Votes: 154 55.4%
  • 4-6 months

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • 6-12 months

Votes: 33 11.9%
  • 12 months +

Votes: 73 26.3%

• Total voters
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My partner and I have decided to try for baby (eek!) and I was shocked to find out that anything up to a year is classed as ‘normal’ to fall pregnant!

We’re not in any hurry and know that everyone is different, but would be interested to see everyone’s answers :)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
16 months for the first one, and it was literally 2 days before the IVF appointment. I'd been on the pill for years though. I had honestly given up.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Straight away on our first baby. Same with my 2nd pregnancy but sadly came to an end after 6 weeks. After taking a break from trying for 6 months it took about 5 more to conceive a 3rd time. I do know plenty of others that have tried for a long time before it happening.
Start taking daily folic acid now.
Try not to turn sex into a mission to get pregnant. It will happen when the time is right. Good luck 😀

Reactions: 2
First time lucky with child no1 and then 8 months with second - three years later after first was born. (Got pregnant around 5th month trying with second child, but had an early miscarriage and then pregnant again the following month). Get to know your cycle well if you don't already and ovulation prediction tests were key for us. Good luck

My partner and I have decided to try for baby (eek!) and I was shocked to find out that anything up to a year is classed as ‘normal’ to fall pregnant!

We’re not in any hurry and know that everyone is different, but would be interested to see everyone’s answers :)
Me too! I came off the pill last month and we would like to try and get pregnant early next year. I worry about everything all the time though and have already been stressing myself out wondering if there are any issues on either of our sides that we don’t know about yet!

I was off the pill for 3+ years with my ex partner, not trying but not using protection. I actually ended up being tested to see if I was ovulating, had PCOS etc, all was fine but we broke up before he was tested so I don't know for sure there wasn't some medical reason with him that I never fell. We mostly only spent weekends together though due to work so I guess you could say we missed the ovulation window many a month.
My current partner, I came off the pill since it was causing all sorts of problems and we knew we wanted children. Being late 30s with that history wanted to stop using protection in order to have been 'trying' for a long enough time to qualify for IVF before my age excluded me, expecting we'd need it. Was pregnant 6 weeks later.

• Heart
3 years and then we had the fertility tests which all came back fine but as we had “unexplained” infertility i was offered clomid and caught on my 3rd cycle.

I never went back on the pill after having my little girl and 3 years on we are still trying for our second. We were due to see a consultant for some more clomid just before lockdown and the appointment was cancelled ☹

Best of luck to you 💖

• Heart
A few months but miscarried, then exactly a year later I fell pregnant again (same due date as the year before) We didn't 'try' every month, as my partner works away for weeks at a time so my cycle often didn't match up. It's different for everyone! Good luck.

Reactions: 1
I was off the pill for 3+ years with my ex partner, not trying but not using protection. I actually ended up being tested to see if I was ovulating, had PCOS etc, all was fine but we broke up before he was tested so I don't know for sure there wasn't some medical reason with him that I never fell. We mostly only spent weekends together though due to work so I guess you could say we missed the ovulation window many a month.
My current partner, I came off the pill since it was causing all sorts of problems and we knew we wanted children. Being late 30s with that history wanted to stop using protection in order to have been 'trying' for a long enough time to qualify for IVF before my age excluded me, expecting we'd need it. Was pregnant 6 weeks later.
I hope this happens to me as I’m in a similar situation.
so happy for you xxxx

• Heart
I've had one pregnancy and one child, and it was as immediate. I got off birth control, had my period, timed when I thought I'd be ovulating, and was pregnant when I tested two or three weeks after ovulation.

I expected to have problems because my periods we're always so painful it required days of school, visits to the nurse/doctor etc. Extreme pain like that makes me throw up, I couldn't eat or drink anything every month for the first two days of my period. I would throw up water too- hence I couldn't go to school and usually ended up at the doctors office for dehydration.

My doctor eventually put me on the pill to ease my symptoms and I thought because I went on the pill at such a young age, I'd have problems.

There were no problems, so there's hope. Good luck. xox

I think it really depends but having worked in the NHS I can say anything up to a year is completely normal! Even longer if your not having ‘regular’ sex. People often don’t realise this and come in after 2 months demanding tests as something is wrong when really it’s not

I know people who got pregnant straight away with the first baby then second one took ages and other way round. Lots of people get pregnant on the IVF waiting list. Sometimes people lie about how long it takes them as well I’m not sure why but definitely doesn’t help people realise it can take a while

Our first pregnancy we were very happy go lucky “if it happens it happens” so I’d say about 2 months, with our second I’d say maybe 3 months. We’ve been very lucky with how easy we fell pregnant. My older sister, it took her 9 years before she fell pregnant.

When my husband and I were trying, I had 6 periods/ cycles before I fell pregnant. I was trying to work out my fertile dates with the charts on different websites (the seemed to vary by a couple of days) but going my my pregnancy dates , my fertile days were earlier in my cycle than I estimated n

With my 1st child it took nearly a year after coming off the pill. For my 2nd child it took a few months and 3rd it was 1st time.
I worked out my fertile dates and just went for it 🤭 and it did happen.

I can't speak from experience as we haven't started to try yet but for both my sister + partner, and my brother + partner, they were quick, within 0-3 months (I only know this because we are planning to try and it's all I think about at the minute.. so I've been asking these personal questions.. that's what older siblings are there for!):LOL:
Good luck!

Pregnancy 1: 5 months (ended in miscarriage)
Pregnancy 2: 6 months
Pregnancy 3: SURPRISE! One hit wonder!
Pregnancy 4: 5 months
Pregnancy 5: first cycle 🥰

(I’ve used months above but my cycles are erratic so 6 months doesn’t mean 6 cycles for me, could be 3 cycles, and this pregnancy was 1 cycle but 3 months!)

Each cycle your don’t conceive can be devastating, even if it’s only at the start. We were lucky to never have to wait more than 6 months, but those months were sometimes hard, especially for baby 1 after we lost out first pregnancy.

Good luck!! My top tip is track your cycle, get to know your own signs and symptoms of ovulation, and get really in tune with what’s going on in there.

2 years, 2 miscarriages during that time but finally got our rainbow baby who is nearly 8 months old 😊

The best of wishes & luck to you ❤

• Heart
I've been pregnant 6 times in 8 years. 2 ended in miscarriage but I fell pregnant on either the first or 2nd month of trying each time. I always thought I would have problems conceiving due to severe anorexia in my younger days, but I have been very lucky. Both my sister and sister in law took about a year.

As others have said though, definitely read your body's signs as to when you are fertile, chart it and hammer away for about 5 days up to and including ovulation day and maybe a day or two after just to make sure😂

Last edited: