Houseplants

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Steady now, they're still very, very tiny.

I'd wait until they were about 2 inches tall and then stick them in 1.5" mini pots of a succulent mix - they seem to absolutely adore being forgotten about until they're so top heavy they topple over before repotting.

Maybe experiment with one as a single stem tree/poundshop Bonsai, one with the leading shoot lopped off once it starts sending out a couple of side branches and one just allowed to do whatever the hell it likes?

Reactions: 1
Steady now, they're still very, very tiny.

I'd wait until they were about 2 inches tall and then stick them in 1.5" mini pots of a succulent mix - they seem to absolutely adore being forgotten about until they're so top heavy they topple over before repotting.

Maybe experiment with one as a single stem tree/poundshop Bonsai, one with the leading shoot lopped off once it starts sending out a couple of side branches and one just allowed to do whatever the hell it likes?
Oh yes I wasn't going to do anything yet, I'm basically ignoring them! I am liking this bonsai experiment idea.

I rescued this money plant for 40p in Morrisons, a couple of weeks before Christmas. I'm notorious for overwatering (and killing) my plants, so I've left this one alone apart from a dribble of water once a fortnight and now I've got 3 tiny new leaves poking through the soil! The older leaf on the left though, looks like something has taken a bite from it? It seems healthy apart from that, should I bin the half-bitten leaf?
IMG_20240101_102722_338.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 3
First leaf baby of the year. I don't know where he's going to go if he gets much bigger 🤭🤣
20240107_112116.jpg
20240107_112132.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
You could start taking node cuttings and building your own Monstera Army?

I've decided to entertain myself by taping my neglected but completely refusing to die mini moth orchid to the Monstera pole. It had been sitting on top of a bowl of woodchips for about a year on the kitchen windowsill after Mr D nearly killed it by kidnapping it for the spare room and then keeping it away from light and any moisture at all, so I know it doesn't have much interest in being in compost. I reckon it's already stretched its air roots out just from being there overnight with a misting of water.

Does anyone have any advice for a droopy, flopping monstera that seems to be wilting at the leaf edges? I have moss poles to support him and a grow light to replace the sun. I don't overwater either I'm keen to save him as he is quite large now and I grew him from small. My mini monstera seems to be going the same way.

Does anyone have any advice for a droopy, flopping monstera that seems to be wilting at the leaf edges? I have moss poles to support him and a grow light to replace the sun. I don't overwater either I'm keen to save him as he is quite large now and I grew him from small. My mini monstera seems to be going the same way.
Temperature or pests are the only things I can think of 🤷‍♀️ check the underside of the leaves. I have to bring my monstera albo into the warmest room as it gets so dramatic in winter.

Is he pot bound?

Other than that, it could be that he was so desperate for light that he's gone all teenaged boy gangly, trying to reach the window, and ran out of strength to hold himself up.

Mine is only looking properly happy now he's directly underneath a triple headed grow light that comes on for 12 hours a day that happens to be next to the radiator when it comes on for a couple of hours a day to take the edge off - and has chucked out one actually split leaf, a bunch of air roots and finally started thickening up in the last month since he was shifted to make space for the new sofa and a Christmas tree.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Please tell me, how did you grow this beautiful beast?! I would love one like that!!
Honestly, I have no idea. He was £3.99 in Lidl 4 years ago. He lives in our kitchen next to a row of bifolds and has a velux above him so all the light probably helps. A little bit of neglect and Just repotted when I thought it needed. I've said it isn't getting another pot but it doesn't seem to care, just getting bigger and bigger. I cut off ariel roots and water when I remember. I've had to cut off yellowing leaves but it seemed to enjoy that and got bigger. Some leaves went crusty at the edges so I trimmed the brown bits off . I've tried propagating him but it didn't survive. Oh and he's tied to a tiny moss pole, I must get a bigger one this year!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
This week I have to repot Drippy the Alocasia as he's sprouted another leaf and is now in danger of toppling over. I've bought him a nice heavy terracotta pot to counterbalance him plus I've put the compost in the bathroom to warm through for a few days before I tackle the job - I hope I can get him out without damaging him though

I’ve lost my baroque sword, a zebra plant and a spider plant 😔 I’ve just admitted defeat and given them all a send off to the bin. I’m sad about the baroque sword especially, the zebra plant has been a drama queen from the very beginning and the dog knocked the spider plant which was the beginning of the end. On the bright side, I’ve got three pots that need filling now…

Drippy now reported plus in doing so I used his old pot for another plant to upgrade them, thus I've actually rehoused 4 now. What a mess I made though 👍
Oh man that’s a gorgeous plant. I had one of those and despite being in a bright room it died.

• Heart
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I’ve had a look back through a few pages but couldn’t see anything….
Has anyone tried an app, or used any sort of other recorded method for watering their plants? I’ve recently moved into a new house and acquired quite a few house plants which all seem to need watering/caring for at different times, I keep losing track of what has been watered when, and think I’m a bit of an over-waterer 😬

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I’ve had a look back through a few pages but couldn’t see anything….
Has anyone tried an app, or used any sort of other recorded method for watering their plants? I’ve recently moved into a new house and acquired quite a few house plants which all seem to need watering/caring for at different times, I keep losing track of what has been watered when, and think I’m a bit of an over-waterer 😬
Personally I water them all on the same day each week. Easy to keep track then. Or maybe mark on the calendar? We have a week planner on the fridge and I write ‘cacti’ when it’s a cactus watering week and ‘plants’ when it’s a general watering day for all the others.