How Much Do You Earn? #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not in Ireland theres big demand for newly qualified due to a shortage. A newly qualified would easily get €60-65k 5 years experience is around 80 to 100k

wow i need to move to ireland! i am acca qualified on 40k six years experience - i could get more in industry i imagine

Reactions: 1
wow i need to move to ireland! i am acca qualified on 40k six years experience - i could get more in industry i imagine
Practice accountants would get less but the salaries have come up as they now have to compete more with industry.

Practice accountants would get less but the salaries have come up as they now have to compete more with industry.
I work in industry at the minute and really enjoy it so plan to stay in industry! However I will be definitely following the money when qualified and experienced enough I won't lie, I won't necessarily be tied to the NW :)
---
How did you find acca?

I work in industry at the minute and really enjoy it so plan to stay in industry! However I will be definitely following the money when qualified and experienced enough I won't lie, I won't necessarily be tied to the NW :)
---

How did you find acca?
yeah this is standard in the UK my friend is acca and industry and she does earn more than me and tends to have better benefits - but i like my varied work which my friend says it can be a little samey in industry

yeah it was okay :) i just did an exam each 1/4

• Heart
Reactions: 2
My Husband is looking for a career change. We can't afford for him to go back to university or not have a full time job and he doesn't want to do a degree. He doesn't have a degree. His experience is mainly in customer service and property database management. What are some careers that might suit him where he doesn't need a degree and could potentially train in the job that has decent pay and career progression. He's currently on around average age.

He doesn't want to do sales. He's very quick minded and good at handling a lot of information at once and can flick between tasks easily.
I'm quite late to this thread.

Have a look at analyst as others have said or consulting. My husband works as a salesforce consultant, used to be an analyst. You can do 'trailheads' FOC to learn, could go into a junior consultant role and easily and quickly work his way up. My husband is also completely remote, which works well for us, some roles are hybrid depending on what practice you choose to work for.

---

How did you find acca?
I also did ACCA and I am in industry. I found it very flexible and also did an exam every quarter. Larger industry roles such as multinationals can be a bit samey but I have done well working for start ups (would avoid small family owned) you get alot more exposure and experience.

• Heart
So although I got a relatively poor pay rise of 4%, today I got told I got a bonus of 13%! So it's not all bad

• Heart
Reactions: 8
yeah this is standard in the UK my friend is acca and industry and she does earn more than me and tends to have better benefits - but i like my varied work which my friend says it can be a little samey in industry

I also did ACCA and I am in industry. I found it very flexible and also did an exam every quarter. Larger industry roles such as multinationals can be a bit samey but I have done well working for start ups (would avoid small family owned) you get alot more exposure and experience.
thank you both for sharing your experiences :) x

That's actually very good careers advice in general I think.

Reactions: 3
Hard agree. The CEO and the CFO of my organisation are brothers-in-law. All the real decisions get made outside of the board room and they are always a completely united front. It’s can be extremely frustrating and you are always on the outside.

Hello, apologies if this is the wrong place for it, but I’m curious.
I’m currently earning £25000 after 3 years after graduating uni (I feel I should be on more for all I do but my boss won’t budge).
I should be due a pay rise in September but I’m wondering, if they increased my wage to £27000, I’d have to start paying back my student loan (which obviously is kind of a good thing bc it means I’m earning more blah blah blah), but I don’t want to start paying it back on the threshold. If instead, I offered £26999, would that make a difference to my loan repayment or would I still have to pay it back given that the monthly wage after tax is the same amount as £27000?

hope im making sense haha

Haha, I was going to say this too.

Small family-owned or not-for-profits that have a founder who hasn't relinquished a single bit of control in 20 years.

Bitter, bitter experience lol.

Reactions: 3
Hello, apologies if this is the wrong place for it, but I’m curious.
I’m currently earning £25000 after 3 years after graduating uni (I feel I should be on more for all I do but my boss won’t budge).
I should be due a pay rise in September but I’m wondering, if they increased my wage to £27000, I’d have to start paying back my student loan (which obviously is kind of a good thing bc it means I’m earning more blah blah blah), but I don’t want to start paying it back on the threshold. If instead, I offered £26999, would that make a difference to my loan repayment or would I still have to pay it back given that the monthly wage after tax is the same amount as £27000?

hope im making sense haha
You’d pay back 9% of what’s over the threshold if it’s not a postgrad loan. The threshold for Plan 2 is £27,295 which is £2,274pm so you’d follow this example on the .gov website:
Example

You’re on Plan 1 and have an income of £33,000 a year, meaning you get paid £2,750 each month.

Calculation:

£2,750 – £2,082 (your income minus the Plan 1 threshold) = £668

9% of £668 = £60.12

The amount you’d repay each month would be £60.

For sure! I've already worked in a family run business and from the get go my face just did not fit because I didn't share a surname or I wasn't in a relationship with anyone related to the business. I lasted 3 months before coming to the company I'm in now and I love it!

Haha, I was going to say this too.

Small family-owned or not-for-profits that have a founder who hasn't relinquished a single bit of control in 20 years.

Bitter, bitter experience lol.
And there's always a son or daughter (normally son) who is utterly tit that will end up running the company into the ground.

I am ACCA. Was made redundant (perm was £ 84k) and contracting now. Last role was £400 a day for 8 months. Now have an interview for £500 a day through my limited company.

Hard agree. The CEO and the CFO of my organisation are brothers-in-law. All the real decisions get made outside of the board room and they are always a completely united front. It’s can be extremely frustrating and you are always on the outside.
Yes and it does the business no favours in terms of growth the CFOs role is to play the devils advocate to the CEO and challenge their decisions so you get an optimistic and pessimistic view on decisions which should in theory ensure decisions that are made are accounting for and mitigating the associated risks.