How Much Do You Earn? #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

But yeah, 6.5 years ago I was on 26k and coming to the end of a 6 month contract. 7 years ago, not working and paying for a Masters that I didn’t know if it would get me to where I wanted. A lot of luck, bit of risk taking, openness to relocate and enough confidence/bullshit to make the other side blink first!!
read this as ‘paying for malteasers’. Im such a fat cow hahaha

It’s interesting to hear everyone else’s earnings. I would miss the school holidays if I changed industry

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I'm a television journalist with fifteen years experience. I work fifty hours a week and get paid 32k. Oh. How I wish I'd have gone into HR!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
I’m in a senior HR role and with latest payrise just hit £90k - I’m term time only but full time (plus evenings/weekends) for the 39 week I’m contracted.

TBH I’d rather work anywhere but HR. It’s soul destroying but I’m the family breadwinner and my husband loves his company so won’t find another job despite being massively underpaid.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
I’m in a senior HR role and with latest payrise just hit £90k - I’m term time only but full time (plus evenings/weekends) for the 39 week I’m contracted.

TBH I’d rather work anywhere but HR. It’s soul destroying but I’m the family breadwinner and my husband loves his company so won’t find another job despite being massively underpaid.
Why are men like this 😂 my partner is in a similar situation - he is a construction manager, but they get him to do everything on his site and it's ridiculous that he doesn't get the pay rise to go with it. but he feels bad and feels like he owes the company loyalty so he stays, despite being about 10k unpaid :/

Jesus christ what industries / roles are you guys doing?!
I'm 25 and working in engineering, currently on 38k but I desperately want to change industries but cannot afford to take the pay cut and go into marketing / graphic design even though I have about 5 years experience in this too :/
Don’t know if this helps but I work at an engineering & environmental consultancy (I’m a geographer rather than an engineer), I’m 37 and earn 68k. I know pay isn’t as good as some other sectors but I’m pretty happy on that and I know it will increase in future.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Don’t know if this helps but I work at an engineering & environmental consultancy (I’m a geographer rather than an engineer), I’m 37 and earn 68k. I know pay isn’t as good as some other sectors but I’m pretty happy on that and I know it will increase in future.
Engineering + graphics, game design is a v profitable sector, could be worth a look?

• Heart
£79.5k plus around a £9k bonus. Fintech marketing. Will definitely stay in finance now because although the work’s dry the pay is good!

Reactions: 7
I’m in investment comms, working for a big asset management company in the city. My base is 79k, and last year my bonus was just under 30%.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Christ, looking at this thread you'd think the UK average salary was 60k. Seems like there's a disproportionate amount of high earners here. Not that I'm insanely jealous or anything 🤔🙄

Reactions: 12
Christ, looking at this thread you'd think the UK average salary was 60k. Seems like there's a disproportionate amount of high earners here. Not that I'm insanely jealous or anything 🤔🙄
I was thinking that these wages obviously push up the median massively. I work in a medium sized office and the majority of people will be earning under 28k per year.

However I do think good for anyone earning what theyre worth and going out there to get it.

Reactions: 1
I was thinking that these wages obviously push up the median massively. I work in a medium sized office and the majority of people will be earning under 28k per year.

However I do think good for anyone earning what theyre worth and going out there to get it.
A close friend of my recently went on maternity leave, and I went over to meet the baby and we got chatting about her pay and maternity allowance, and I was fully shocked to find out she has 5 years more experience than me in the industry, yet she is earning over 10k LESS than me, and is not getting maternity pay either !!!

I was honestly so shocked, she has been so loyal to the company, worked her way from an apprenticeship and through university to get her degree & masters, and she's still only on something like £25k ... thats also within the construction industry!

• Wow
  • Angry
Currently on 48k as an actuarial consultant with 2 years experience (kind of, I'm concerned with taking processes and improving them, rather than developing them), though that's without my yearly bonus and other bits.

Find it mostly boring, want to do something else. I've realised money isn't so much of interest to me, just need enough to exist on, and 48k is far more than I need rn.

£73000 - work in Procurement. I love it as the work is varied and in ‘normal’ times there was a lot of face to face interaction with suppliers/contractors.
How do you get into procurement/supply chains? It's something I'm vaguely interested in (I like logistics of most kinds) but I have no idea how you would go about getting into it.
---
I’ve just finished uni & my first “proper” job is 27k a year. My job is site management
What do site managers do on the day to day? Is it interesting?
---
I recommend train signalling to anyone looking for a new career- no qualifications needed just transferable non-technical skills! The training is tough and the job itself can be too but it’s rewarding work and you can make a really good salary (I earn 2.5x my basic wage once Sundays, night payment, flexi payment etc is added on).
Ooh will have to look into this, sounds like useful work. I like doing useful work.

Last edited:
In general there are a lot of high earners in the UK, but not all see themselves that way. A lot of people live beyond their means or up to the wire.

Reactions: 3
In general there are a lot of high earners in the UK, but not all see themselves that way. A lot of people live beyond their means or up to the wire.
My partner is on about 60-65k and I will admit it is a good wage however after tax, NI, high pension conts (10%+) and student loan repayments its not what you think a salary of 60k will bring you.

We also pay back more than half of our child benefit.

The only positive is the student loan is almost paid off.

Our gross salaries were alot less 8 years ago and due to the cost of living increasing massively I dont feel much better off to be honest and I dont think that our lifestyle has increased either.

Reactions: 7
My partner is on about 60-65k and I will admit it is a good wage however after tax, NI, high pension conts (10%+) and student loan repayments its not what you think a salary of 60k will bring you.

We also pay back more than half of our child benefit.

The only positive is the student loan is almost paid off.

Our gross salaries were alot less 8 years ago and due to the cost of living increasing massively I dont feel much better off to be honest and I dont think that our lifestyle has increased either.
I’m aware that it’s gross and less after deductions, but from my position people earning that kind of money can downsize their car for example, but some see a brand new car as an essential. People have also taken on large mortgages which were affordable a few years ago, but now are leaving them squeezed because their payments have increased.

Where you live in the UK has a massive impact on how financially comfortable you feel.
Mortgage payments on a family home in the SE are brutal.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
My husband works in a central government building. He runs a maintenance team. Just had a payrise and he's on 66k. No student loan and his pension payment is the same as mine, I'm earn 28k. He's working for a private company contracted to Westminster. He loves his job.

Reactions: 1
I earn £53k as a civil servant, I know everyone thinks civil servants gave the life of Riley but my job is pressured and stressful, but I agree not all do

I earn £53k as a civil servant, I know everyone thinks civil servants gave the life of Riley but my job is pressured and stressful, but I agree not all do
Also a civil servant with a terrible salary and its a really high pressure environment. Im in ops and I keep hearing policy is where its not as stressful.

I dont mind my job but its extremely busy all of the time. Very target driven despite the fact its 'not supposed to be'