows 🤷🏻‍♀️

Over on another thread, because we kept reporting repeated non-disclosure of ads, the ASA did notify one of the Tattlers that they’d put the Instagrammer on their watch list, and they were being given a formal warning. Having said that, I don’t know what else the ASA would do, or next steps, if you like. I think they seem pretty toothless. So a lot of these people continue to get away with it.

Does anyone know know what actually happens to repeat offenders!?

i have reported so many smaller influencers and i always get a reply saying they have spoken to influencer etc.. which i know is true because then pics/vids would then be edited.

however if nothing gets done about it they wont bother… they don’t care about warnings do they?

there needs to be some kind of fine etc.

If people didnt do their job properly at work there would be consequences, not just warning after warning

Reactions: 5
This hooker/sugar baby/whatever never disclose ads, ever! And the ASA does nothing. :mad:

Last edited:
More non-compliant sneaky advertising by Jo Good @middleagedminx on her You Tube vlog today

As usual she has not put #AD in the vlog title, nor is the banner that declares the video "Includes Paid Promotion" there as required for full transparency.

Her entire YT vlog this week comprises a promo for a fashion brand who hosted her at an influencers' dinner in Shoreditch where she wore their garments, plus a GRWM where she attempted playing it down as an ad by saying she'll put links in "if I remember". Of course she remembers, all the usual brands' aff links are there.

So the whole vlog was one big AD.

20220410_130330.jpg

20220410_132310.jpg

20220410_144402.jpg

Jo Good never lets us down, every week promoting something but pretending it's not an AD because she knows someone behind it ("just a friend") and faking that she doesn't even know how you can find out about it....
20220417_133037.jpg

until she forgets her act and tells us there's a link below.
20220417_133122.jpg

So, let's ask again: Hey Jo, you always say how honest and transparent you are so why does this vlog not have the banner required by YouTube, they ask when you upload if each video IINCLUDES PAID PROMOTION. So Jo, do you tick the box saying "no" ?

Any why does the title of the vliog not contain the word AD? This is required for ASA compliance, so viewers can decide to engage with advertising or not.

Reactions: 4
Jo Good never lets us down, every week promoting something but pretending it's not an AD because she knows someone behind it ("just a friend") and faking that she doesn't even know how you can find out about it....
View attachment 1200629
until she forgets her act and tells us there's a link below.
View attachment 1200631

So, let's ask again: Hey Jo, you always say how honest and transparent you are so why does this vlog not have the banner required by YouTube, they ask when you upload if each video IINCLUDES PAID PROMOTION. So Jo, do you tick the box saying "no" ?

Any why does the title of the vliog not contain the word AD? This is required for ASA compliance, so viewers can decide to engage with advertising or not.
Yes, she couldn’t keep the pretence up for long.

I follow a micro influencer with about 25k followers on insta. She never posts anything as ad or gifted to the point I actually thought she didn’t make any money from insta and was just very into fashion etc she’s very honest on q&a’s and did a YouTube on all things about influencing so it’s clear it’s her job and she’s confirmed she gets an income from it! She mentioned in the video that she doesn’t actually need to disclose ads or press trips - has there been a change? I’ve been wondering for ages why she wouldn’t need to mark stuff as ads. I think she’s also a model so would it just be classed as work as their actually getting paid to do a job rather than advertising? But then she def makes money through posting the ads! Very confusing

• Wow
I follow a micro influencer with about 25k followers on insta. She never posts anything as ad or gifted to the point I actually thought she didn’t make any money from insta and was just very into fashion etc she’s very honest on q&a’s and did a YouTube on all things about influencing so it’s clear it’s her job and she’s confirmed she gets an income from it! She mentioned in the video that she doesn’t actually need to disclose ads or press trips - has there been a change? I’ve been wondering for ages why she wouldn’t need to mark stuff as ads. I think she’s also a model so would it just be classed as work as their actually getting paid to do a job rather than advertising? But then she def makes money through posting the ads! Very confusing
She’s lying. I don’t know who you’re talking about, but there are no exemptions from the law. Everyone needs to declare adverts and paid promotions, regardless of who they are. Report her.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
She’s lying. I don’t know who you’re talking about, but there are no exemptions from the law. Everyone needs to declare adverts and paid promotions, regardless of who they are. Report her.
These arrogant influencers rely upon the ignorance and confusion of their subs, don't fall for it. Many hope their followers think they are simply enthusiastic amateurs.

Some try to justify their non-compliance as advertisers by saying they don't make much money compared to the big players (eg poor little me Jo Good who has long claimed she makes enough only to pay her video editor :rolleyes: ).

This shouldn't be accepted as an excuse, as an example, if one earns only a *little bit* of money in addition to their wage they are still required to declare it to HMRC, they want to know whether it's £500 per annum or £500,000.

The ASA has produced a clear guide about influencers' compliance but most chose to ignore it. As the ASA is under-resourced I believe they rely on public reporting

Another week another instance to record of Jo Good not transparently labelling the title of her latest flog. This week: A purple shampoo and conditioner treatment at a posh department store.She took Nadine Baggott along to get a freebie too.

Does the vlog show the You Tube banner declaring 'Contains Paid Promotion'? No.

Does the video title include the word #Ad, as the ASA requires? No.

She mentioned (in the hidden description box) that the hair treatment was a gift but claimed - disingenously - the vlog was not sponsored. However the ASA would not see it this way, they do not differentiate between an influencer being paid a sponsor fee, a commission, or receiving goods or services in return for promoting something.
20220424_150931.jpg

20220424_150955.jpg

20220424_151031.jpg

Sisters and Sons
Life of Leigh
Mrs Hinch
Stacey Solomon
All that’s Pretty
Melissa Riddell

just some repeat offenders from the past week

BBC London TV evening news yesterday did a story about the effect of influencers on children. I was only half listening but they gave a statistic from the ASA, something about only 35% of social media posts that contained advertising were correctly labelled as such. (I would think it is a lot fewer who correctly declare). It was essentially about the insidiounousness and lack of transparency of the influencer/Ad thing.

The BBC wouldn't need to look far to see a culprit in their midst - admittedly targetting a different end of the age demographic - their own Jo Good who advertises constantly on socials without ASA-compliant declaration of the ads. And even worse she uses her BBC Radio London show to "urge" listeners to visit her social platforms, the more eyes, the more clicks, the more ad revenue and commissions from affiliate link click-throughs.

Jo Good again without AD in the title of her vlog. She has hidden it in the dropdown of the You Tube description box, the ASA says it should be visible to all viewers before they chose to open and watch the video. She is however following the rules of the advertiser who is paying her, they require at least 10minutes promo and she manages to follow that rule.
She also does not display the banner Includes Paid Promotion.
20220516_070420.jpg

I wonder if she'll be on her BBC radio show again telling her listeners they must go to her socials to see her cute pup, but not letting them know they will be exposed to her ads. Sleazy.