How Much Do You Earn? #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm on 38,500 as a Marketing Exec and I'm 32. Started on 23,000 3 years ago so chuffed with my pay rises!

Reactions: 2
Love your way of thinking! I’m not unhappy, just curious!
I don’t know of many pay rises that are in line with inflation sadly so any increase to me is better than none!

Reactions: 1
My company gave 3% this year for a payrise. Massively below inflation rates however im still grateful as I’ve worked for companies who never uplifted workers wages.

Also feeling very proud - when this thread originally started during one of the original lockdowns I was on 26K, I now earn 52k 🥳

With the same company, within the same team but I’ve developed through the ranks. Mostly dare I say it due to the positive effect covid had on our industry.
That’s fantastic!

You’ve inspired me to go back and look - when I first posted, I was on 62k (but 0.8 FTE so just shy of 50k). Now through negotiation and inflation increases, I’m on 79k (so 63k FTE).

At the start of lockdown in 2020, I was on 38k so I’m really proud of the moves I’ve made, negotiation I’ve done etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
We had to get the unions involved to sort our pay out. Our increments had been removed years ago so we were stuck on the same pay with zero progression. A threat to strike, which of you knew who I worked for would be a massive embarrassment. Last summer my employer and the unions finally settled after a vote and I've gone from 21k to 29k, four days extra annual leave and hybrid working. Morale is at an all time high and my manager has been fantastic.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
That’s fantastic!

You’ve inspired me to go back and look - when I first posted, I was on 62k (but 0.8 FTE so just shy of 50k). Now through negotiation and inflation increases, I’m on 79k (so 63k FTE).

At the start of lockdown in 2020, I was on 38k so I’m really proud of the moves I’ve made, negotiation I’ve done etc.
This is making me want to move out of education so badly. The top of the pay scale is short of £50k

That’s fantastic!

What do you do? That's a crazy increase in four years

I was on £84k in my last perm role...then on £100k for a 8 month contract pro rata. Then £75k for another contract which I hated!

Just turned down a perm job paying £52k... a 100 miles away..although hybrid....not sure I have made the right decision!

I am now on the dole...£90 a week!

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Jesus christ what industries / roles are you guys doing?!
I'm 25 and working in engineering, currently on 38k but I desperately want to change industries but cannot afford to take the pay cut and go into marketing / graphic design even though I have about 5 years experience in this too :/

What do you do? That's a crazy increase in four years
I work in a specific area of HR, mainly looking at different projects. I’m in engineering industry in a bit of a niche area plus heavily male-dominated so I knew that they wanted more women when I applied and used that as a lever for negotiating up.

I also didn’t give my old salary when asked and just kept asking what they were prepared to pay, and used that as a starting point.

Each year I’ve had a high rating in end of year so have used that to ask for more than just the standard increase.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Its reading threads like this that make me question my career choice of being a nurse in the NHS 😂
I'm top band 6 but in a very niche area, which geographically speaking is also limited (we are commissioned to deliver a specific service here which doesn't exist in the rest of the county.) The only option for me to go up to band 7 is to move into a completely different job, or management (but again in a different speciality 🙄.) I actually left a band 7 role for this job, as they mentioned in the interview that there is scope to progress. Unfortunately there is no longer the budget for that in the trust anymore 😞
Its frustrating that I have done a masters and I'm working in a role that I love and am skilled in, but financially tbh i'm trapped.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I work in a specific area of HR, mainly looking at different projects. I’m in engineering industry in a bit of a niche area plus heavily male-dominated so I knew that they wanted more women when I applied and used that as a lever for negotiating up.

I also didn’t give my old salary when asked and just kept asking what they were prepared to pay, and used that as a starting point.

Each year I’ve had a high rating in end of year so have used that to ask for more than just the standard increase.
Guess I'll look at getting into HR then 😂 Would love to know how you got into it/ what you do without giving too much info away?

I'm 25 and working in engineering, currently on 38k but I desperately want to change industries but cannot afford to take the pay cut and go into marketing / graphic design even though I have about 5 years experience in this too :/
Sometimes I read this thread with my jaw on the floor at what some people earn 🤣 I'm 33 and earn the same salary as you in comms and marketing within local government.

Reactions: 5
Maybe only people who feel like they're doing pretty well feel like posting. The heart of this thread is to try to aim to ensure women talk about salaries and money more openly so it's harder for companies to pay men more for the same jobs.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Sometimes I read this thread with my jaw on the floor at what some people earn 🤣 I'm 33 and earn the same salary as you in comms and marketing within local government.
I generally do think it's to do with the company and not peoples specific role / job, I was earning 34k at my last job and it was so much more intense than the role I do now, but I'm just not happy :(
---
Maybe only people who feel like they're doing pretty well feel like posting. The heart of this thread is to try to aim to ensure women talk about salaries and money more openly so it's harder for companies to pay men more for the same jobs.
This is such a good point!!

Reactions: 2
Guess I'll look at getting into HR then 😂 Would love to know how you got into it/ what you do without giving too much info away?
I’ve got an HR Masters and have done a couple of roles in big firms before this one in generalist roles. I started out on a 6 month FTC which got extended and used that to move into a really new area of HR. So that move took me from 26k to 30k.

Spent 3 years in the new area and got a promotion 18 months in which took me to 38k. Then went on mat leave and was approached by a company that vaguely knew me through contacts to set up what I’d done previously for them. Because it was new, they said they’d pay 60k and I negotiated to 62k.

That was 3 years ago and with inflation pay rises plus delivering on projects, now on 79k. Interestingly I’m training up a team to support because we can’t find many people with similar background in the market. So think it’s a case of right time and place for me.

Right now I’m looking at how we future proof skills and roles for 20-30 years time given that technology is changing how we work. Last year I worked on the gender pay gap for the company plus some people data dashboards and reporting. So really varied.

But yeah, 6.5 years ago I was on 26k and coming to the end of a 6 month contract. 7 years ago, not working and paying for a Masters that I didn’t know if it would get me to where I wanted. A lot of luck, bit of risk taking, openness to relocate and enough confidence/bullshit to make the other side blink first!!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I work in higher education and do data analysis and management information insights. I joined two years ago this summer on £38k and was recently promoted to a management role starting on £45k. There was a salary review taken in October last year and the payscales have been adjusted as a result so my salary will go up to £49k this month. I will then get my annual band uplift which will take me to £51k in August and there will be an inflationary uplift on top of that too but it's not been announced how much that will be yet. If I were to do the same job but in the private sector I'd be looking at around £65-70k. My job as it stands is easy. I have no management responsibilities, get to pick and choose how I run my projects and which ones I want to do. This is the most I've ever earned and the only role I have ever negotiated my starting salary. My background is not the typical route you would take for this role and my skillset is very niche so was able to leverage that to my advantage.

• Heart
Reactions: 3