How long did it take you to conceive?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We have just decided for me to stop taking my pill (been on about 10 years). We’re not “trying” trying but just not being careful and if it happens it happens. But then I start freaking out thinking what if it takes months and months or years and years so maybe we should actively try now but then also what if u get pregnant first time am I ready?! I feel so stressed already. Does everyone take folic acid? Will any supermarket one do?
I am in exactly the same position as you. I stopped taking my pill in September and had a withdrawal bleed as normal but nothing since and I’m so worried it’s going to take ages for my periods to come back and I’ll have to wait ages to get pregnant!

I started taking folic acid a couple of months ago though, I just got it from Amazon

Reactions: 1
3 years for us, unexplained infertility. Finally got pregnant 2 weeks before our first IUI appointment. Felt like a real miracle. That was a while ago now but I’ll never forget the pain of all those negative tests. Good luck and I truly hope it happens quickly for those of you trying ❤

Reactions: 5
First time (Next cycle) for both of Mine - much to the disappointment of my husband. Haven’t been on birth control for years tho - just natural family planning and condoms

I am in exactly the same position as you. I stopped taking my pill in September and had a withdrawal bleed as normal but nothing since and I’m so worried it’s going to take ages for my periods to come back and I’ll have to wait ages to get pregnant!
I started taking folic acid a couple of months ago though, I just got it from Amazon
Yeah I stopped pill in sept as well. I downloaded Flo app just to track my periods to see if they’re regular and have a note of it cause on the pill I never paid any attention at all. Had a period/bleed end of sept so it’s predicted what date I should come on in Oct so waiting to see if that does happen and if it’s quite accurate. I think I maybe won’t try too hard or get too bothered maybe until after new year.

Yeah I stopped pill in sept as well. I downloaded Flo app just to track my periods to see if they’re regular and have a note of it cause on the pill I never paid any attention at all. Had a period/bleed end of sept so it’s predicted what date I should come on in Oct so waiting to see if that does happen and if it’s quite accurate. I think I maybe won’t try too hard or get too bothered maybe until after new year.
Me too - I downloaded Ovia and it predicted I would come on this week but I haven’t. It’s worrying me a bit but same as you, I’m going to just see what happens in the next few months. Ideally I’d like to get pregnant around feb/March time so I know I don’t need to panic just yet!

It’s funny how little attention you pay to these things until you to need to start thinking about them... it’s quite embarrassing how little I actually knew about trying for a baby until I started thinking about it

Reactions: 2
We dont seem to have an issue conceiving. I have had 9 miscarriages and I am now pregnant with baby number 10. We had devastating news last week that I will deliver the baby in the next week or two and it will pass away straight away as it is so poorly. Not sure where we go from here and I feel that this coupled with my mum dieing suddenly last year has left not wanting to go through this ever again. Does anyone know of anyone that has been through similair and gone on to have a healthy baby ?
I had a tfmr. As baby had too many abnormalities to really survive , I was just under 24 weeks. 3 months after I was pregnant and up to now baby seems healthy and all tests have come back clear .

• Heart
First baby was a happy accident after being sick for a few days while on the pill and second happened straight away. Huge amounts of luck to everyone on their journeys xx

Reactions: 4
First baby took 5 months after implant removal, second baby conceived same week as coming off the pill, unfortunately I miscarried at the beginning of this month but hope to try after next period. Good luck on your ttc journey!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I found out last night that I’m pregnant. This is the first time, I’d been on the pill for 10+ years and came off at the very end of August. I was convinced it would take us a few months at least as we are both the wrong side of 30 and overweight. Sounds crazy to say I’m shocked (it’s basic biology!) but I really didn’t expect it to happen so soon.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
We started trying two years into our marriage, and nothing happened for 6 years.
Every test under the sun, and completely unexplained.
We gave up, and started looking seriously at adoption.
Miracles seem to happen, and we have twin girls due in February. Never, never give up. Huge love to all trying. 💖

• Heart
Reactions: 20
We are on our 10th month. Came off the pill early December so counting from about January.

We weren't super serious about it initially, we aren't absolutely dyyyying for a baby right now. In a way I don't mind that it is taking a while because it is extra time to enjoy our life right now but I am glad I didn't wait until I was absolutely ready because otherwise 10+ months would be hell. I have small issues that could have an impact on ttc so I was told I could go back to my gp after 6 months of trying rather than the usual year mark but I just don't feel ready to jump into fertility treatments yet. I feel like once I go down that route I will become much more anxious and disappointed with it, whereas right now we are quietly trying while living our lives, I take sporadic tests but I don't hype it up or convince myself 'this is the month'.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Almost 3yrs, sadly we had 3 miscarriages but decided to take a step away as it became all consuming and stressful. We booked a holiday and fell pregnant and we have a wonderful little girl. Unfortunately, my husband has been battling cancer so conceiving 'naturally' now isn't an option but I am just incredibly thankful and count my blessings for our healthy, happy little girl.

