How Much Do You Earn? #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My degree had statistics modules and project management of a research study but it wasn't a maths degree. Ah that's a shame.

Really had to know what retrain in, in my 30s.
That’s a good degree for the area but I’d personally look for something that wouldn’t require a lot of new technical learning because you’ll be competing with so many grads who know languages and statistical modelling for jobs that don’t pay well. What do you do currently? You might not have to retrain much if you look at roles in that sector where your skills crossover.

Reactions: 1
That’s a good degree for the area but I’d personally look for something that wouldn’t require a lot of new technical learning because you’ll be competing with so many grads who know languages and statistical modelling for jobs that don’t pay well. What do you do currently? You might not have to retrain much if you look at roles in that sector where your skills crossover.
HR at the moment!

How did you get into tech? Do you get to wfh?
My first tech role (for a v famous social media company) I was headhunted via LinkedIn. I would look at your phone, look at the apps you use, and see if any of those companies have offices in the UK - and if they’re hiring for roles that you do. They pay well, have great benefits and lots of perks.

Yes I can WFH constantly, but I do pop to the office twice a week to see my team and eat the free food

Reactions: 2
I was on £65,000 plus all the snazzy benefits and perks in my last job but it was utter hell with a toxic fake positivity culture. Everyone had a smile plastered on their face while they stabbed each other in the back.

I am taking a £10,000 pay cut to my base salary and letting go of basically every benefit and bonus with my new job but the people are lovely, everyone seems genuine (an old work friend of mine has already been working there a year now), and people just get on with their own tit.

I can't wait to start.
One year on… how’s it going!?

People with jobs at this pay level - if you'd be happy to share I'd love to hear how you got here!

What role did you start in, did you need specific education or training, how many years did it take?
Similar salary, higher bonus

Rough salary progression which is over quite a few years and a Masters somewhere in there

Started in a corporate, HR Admin, about £14k (it was a long time ago!)
HR Assistant c.£18-19k
HR officer - £23-28k
HR Manager - £32-40k (was over quite a few years so went up)
HRM larger company -£50-62k
HRBP -£60k
Senior HRBP -£70-85 plus bonus

Are you an MP?😅

All jokes aside best of luck with the interview that's an amazing salary!
I had my interview last Monday, and despite them saying they would get back to me by Wednesday….I have not heard from them since.
So annoying when they do this.
I will call them on Monday.
I really need this job, 7 months out of work and credit cards are maxed out!

• Heart
29k - Tesco.
Do you get perks in the stores, like discounts or freebies? I would genuinely find that very very attractive
---
People with jobs at this pay level - if you'd be happy to share I'd love to hear how you got here!

What role did you start in, did you need specific education or training, how many years did it take?
Yes for me it was just moving jobs regularly, and expanding my skills within each one that then made me more attractive for the next company.

I didn’t go to Uni.

The real salary leap came for me when I started working for American firms in London. They pay everyone well, from reception staff up.
---
I had my interview last Monday, and despite them saying they would get back to me by Wednesday….I have not heard from them since.
So annoying when they do this.
I will call them on Monday.
I really need this job, 7 months out of work and credit cards are maxed out!
In my experience with recruitment (I’ve hired lots of people over the years), when you definitely don’t have the job they tell you straight away to save you waiting.

If there is a delay it means you are still a contender. They might be completing interviews with other competing candidates, or still debating which candidate to hire. Either way, no news is usually good news.

My degree had statistics modules and project management of a research study but it wasn't a maths degree. Ah that's a shame.

Really had to know what retrain in, in my 30s.

Hey!

I work in Tech, always have, first as a Data Scientist, pivoted to Program/Product Management (I've found that while they are different things, many companies just tend to use either title). My current salary is ~87k€, I work from home and have other benefits like stock options. WLB is okay-ish, company culture often crap. As so often with Tech companies, it's all nice and shiny from the outside, the inside truly isn't.
My recommendation would be to go broad, not deep. There's always some young kid straight out of uni with coding experience you are unlikely to reach, but the softer skills in communication, stakeholder management and especially also delivery are often not there and truly aren't for everyone. There isn't a specific degree for this, but there are courses online you can take. Ask yourself whether you are okay with basically being the one talking all the time, you communicate up, down, sideways, all the directions and you need to be ready to take the blame for a team if something goes wrong (and then translate that into work-friendly language further down). If that isn't for you, go into a more "Individual Contributor" roles.

Hey!

I work in Tech, always have, first as a Data Scientist, pivoted to Program/Product Management (I've found that while they are different things, many companies just tend to use either title). My current salary is ~87k€, I work from home and have other benefits like stock options. WLB is okay-ish, company culture often crap. As so often with Tech companies, it's all nice and shiny from the outside, the inside truly isn't.
My recommendation would be to go broad, not deep. There's always some young kid straight out of uni with coding experience you are unlikely to reach, but the softer skills in communication, stakeholder management and especially also delivery are often not there and truly aren't for everyone. There isn't a specific degree for this, but there are courses online you can take. Ask yourself whether you are okay with basically being the one talking all the time, you communicate up, down, sideways, all the directions and you need to be ready to take the blame for a team if something goes wrong (and then translate that into work-friendly language further down). If that isn't for you, go into a more "Individual Contributor" roles.
I’d second this. There seems to be very few people who can understand and direct the tech side of things but also communicate well and easily with others.