Houseplants

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Repotted my mama monstera last night - what a workout that was! 🤣 Three branches were cut off for propagation and I had to sacrifice a few of the non-fenestrated leaves to neaten her up!

Before… CHAOS:

1676107349239.jpeg

After 😍

1676107387801.jpeg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
Repotted my mama monstera last night - what a workout that was! 🤣 Three branches were cut off for propagation and I had to sacrifice a few of the non-fenestrated leaves to neaten her up!

Before… CHAOS:

View attachment 1951292

After 😍

View attachment 1951293
You have done wonders!! I was abandoned with a similar looking plant in December without the knowledge that owner wouldn't be coming back to reclaim it. He decided to move.

With my history of pot plant killing I'm looking at it warily, it seems to be doing OK. How dare he abandon it with me?!

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I've got a few plants with new leaves coming through. There's a wonderful looking one on my Monstera and this one on my Chinese Evergreen. After being a tube for ages, it's just started unrolling 💚. I can't work out what's going on with the leaf in the background though. It looks half dead but feels OK and the stem is still firm.
20230211_180610.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Could someone tell me what’s wrong with this plant? Says it’s an Alocasia Baginda. Seems to be moldy? Also the leaves are going brown.
View attachment 1957551View attachment 1957553View attachment 1957554
Looks like a Dobbies rescue shelf purchase? I think it has been overwatered and tightly packed on the shelf which has caused the mould.

I'd get it repotted, remove the mesh that is most likely around the roots, save any corms that you find in the soil so that you can start off some spares and keep it somewhere reasonably warm and humid.

Baginda is a term that seems to be used for types of alocasia dragon scale but I'm not entirely sure which one it is. It has a little look of Black magic to it but I'm not sure it is.
---

20230213_210154.jpg

This is a young black magic so it might be 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Looks like a Dobbies rescue shelf purchase? I think it has been overwatered and tightly packed on the shelf which has caused the mould.

I'd get it repotted, remove the mesh that is most likely around the roots, save any corms that you find in the soil so that you can start off some spares and keep it somewhere reasonably warm and humid.

Baginda is a term that seems to be used for types of alocasia dragon scale but I'm not entirely sure which one it is. It has a little look of Black magic to it but I'm not sure it is.
---

View attachment 1957651

Thank you! Yes it was a dobbies rescue. There was loads of them and some of them quite sorry looking. I need to get some more soil and then I’ll have a wee look at it in the next few days. My other rescue orchids seem to be ok. Plants I’m not the best at but somehow orchids I can do well with - make it make sense hahahaa

I love the rescue shelf but there have been slim pickings at my local recently. Hopefully it gets better in the spring/summer.

I grow the corms on damp moss. Just lie them on top and keep the moss moist.

Happy valentines day tattlers, I hope all your babies are doing well 💗

• Heart
Reactions: 4
20230214_093529.jpg

Happy valentines day plant lovers ❤ My var. Frydek is giving me 3 new leaves. One of them looks really good, one a bit meh and the other is too new to tell.

Reactions: 5
Great job on the monstera!

My incredibly temperamental begonia flowered! I can't believe it!
I’m so jealous of your begonia success! Mine withered away into a shrub over winter! Your’s looks so pink too! 😍

Monstera update - the fancy biodegradable pole couldn’t withstand the weight of my monster 👹 Found it snapped in half on Saturday morn so had to make an emergency visit to a garden centre for a giant moss pole 🤣

1676383183670.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 8
I bought this little chap in Lidl the other day, a baby variegated Rubber Plant (ficus elastica) It was bone dry, so dry the soil did not even support it properly because nobody in there looks after the plants at all, so I shall be going back again to see what they have as leftovers from Valentines day to do a spot of Rescue ;)

Attachments

I bought this little chap in Lidl the other day, a baby variegated Rubber Plant (ficus elastica) It was bone dry, so dry the soil did not even support it properly because nobody in there looks after the plants at all, so I shall be going back again to see what they have as leftovers from Valentines day to do a spot of Rescue ;)
They had the succulent with hearts on sale today. Managed not to buy anything.

---

View attachment 1957651

That baby is beautiful! As for OP's plant, definitely looks like an alocasia black velvet.

20230216_182132.jpg

First healthy leaf from my Alocasia Silver Dragon that was a £5.49 rescue from Dobbies. She's got another shooting too so soon I'll be able to look at taking off the unhealthy leaves. I got a few corms when I repotted this one but they were pretty small so slow to grow.

We have alocasias in work again. They are nicer than the last bunch and only £5.99, I might take the plunge 😁

Lidl have lots of new plants at the moment. Saw aloe veras which I haven't seen before at my local.

Reactions: 2