Life can certainly test you at times but never give up. I was pretty naive and thought we'd try for a baby and it would just happen, I'd no idea of the stress and heartbreak we'd have to go through first but now seeing my dear friend going through her 3rd IVF and I actually consider myself quite fortunate now.
My very best wishes to all trying

• Heart
Reactions: 13
My daughter was conceived 7 years ago whilst I was on the pill, I had been sick for a few days. Was a surprise but a very happy one! Now trying for my second, only stopped contraception a few weeks ago. Hoping it will happen quickly but many of my friends have been trying for months/years so I know it could take a while! My daughter is desperate for a sibling ❤

4 months after coming off of the pill but sadly ended up as ectopic and surgery to remove a Fallopian tube in August at 10-11weeks pregnant.
TTC again after a period (Dr advice) but trying to be laid back about it, if that’s even possible. Was gutted when my period arrived this month but I know it may take longer for us this time round x

We dont seem to have an issue conceiving. I have had 9 miscarriages and I am now pregnant with baby number 10. We had devastating news last week that I will deliver the baby in the next week or two and it will pass away straight away as it is so poorly. Not sure where we go from here and I feel that this coupled with my mum dieing suddenly last year has left not wanting to go through this ever again. Does anyone know of anyone that has been through similair and gone on to have a healthy baby ?
My cousin and his gf had similar experience over a 6 year period. After several miscarriages and then an ectopic pregnancy they were offered IVF, where tests discovered my cousins gf had a blood disordered. This was treated whilst having IVF, and they now have a beautiful healthy 18month little girl ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
@Melmoo bless you sweetheart and I hope you have good luck on your journey.

Miscarriages are still quite taboo. I had my first miscarriage this year, in May. Like yours it was a MMC, I went to my usual routine scan at 12 weeks to be told my baby had passed at around 7-8 weeks. I was devastated. I fell pregnant funnily enough on Cerelle, it was a shock to me and my partner as our little boy was only 7 months old at the time (I also have 3 pre/teen sons too) we had literally only got our heads round it, accepted and got really excited about it. To be told crushing news within weeks. I ran out of that sonographers room in tears past all those pregnant ladies happily clutching their scan photos, ran to B and M and bought a small hardy bush to plant in my garden with a small angel figurine, I planted what I lost at home with the pessaries with it. It has grown so much and it may seem like something so small but it gave me great comfort whilst time used itself to heal. I also found reading other womens stories helped too, especially success afterwards.

Shockingly, pretty much every woman I spoke to about it, has suffered with one themselves somewhere along their journey to becoming a mum.

Apparently you are even more fertile after a miscarriage. However I have stayed off contraception and been trying since June and it hasn't happened yet, 4 cycles on. But I dont doubt it will even though I am in my mid 30s so it may take longer and I dont doubt it will happen again for you too.

❤

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My first baby took us 4 months to conceive. Im currently 13 weeks with our second and it took us nearly 2 years! A big shock. Would love to chat to anyone due next year? Good luck to everyone waiting for the BFP.

Update from me.... a positive pregnancy test!!

It still doesn't feel real and I feel like I need to take a million tests for it to sink in :eek:

Sending the biggest wishes to anyone else who is trying ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I came off the pill 14 weeks ago and still no period or any sort of bleed as of yet. I contacted my GP two weeks ago and they did bloods in case of polycystic ovaries but the results came back normal. Also had a pelvic scan and internal assessment which also came back normal. My GP is lovely and has referred me to gynae but said the referral may be rejected as they normally only accept after at least 6 months of trying. It’s not the conceiving bit which is the problem (at the moment), it’s the fact no periods means we can’t really even properly start ‘trying’ as there is no chance I’m ovulating- is this right or am I completely wrong here? Has anyone else experienced this? Oh and I’ve done 2 pregnancy tests (last one on Sunday) so I’m defs not already pregnant! Thanks guys ❤

I came off the pill 14 weeks ago and still no period or any sort of bleed as of yet. I contacted my GP two weeks ago and they did bloods in case of polycystic ovaries but the results came back normal. Also had a pelvic scan and internal assessment which also came back normal. My GP is lovely and has referred me to gynae but said the referral may be rejected as they normally only accept after at least 6 months of trying. It’s not the conceiving bit which is the problem (at the moment), it’s the fact no periods means we can’t really even properly start ‘trying’ as there is no chance I’m ovulating- is this right or am I completely wrong here? Has anyone else experienced this? Oh and I’ve done 2 pregnancy tests (last one on Sunday) so I’m defs not already pregnant! Thanks guys ❤
I don’t know what the actual science is but you can get pregnant after having a baby before your periods start again and If they’ve stopped due to anorexia so you can fall without having periods. Maybe get some ovulation sticks from Amazon. They’re less than £10 for a month or two from recollection x

Thank you 😊 I’ve already picked up some ovulation sticks in preparation so I’ll start trying those and see. I had an eating disorder years ago (been recovered for 7 years) but because, up until august, I had been on cerelle for 10 years and have never had a period while on it I’m not sure if the delay is because of this or the length of time I was on the pill or just Mother Nature taking her time! Thanks though 😊 x