Huw Edwards #14

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My boss just told me he had resigned - we both think something is about to come out! I mean, medical advice - don't believe a word of it!

• Wow
Reactions: 11
Oh I’ve worked with plenty of people who have “resigned” but have done so because the only alternative was to be sacked. Or they came to some sort of settlement agreement. We may never know the truth here but Huw resigning “for medical reasons” was definitely the easiest way out of this mess on both sides. I would lean towards a settlement agreement here where bbc allowed him to say he resigned. I doubt he would wait this long to just walk away from them with nothing.

Reactions: 14
That's the quickest and easiest way out. Depending on his contract he might get a payout, but he might not as well.
I hope he isn’t being paid out in the circumstances, but suspect he is getting something at least.

I don’t think he is the devil incarnate, I just don’t feel particularly sorry for him with everything considered or think he should receive any more public money.
---

He hasn't received a payout.
Do you have a source for this? The announcement he is quitting on medical advice doesn’t put it beyond doubt, these things are often negotiated.

Reactions: 7
"The BBC has accepted his resignation which it believes will allow all parties to move forward. We don't believe it appropriate to comment further."

Ball's in Huw's court.

And The Sun of course who will feast on this for weeks.

Reactions: 3
Oh I’ve worked with plenty of people who have “resigned” but have done so because the only alternative was to be sacked. Or they came to some sort of settlement agreement. We may never know the truth here but Huw resigning “for medical reasons” was definitely the easiest way out of this mess on both sides. I would lean towards a settlement agreement here where bbc allowed him to say he resigned. I doubt he would wait this long to just walk away from them with nothing.
Maybe he just waited long enough until he stopped getting sick pay and then resigned.

Reactions: 10
"The BBC has confirmed that Edwards has not been paid off as part of his departure. "
Huw Edwards leaves BBC on medical advice - BBC News
Thank you, I’m glad to see this because I think he’s been paid enough (again, I don’t think he’s evil but he caused his own issues, it came back on him, and that’s that). I wonder if he got his notice period paid at least or if that’s it now. Good that it seems he got no more than that, the public should not be paying for it.

Reactions: 4
Wonder if he’s finished or if he intends to go elsewhere. Sky News maybe?

Reactions: 2
Wonder if he’s finished or if he intends to go elsewhere. Sky News maybe?
I feel like he'd need to do a Piers Morgan (i.e. move abroad) if he wants to still do serious journalism. He won't get a job in the UK doing that imho. Plus, he's literally now said that he can't work on medical advice so how can he work in a similar job for another network here?

Reactions: 8
I feel like he'd need to do a Piers Morgan (i.e. move abroad) if he wants to still do serious journalism. He won't get a job in the UK doing that imho. Plus, he's literally now said that he can't work on medical advice so how can he work in a similar job for another network here?
If you give it another six months or so and get a lower profile (so lower stress) job then I don't think anyone would say anything.

Reactions: 1
Looking at the mocked up messages again it really was nothing if this is everything they said to one another. A handful of polite messages over a two year period. Ok so we don’t know how it escalated from 2020 but by then the 17 year old was an adult and it’s not like there was as extensive communication between them or Huw initiated it again after two years with no contact.
I feel sorry for everyone involved that it got so blown up
IMG_8433.jpeg

Reactions: 5
To be fair, those messages were to another young person, not the person whose parents complained to the BBC. The Sun (or whichever other newspaper had this scoop) made a point of showing that Huw had been in contact with several young men and this was just one of those young'uns.

Any chance the BBC could pay his autocue-reading replacement a far more sensible salary than almost £1/2m? I'll do it for a hell of lot less if they like?

Reactions: 6
I honestly don’t think we will see much of Huw on our screens ever again.

Reactions: 7
Looking at the mocked up messages again it really was nothing if this is everything they said to one another. A handful of polite messages over a two year period. Ok so we don’t know how it escalated from 2020 but by then the 17 year old was an adult and it’s not like there was as extensive communication between them or Huw initiated it again after two years with no contact.
I feel sorry for everyone involved that it got so blown up
View attachment 2891074
These are not the messages Huw got in trouble for but common sense would suggest an adult shouldn’t talk to anyone (except a family member it’s normal to communicate with) online in private messages they know or suspect to be under 18, about anything.

If that wasn’t a condition of a BBC employment contract, especially with an account identifiable as being of a BBC employee, before now, I expect it’s in there now.