How Much Do You Earn? #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m with you, similar background and top band 6 in NHS but it’s nothing for what I do and the responsibilities we have is it. I struggle with the politics of the job and it’s really getting to me but I also live in the lakes and feel trapped because nothing will pay what I’m on now and I can’t take a pay cut.
Honestly the amount of hours i do is absolutely ridiculous, and it works out im getting about £3 per hour when broken down! And i know its not about the "money" being a social worker, but for what we do, the hours we work, the responsibility we have, all the tit we have to put up; we should be on at least double!
Not gonna lie, when ive read some posts on here i did wonder where i went wrong in life. But im very grateful that im even earning, my other half earns quite well as an electrician, we have our house, and our children are happy and healthy. Its a very different life to the one i imagned back in 2006 when i started my BA degree! My plan was to live in Camden, earn tit loads of money, never have kids, and live in a smart apartment- oh and to go out every night in Camden Town!! Its partly my own fault for not applying for graduate scheme jobs, but i didnt really know what to do career wise. I was just told that i would be earning decent money upon graduating!
Aww its nice to see another Cumbrian on here! Im in Kendal, and i do enjoy living here and bringing my children up here. I just wish i was earning more! We have talked about moving to a city but we would miss kendal so much; our support system is here and that outweighs everything. I would love to go back to uni to do my Phd and work as a lecturer at Lancaster Uni, i think thats my ultimate aim, but even uni lecturers are not on amazing money! considering how bloody intelligent they are, and the research they do, they dont make millions.
Maybe i should have been more money orientated. One thing is for certain, im absolutely not going to push my own children in going to uni unless they absolutely want to! My partner is an electrician and gets paid well- more than me for sure! I think the problem is my own parents thought me going to uni would get me out of their own cycle of very low working class/almost on the poverty line, i was the first in my family to go to uni and they saw it as a one way automatic ticket to success.
But anyway, i dont mean to sound so bitter and im really trying to grateful for the things i have got in life. Im just going to have to carry on playing the lottery! :)

Reactions: 11
Honestly the amount of hours i do is absolutely ridiculous, and it works out im getting about £3 per hour when broken down! And i know its not about the "money" being a social worker, but for what we do, the hours we work, the responsibility we have, all the tit we have to put up; we should be on at least double!
Not gonna lie, when ive read some posts on here i did wonder where i went wrong in life. But im very grateful that im even earning, my other half earns quite well as an electrician, we have our house, and our children are happy and healthy. Its a very different life to the one i imagned back in 2006 when i started my BA degree! My plan was to live in Camden, earn tit loads of money, never have kids, and live in a smart apartment- oh and to go out every night in Camden Town!! Its partly my own fault for not applying for graduate scheme jobs, but i didnt really know what to do career wise. I was just told that i would be earning decent money upon graduating!
Aww its nice to see another Cumbrian on here! Im in Kendal, and i do enjoy living here and bringing my children up here. I just wish i was earning more! We have talked about moving to a city but we would miss kendal so much; our support system is here and that outweighs everything. I would love to go back to uni to do my Phd and work as a lecturer at Lancaster Uni, i think thats my ultimate aim, but even uni lecturers are not on amazing money! considering how bloody intelligent they are, and the research they do, they dont make millions.
Maybe i should have been more money orientated. One thing is for certain, im absolutely not going to push my own children in going to uni unless they absolutely want to! My partner is an electrician and gets paid well- more than me for sure! I think the problem is my own parents thought me going to uni would get me out of their own cycle of very low working class/almost on the poverty line, i was the first in my family to go to uni and they saw it as a one way automatic ticket to success.
But anyway, i dont mean to sound so bitter and im really trying to grateful for the things i have got in life. Im just going to have to carry on playing the lottery! :)
So much of what you say I can relate to. I’m on my own with my daughter though so I live to a budget which on paper you wouldn’t think I’d have to. Can’t help but feel some envy at some of these salaries. Maybe it’s time I start playing the lottery 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 1
£45k working in marketing for a fortune 500. I had a big career change at 30 due to health issues, so I started at the bottom in marketing on £20k and no relevant degree and worked my way up a few years later. It was very hard and competitive but it can be done and I want to be earning more by next year.
i also have some other income streams.

