Houseplants

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well I have binned that coconut compost I was recommended - it successfully sent my aspidistra into a downward spiral and another one looks decidedly poorly having been repotted into the stuff. I've chucked it onto a tub outside where the lavendar can deal with it :)

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Any recommendations for a nice colourful plant for a kitchen window. It’s fully south facing so very bright and direct sunlight (well as much as there is in the north of England) I did have a citrus plant but think I have finally killed it 🙈
I have a Christmas/Thanksgiving cactus in my south facing kitchen window that loves it there.

I really love it because as soon as the clocks go back in October it starts flowering, beautiful massive pink flowers. It's a bit of joy in dark and dismal times over winter. In summer it stacks on new leaves. I find it to be a remarkably uplifting plant. It's almost magic how it knows when then clocks go back!

They normally have them in lidl soon fairly cheap.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Last year I bought a Clivia from Death Row at the garden Centre. Sadly they are not deep-rooted at all so it fell over with most of it dead apart from one sprig - I potted that up and now its in flower again!
The weather has changed here too in the past two weeks so now I am bringing indoors the houseplants who have enjoyed summer on the veranda, like my Dragon Tree and a couple of Kalenchoes. Autumn is here!

I swear my once-headed-for-the-bin calathea is doing this just to spite me now. It won't stop growing!
20231023_110425.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Also how's this for a resurrection? My boston fern today
20231027_111903.jpg

And in May after I cut off all the dead stuff
20230528_100104.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
Mr D's Boston Fern is less in need of a resurrection than it is a seance.

20231027_124248.jpg

It's now on the Nursing Wing. Seems to have worked rather well for the Tradescantia, as that was one pathetic scrap left from the battering of the Cat poked into the top of the pot. Slightly too well, when you take into account that there's a huge clump of water roots that appeared almost overnight and it now has its own water supply and those danglies are about three foot long all round.

• Heart
  • Haha
Mr D's Boston Fern is less in need of a resurrection than it is a seance.

View attachment 2534855

It's now on the Nursing Wing. Seems to have worked rather well for the Tradescantia, as that was one pathetic scrap left from the battering of the Cat poked into the top of the pot. Slightly too well, when you take into account that there's a huge clump of water roots that appeared almost overnight and it now has its own water supply and those danglies are about three foot long all round.
Never seen such rigidity in a boston fern, its like a horror film poster of an arm reaching out of a grave. Wishing it a zombie strength resurrection.
Those bushy hanging bostern ferns you see hanging up on American porches are so dreamy.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Realised with horror last night that I've been overwatering my beautiful blue star fern. Its soil was sodden and starting to lose leaves. Its currently sitting in the (empty) sink to drain off. I might give it some fresh soil later and check the roots. Hopefully I've saved it in time. Its one of my favourite plants.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Realised with horror last night that I've been overwatering my beautiful blue star fern. Its soil was sodden and starting to lose leaves. Its currently sitting in the (empty) sink to drain off. I might give it some fresh soil later and check the roots. Hopefully I've saved it in time. Its one of my favourite plants.
I don't think it sounds too bad if the leaves are only starting to drop, new little tendrils are usually quick to spring up- but feel for you that with the lack of light now recovery might be so much slower

To ease your worries maybe a little prod about the hairy rhizome bit for anything mushy would be more of an indication of the water damage?

They're such a beautiful tough plant- wish other in house ferns could take note.

On a similar track, calathea wise I've found the rattlesnake one to be a no fuss even up to drought belter

Reactions: 2
I don't think it sounds too bad if the leaves are only starting to drop, new little tendrils are usually quick to spring up- but feel for you that with the lack of light now recovery might be so much slower

To ease your worries maybe a little prod about the hairy rhizome bit for anything mushy would be more of an indication of the water damage?

They're such a beautiful tough plant- wish other in house ferns could take note.

On a similar track, calathea wise I've found the rattlesnake one to be a no fuss even up to drought belter
Yeah I might give it a spell in a bright window to help its recovery

Reactions: 1
For years my aloe have looked great but now they all look like this, smaller ones are completely dead, bigger ones are loosing their lower leaves. Are they overwatered, underwatered, too hot/cold or have succumbed to something awful, all suggestions welcome, thank you.

Attachments

• Sad
Reactions: 3
For years my aloe have looked great but now they all look like this, smaller ones are completely dead, bigger ones are loosing their lower leaves. Are they overwatered, underwatered, too hot/cold or have succumbed to something awful, all suggestions welcome, thank you.
Over. Very, very over.

Did anyone get any planty presents for Christmas?

I didn't as my gifts were mostly alcohol based.

Reactions: 4