Houseplants

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Personally I water them all on the same day each week. Easy to keep track then. Or maybe mark on the calendar? We have a week planner on the fridge and I write ‘cacti’ when it’s a cactus watering week and ‘plants’ when it’s a general watering day for all the others.
A calendar… genius! Why didn’t I think of that 🤦🏼‍♀️🤣

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I’ve had a look back through a few pages but couldn’t see anything….
Has anyone tried an app, or used any sort of other recorded method for watering their plants? I’ve recently moved into a new house and acquired quite a few house plants which all seem to need watering/caring for at different times, I keep losing track of what has been watered when, and think I’m a bit of an over-waterer 😬
Planta! You can upload pictures of your plants to track their growth and can even set up different rooms and specify the light/if the plant is close to a heat source etc. It’s so fun. I do find their watering schedule can be a bit overzealous, so always check the soil before you water. There are paid for options but the free one does all of the above 🌿

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I got a simple houseplant moisture meter from Amazon which took a lot of the guesswork out of watering, especially for fusspots like calatheas and ferns

Reactions: 1
I don't think I can post amazon links but mine is XLUX Soil Moisture Meter, Plant Water Monitor, Hygrometer Sensor for Gardening, Farming, indoor and outdoor plants, No Batteries Required
1705504469613.png

• Heart
Anyone know what this head is up to? It's a kalanchoe that I propagated from a cutting, but is really spindly
1000026410.jpg

My monstera has started chucking out new leaves! 😍 Although god knows how cos my kitten must’ve pulled it down onto the floor at least ten times this week 😡🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I have just repotted my Parlour Palm and a couple of the rest in my vast collection. The varigated Rubber Plant is on another growth spurt too - spring hath sprung!

I'm having a problem with my Tradescantia Sunny Star. It's supposed to look like this:

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 9.26.31 AM.png

but it doesn't. Instead it gets long and leggy and then topples over and breaks off. I had thought that "long and leggy" meant not enough light but it's under a grow light and I'm careful about watering. Everything I've read about it says this is an easy plant to grow, but not for me! Oh and I'm having similar issues with my aluminium plant (it's under the same grow light). What am I doing wrong? :(

This may be a dumb question but is your grow light giving out the right wavelength day light?
I have the sprawling kind of tradescantia and they really go for it, I just cut off bits and regenerate them every few months, so maybe just resign yourself to cutting off and repotting the top when it gets too big? (I'm assuming it works in the same way as other tradescantia and propagates easily like this)

Reactions: 1
This may be a dumb question but is your grow light giving out the right wavelength day light?
I have the sprawling kind of tradescantia and they really go for it, I just cut off bits and regenerate them every few months, so maybe just resign yourself to cutting off and repotting the top when it gets too big? (I'm assuming it works in the same way as other tradescantia and propagates easily like this)
Not a dumb question at all and I'd been thinking this myself but unfortunately I don't know the answer. It does propagate quite easily but since I can never get any further than "long and leggy" then I don't know if I want to keep doing that. Thank you for the input! :)

I repotted my six year old Pothos last week and I think it's gone into shock, looks terrible. Just going to leave it and hope it settles :cry:

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I got a fiddle leaf fig a few months ago and it currently only has three of its leafs left. I don’t know where I’m going wrong with it, but if the other three drop off is there any hope for it?! It wasn’t cheap so I’m hoping I can salvage it

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I repotted my six year old Pothos last week and I think it's gone into shock, looks terrible. Just going to leave it and hope it settles :cry:
On the recommendation of someone at the garden centre I used coconut compost to repot my beloved aspidistra and as a result he nearly died! I salvaged one solitary leaf then flung that shite compost out but thankfully that one leaf is sprouting another so Percy is alive, but I was bloody furious because I'd given the original cutting of Percy to my grandmother when I was nine and 55 years later that bloody compost nearly saw him off!
Word of warning - do not use coconut compost!!!!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
On the recommendation of someone at the garden centre I used coconut compost to repot my beloved aspidistra and as a result he nearly died! I salvaged one solitary leaf then flung that shite compost out but thankfully that one leaf is sprouting another so Percy is alive, but I was bloody furious because I'd given the original cutting of Percy to my grandmother when I was nine and 55 years later that bloody compost nearly saw him off!
Word of warning - do not use coconut compost!!!!
Seconding this warning - I lost two beloved plants to coconut compost.

• Sad
Reactions: 6