Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Yel

Chatty Member
Probably should have set this up years ago, but a thread to name and shame people that are being deceptive with their AD

Let's start with this from Callie Thorpe

FB3C893D-7864-47EC-B69E-775753105876.jpeg

They think they're oh so clever putting AD in a hidden way but clearly it's a breach of the rules.

Then again so many don't even bother to say AD as they know there's next to no regulation.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 39

Mustard

VIP Member
I’m sick of the Affiliate Link Swipe Up shite which doesn’t explain that they get a commission and also doesn’t explain that if you swipe up for something from, for example, Amazon, it leaves cookies on your account and that ‘influencer’ will then get a commission on anything you buy from Amazon for the next 30 days or so.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 37

Poptart

VIP Member
I really hope this pandemic, and alot of us having to tighten our belts, makes people wake up to these shady people. They aren't you're friends or trying to help they want your money.

• Heart
Reactions: 23

Yel

Chatty Member
Reposting this from another thread, can you see it?

Screenshot_20201202-164112_Instagram.jpg

In the same pink and just to the top right of the white box

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 20

svdwoodsen

VIP Member
PSA for all the ladies here (this applies more so to youtubers) but when an influencer puts up a magic link ("bit.ly/link.co" kind of stuff) in their video descriptions for clothing, make up, or even home decor (basically anything with that sort of link), if you click on it, even if you don't buy it right away, that cookie stays on your computer for at least a month and if you ever do make a purchase, the youtuber will get a large commission. It is as large as quarter of what you paid for the item sometimes, so don't be duped if it's a youtuber you don't want to support! Also a lot of influencers are given gift cards aka free shopping to push a lot of these "big sales" (Nordstrom Anniversary sale is huge where I am) and some brands will also gift them specific items for free, which is why you see the same items being pushed by dozens of influencers. Often, it has nothing to do with people actually liking the item.

And they often don't mark these free items as ads/pr.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 18

Gembo

VIP Member
I’m sick of the Affiliate Link Swipe Up shite which doesn’t explain that they get a commission and also doesn’t explain that if you swipe up for something from, for example, Amazon, it leaves cookies on your account and that ‘influencer’ will then get a commission on anything you buy from Amazon for the next 30 days or so.
I never ever swipe up anything anymore but it wasn’t all that long ago that I learnt about this, people need to be made more aware

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Another influencer crowd funding for financial help, this time a £30k tax bill ->

Not directly shady with their ads, but just shady with the entire fucking lifestyle? Not only how dare these people who don’t/couldn’t buy the items they flog to us continue flogging them via parasocial relationships, but also how dare they showcase insane levels of consumption that leave them in these scenarios? Then try and come back to the very ppl they’ve taken for dickheads to bail them out?

The only upside to the financial disaster 2024 will be is the ending of this influencer shite!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 16

Yel

Chatty Member
Bumping with a bog standard Mrs Hinch with tiny white AD
Screenshot_2020-09-22-08-29-15-152_com.instagram.android.jpg

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 15

hrh89

VIP Member
Anyone doing this immediately gets an unfollow. Their audience don’t seem to care though? I hate it I think it’s deceptive. They all claim they won’t advertise stuff they don’t like or don’t use but go full length to hide the fact they’re advertising something. Why do they have such an issue with transparency? We all know their jobs are built around ads and brand collabs so who do they think they’re kidding? It’s so shady and smug.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

or JusRollWithIt

VIP Member
Recent ones from Mrs Hinch threads. The one in the glare of the light is particularly sneaky. Reported to ASA multiple times.

00A10F95-6A24-4F18-9D5D-3D2861AF9CDE.png
DE4F12A6-36B6-49E2-B30B-DB95B88F7B72.jpeg

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 13

Loulou_23

VIP Member
They all say - I had so many DMs asking me about this blah blah. It’s so negligent to not put that you earn a commission etc.

This is one of my biggest peeves, I bet half the time no one has DM’d them either!

It annoys me when someone asks where something is from in the comments but they don’t answer and say to swipe up in their stories! 😡😡😡😡

Reactions: 12

Shineyshine

VIP Member
@VeeJayBee just told me about this thread, I hadn’t realised it existed. I’m getting fed up with these scammers not doing the right thing by their followers and viewers.

Just reported Nadine Baggott this morning for an IGTV she made ‘shop with me’ in Superdrug. She waltzes round pointing out all her favourite brands and products, all of which she works with and is paid to promote - she brought out a beauty box with Superdrug not too long ago. But, nothing to mention it’s an advert, or anything about her relationship with Superdrug or any of the other brands. I don’t even know if this actually breaches the ASA rules, but it feels really wrong and disingenuous - any new viewers, or anyone unsuspecting who watches it wouldn’t have a clue that she’s got a vested interest in promoting those products and brands. So sly and shady.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I just stumbled across this thread looking for another one so apologies if this is covered already but why do influencers not want to show the #AD etc? I don’t get it if their job is to influence people, wouldn’t they want people to know it an AD?
They didn’t used to have to declare them so a lot of them have built the impression that they’re a lot better off than they were by showing a constant stream of new purchases, so now don’t want to admit that it’s entirely subsidised by brands.

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Pinkii

VIP Member
I’ve given up reporting. ASA never does anything! All i get is ‘they have spoken to influencer about the rules and regulations’ and yet nothing ever changes

• Angry
Reactions: 8

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
Jo Good's Middle Aged Minx You Tube vlog of 1st August 2021 contains advertising for Chantecaille, Gatineau and Current Body.

The video title should contain AD, as per ASA regulations.

If she wasn't advertising them why would she mention the brands and discount code? It matters not one bit that she claims it is not an ad.

Nor does it matter if she did or didn't get a fee (more fool her and her idiot agent) It is still an AD.

She says "Current Body is a gift no obligation to film" but she DID film therefore it is an AD.

It is clear cut case for the ASA. Advertising 3 different brands in one video???

She really thinks people are idiots.

A commenter on her You Tube pointed this out but Jo Good (or a channel admin) deleted it. The comment was screenshot for posterity before deletion.
20210801_140429.jpg

• Heart
More Jo Good. She is sent a package for her and her dog. If it was simply a birthday gift she'd show it without name checking the company and might say something to acknowledge it eg "Look at the present I was sent for me and Matilda" .

But instead Jo says she wants to "promote" the company, which she names several times, as they have been so "generous". We all know these are slimy influencer words to avoid admitting that the vlog contains advertising in return for a freebie.

View attachment 803348View attachment 803345
This thread makes me hate this woman lmao I’ve never even heard of her

• Haha

Very traditional

VIP Member
They didn’t used to have to declare them so a lot of them have built the impression that they’re a lot better off than they were by showing a constant stream of new purchases, so now don’t want to admit that it’s entirely subsidised by brands.
I think as well it's credibility - would people be as inclined to buy the product if they know the influencer is being paid to promote it rather than it being a genuine recommendation?