£41k secretary which I see a bit more of now it’s a hybrid role. I’m a single parent to two teens so it doesn’t go very far unfortunately and so I work weekends too as a cleaner but much better than when I found myself with no job during covid.

Reactions: 4
So much of what you say I can relate to. I’m on my own with my daughter though so I live to a budget which on paper you wouldn’t think I’d have to. Can’t help but feel some envy at some of these salaries. Maybe it’s time I start playing the lottery 😂
And we do live in the most beautiful part of the country, thats what i am going to start telling myself! :)

This thread makes me realise how badly I get paid. £10 an hour WFH admin for a small company. I don’t get holiday/sickness/pension as I am classed as self employed. I work my butt off and even though I’m not officially a supervisor or manager I do have to boss other staff around. I’m nearly 35 and feel like a complete failure at life 😔

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
This thread makes me realise how badly I get paid. £10 an hour WFH admin for a small company. I don’t get holiday/sickness/pension as I am classed as self employed. I work my butt off and even though I’m not officially a supervisor or manager I do have to boss other staff around. I’m nearly 35 and feel like a complete failure at life 😔
Please dont feel like that. I too felt abit wobbly and wondered about my own life when reading some of the posts. But you are so bleeping brave for being self employed.

• Heart
You're not a failure! Are you able to look elsewhere for work, with benefits like sick & holiday pay? I'm in my 30s and working for minimum wage, but it's all a stepping stone to better things. It's never too late for change!

Reactions: 6
Please dont feel like that. I too felt abit wobbly and wondered about my own life when reading some of the posts. But you are so bleeping brave for being self employed.
I’d rather be employed and have that stability. I did ask once but they refused which I think is a bit tit considering I work 35-40 hours a week for them. Not having any holiday completely burns me out. I take one or two weeks off a year and then panic because I’m not earning anything during that time. I’m intelligent and could do much better, I just don’t have much experience in anything that’s going to earn me much more money (history is care work, hospitality and HCA for NHS) it also doesn’t help that I need to WFH now x

You're not a failure! Are you able to look elsewhere for work, with benefits like sick & holiday pay? I'm in my 30s and working for minimum wage, but it's all a stepping stone to better things. It's never too late for change!
I need to WFH so I don’t know what jobs to look for. I really don’t want to do call centre work from home as I used to do it and can’t stand being on the phone all day now because I get irritated by noise. I don’t mind the occasional phone call though. The job I do at the moment means I can quietly get on with my job and maybe take one or two phone calls a day. I just don’t know what to do x

Accountant earning £57k plus between 2-5k bonus. Qualified 3 years. 29 years old.

Partner regional finance manager £76.5k. plus £15k bonus. qualified 4 years. 35 years old.

Just bought a house so will be interesting to see how much disposable income we have when we have both just been putting 60% of our earnings away for saving for the house for the last 7 years!

£170k plus in the Film and TV industry. It would be considerably more if working for London based studios but the lifestyle is better here. My husband earns considerably more in the industry as he’s a lot higher up the food chain than me.

No paid holidays, pensions etc but living expenses and accommodation are included when on location.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
I’d rather be employed and have that stability. I did ask once but they refused which I think is a bit tit considering I work 35-40 hours a week for them. Not having any holiday completely burns me out. I take one or two weeks off a year and then panic because I’m not earning anything during that time. I’m intelligent and could do much better, I just don’t have much experience in anything that’s going to earn me much more money (history is care work, hospitality and HCA for NHS) it also doesn’t help that I need to WFH now x

I need to WFH so I don’t know what jobs to look for. I really don’t want to do call centre work from home as I used to do it and can’t stand being on the phone all day now because I get irritated by noise. I don’t mind the occasional phone call though. The job I do at the moment means I can quietly get on with my job and maybe take one or two phone calls a day. I just don’t know what to do x
A lot of jobs are offering WFH now. Where it was a USP before it is now expected as standard

There are social media community management and moderation roles that are WFH and pay better. DM if you want some companies.

