Huw Edwards #14

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Starting? I’ve already got badges and I’ve been outside the BBC for months now with a “Bring Huw Back” sign!

For avoidance of all doubt, I’m joking and am not overly invested in Huw’s career. Although I do hope he’s okay, because I find the radio silence quite ominous to be honest.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
The original story was essentially bollocks. It shouldn't have taken them 7 weeks to do anything about it though.

Reactions: 5
FTR The family have totally lost contact with the lad now!
Well I for one am shocked that selling a story on your child to the Sun, the Sun then manipulating it to call someone a weirdo, and then the parents not backing down or stopping it when they could would have done has made the Son not want to speak to them. This is a totally unexpected outcome… /S

This was the bit of the story I never understood. They said they were doing it for him, yet this was obviously going to majorly back fire.

Reactions: 8
I wonder how the lad is doing now.
HE is too poorly to discuss his future with the BCC allegedly.
I feel for the parents. The BBC apology is way too late, arseholes.

Think he would need a stint in Celebrity Big Brother like Barrymore had to try and change public opinion.

Think he would need a stint in Celebrity Big Brother like Barrymore had to try and change public opinion.
Why is she still going to the Sun…? Why hasn’t she learnt? Her son doesn’t trust her, going back to the Sun and talking to them isn’t going to help.

The second one is an attempt for the Sun to claim they were morally right to do what they did. I’d be interested in if Huw sues them and what the outcome would be…

Reactions: 6
The Sun seems to equate and spin this apology from the BBC over their handling of the complaint as proof that whatever the family claimed actually occurred (and that it was the crime of the century). Not the same thing obviously but sure, take the moral high ground, The Sun. 😒

Why is she still going to the Sun…? Why hasn’t she learnt? Her son doesn’t trust her, going back to the Sun and talking to them isn’t going to help.
This is exactly why I don’t have much sympathy for the parents.

Saw this on twitter. Tim Davie was questioned again in some committee and the Huw situation was brought up. Fast forward to 00:32

Q: "On the issue of being kind, are you going to bring Huw Edwards back?"
A: "Definitely n... uhm, I'm not gonna comment on an individual case, you know that".

It sounded like he was going to say "definitely not" but he just about saved his butt. His explanation that they just 'had to get through the process fairly with uhm, you know, the right values and ...' also sounded like he was thoroughly sick of the whole thing 😵

Reactions: 6
Even though the BBC’s highest earners list is still months away (July), The Times is stirring the pot. Also, weird timing to post this on April 1st 🤨

Anyway, the second paragraph here is interesting:

One option available to the BBC is to dismiss Edwards but he is expected to reject the suggestion that he has brought the broadcaster into disrepute.

Social media messages sent by Edwards to junior members of staff, revealed by a Newsnight investigation, are also believed to fall far short of harassment.”

If those messages won’t get him fired, I guess the Beeb will have to make a case for 1) bringing the company into disrepute or something or 2) get a doctor to somehow decide he’s unfit to work forever. Tricky!!

Reactions: 1
They probably could get away with sacking him for bringing them into disrepute. But they may well not want the cost, the hassle or the risk of (even more) adverse publicity if they don't win for whatever reason.

Reactions: 4
They probably could get away with sacking him for bringing them into disrepute. But they may well not want the cost, the hassle or the risk of (even more) adverse publicity if they don't win for whatever reason.
Oof, that would such an interesting trial. How is the BBC going to argue that they themselves weren’t party to the disrepute (ie The Sun story) by not escalating the complaints in a timely manner? Hmmm.

Oof, that would such an interesting trial. How is the BBC going to argue that they themselves weren’t party to the disrepute (ie The Sun story) by not escalating the complaints in a timely manner? Hmmm.
That's one reason why they won't do it, because it would lead to questions about things like that. They know they handled the original complaint badly.

Reactions: 2
Doesn’t it occur to him he will never have the standing to front bbc news ever again. He would be crucified on social media every time he appeared.