Houseplants

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm running out of spaces too 😬 luckily the summer is so bad I can get away with putting some plants on the south facing windows for now.
Here is the current state of the death defying calathea - I'm frankly amazed at its progress
20230801_091432.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 5
what is your secret

My money's on abject neglect.

I'd be tempted to take bits off the end and stick them back on the pot to thicken it up. It's how I get most of my dangly plants and succulents to bulk up, especially as they're prone to cat related assaults, so there are always bits to do it with.

Reactions: 3
Another vote for neglecting string of hearts. I usually have to trim my OG two or three times through spring/summer and propagate it in water it to make more plants. This year though I gave it a hair cut in the winter and it’s taken until now to grow down to my kitchen counter again so I’m loathe to trim the new growth. It’ll just have to dangle in my washing up 🤡

Reactions: 2
What is the best method for training a cheese plant to go up a pole? I have got a pole and going to put it at the back of the pot and then loosley tie the plant to it....Is that the best way?

What is the best method for training a cheese plant to go up a pole? I have got a pole and going to put it at the back of the pot and then loosley tie the plant to it....Is that the best way?
I have done that with my monstera and she is happy

Can anyone advise what these are and how to get rid of them? I only have a few plants and I repotted them all a little while ago, and they have taken over my entire house, even rooms that don’t have plants! Any advice? I have the sticky traps everywhere and I have ordered some new soil to repot but I feel ill at how many there are 😂😭
They're fungus gnats. Harmless but very annoying. Sticky traps are good for the adults, you can control the larvae with nematodes - I buy them from amazon, I don't think we can embed the link but it's this stuff amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RRBX6Q7 "Sciarid Fly Nematodes Fungus Gnat Compost Fly Organic Natural Killer Treatment Treats 12.sqm" You need to make sure you use it soon after it arrives as they're living organisms. Also watering your plants from the bottom helps, as the fungus gnats like to breed in the damp soil on top of the pot. Sheffield Made Plants has more tips - here's one video but I'm sure he's done others

They're fungus gnats. Harmless but very annoying. Sticky traps are good for the adults, you can control the larvae with nematodes - I buy them from amazon, I don't think we can embed the link but it's this stuff amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RRBX6Q7 "Sciarid Fly Nematodes Fungus Gnat Compost Fly Organic Natural Killer Treatment Treats 12.sqm" You need to make sure you use it soon after it arrives as they're living organisms. Also watering your plants from the bottom helps, as the fungus gnats like to breed in the damp soil on top of the pot. Sheffield Made Plants has more tips - here's one video but I'm sure he's done others
Thank you so much!! Will order now, is it also worth repotting again?

Thank you so much!! Will order now, is it also worth repotting again?
Yes if it's really bad. But the larvae are tiny so brush as much dirt carefully off as you can. It's a multi factorial approach, unfortunately

Reactions: 1