Last edited:
Does anyone else think back to when they were younger; we were taught (well i was anyway) to do well at school, pass my exams, go to uni and then it would be easy to earn decent money? I come from a very low working class family, my family still live in the council house i grew up in, and my parents were never wealthy. But i was always taught that the better student you were the more you would earn! (how bloody wrong that was)!!
I did graduate in 2009 which was the worst bleeping year for graduates following the crash and i ended up signing on when i finished my BA. I did end up getting a job (back home in my hometown and on pretty tit pay), but then i went back to uni to do my MA. Dont get me wrong it gave me a profession and im a social worker, but looking at what other people earn compared to me, and when i think to the responsibility i have, its actually not a great paid job at all.
Dont get me wrong me and other half both earn and we have a mortgage, 2 amazing kids, and we are happy. But sometimes i do feel like i have wasted my life, and i could have done so much better for myself. But i live in the Lake District- yes its beautiful but its hardly the economic capital of the world!!! Sometimes i do feel a bit jealous when i see people earning so much more than me, especially as it was drilled into me to study study study and the rewards would be instant following graduation.
But we are happy, and there people alot worse off than me. So i should be grateful for what i have got
I think the problem is that schools don't teach which professions earn a lot. study hard, lots of school = doctor makes big bucks, study then shorter certifications in say marketing = big money as you go up the ladder. where i'm from psychologist get paid not much better then a cashier, and thats after a masters. schools don't teach nuance.

Reactions: 2
Your employer will need to change its working model in light of the new IR35 regulations.
We used to use consultants but they didn’t work for anyone else - so now the company has brought them in on an employed basis.
Presume your tax situation Is at least very beneficial if you are self employed? Can you write a lot of a stuff off as ‘work expenses‘ ?

Don’t feel like that at all. If you are really unhappy and other salaries are higher for the same job it’s definitely worth seeing what’s out there!

£26k for 2.5 days a week. Can’t complain.
Niceeeee! What do you do? Feel free to be general or not to answer at all 😅

Does anyone else think back to when they were younger; we were taught (well i was anyway) to do well at school, pass my exams, go to uni and then it would be easy to earn decent money? I come from a very low working class family, my family still live in the council house i grew up in, and my parents were never wealthy. But i was always taught that the better student you were the more you would earn! (how bloody wrong that was)!!
I did graduate in 2009 which was the worst bleeping year for graduates following the crash and i ended up signing on when i finished my BA. I did end up getting a job (back home in my hometown and on pretty tit pay), but then i went back to uni to do my MA. Dont get me wrong it gave me a profession and im a social worker, but looking at what other people earn compared to me, and when i think to the responsibility i have, its actually not a great paid job at all.
Dont get me wrong me and other half both earn and we have a mortgage, 2 amazing kids, and we are happy. But sometimes i do feel like i have wasted my life, and i could have done so much better for myself. But i live in the Lake District- yes its beautiful but its hardly the economic capital of the world!!! Sometimes i do feel a bit jealous when i see people earning so much more than me, especially as it was drilled into me to study study study and the rewards would be instant following graduation.
But we are happy, and there people alot worse off than me. So i should be grateful for what i have got
I’d say you’ve done very well to end up as a social worker. It’s never easy to earn a decent wage

I think the problem is that schools don't teach which professions earn a lot. study hard, lots of school = doctor makes big bucks, study then shorter certifications in say marketing = big money as you go up the ladder. where i'm from psychologist get paid not much better then a cashier, and thats after a masters. schools don't teach nuance.
Parents have the ability to teach this too 😀

I think everyone has to remember that those who earn the most usually shout about it the most on these types of threads. I see it on Reddit all the time.
Although it doesn’t seem like it, those who earn high amounts here are still in the country’s minority. There are literally people here in the top 1%. It’s incomparable to the normal person.
48A2E2C2-F4A0-4E25-BB24-27716FD2C1E9.jpeg

This pyramid excludes anyone on less than £16k/earn nothing which is a lot of people, so it is still not completely accurate.
Anyone who is earning something is doing ok.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
There are social media community management and moderation roles that are WFH and pay better. DM if you want some companies.
Thank you. I don’t know how to DM on here?

Your employer will need to change its working model in light of the new IR35 regulations.
We used to use consultants but they didn’t work for anyone else - so now the company has brought them in on an employed basis.
Presume your tax situation Is at least very beneficial if you are self employed? Can you write a lot of a stuff off as ‘work expenses‘ ?
Not really. I’ve just done my first year tax return and could claim quite a bit for new laptop and office furniture but in general it’ll just be a percentage of the household bills and phone.

Now is the time to find something new! Hybrid working and WFH is the norm now x

Reactions: 2