Holly Gabrielle #8 If slow living why all the fast running?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I do feel sorry for her and glad she is making this decision.. but don't think for a second the video wasn't planned and was spontaneous. Everything she does is meticulously planned out in advance!

Reactions: 11
I've not watched the video to see if she has a specific career in mind, but i reckon with her wealthy middle class family, Dartford Grammar and Cambridge education and connection's she will probably somehow manage to walk straight into high paying consultancy type job.

Reactions: 2
I've not watched the video to see if she has a specific career in mind, but i reckon with her wealthy middle class family, Dartford Grammar and Cambridge education and connection's she will probably somehow manage to walk straight into high paying consultancy type job.
I’d like to think you’re wrong given she’s getting her first job at the grand old age of 26 but let’s be honest she’ll probably be fine.

If she got a job in cancer research of some type like she focused on her masters in then i would be pleased for her.

Reactions: 10
If she got a job in cancer research of some type like she focused on her masters in then i would be pleased for her.
You would need relevant technical experience for a lab based role, unless she is working for a charity doing social media for example.

Reactions: 5
I do think this will be a wake up call to her that YouTube experience doesn't equal 'real' experience. I think she'll probably be too selective at first and get rejected and take it badly.

Reactions: 10
I've not watched the video (and don't intend to lol) but does she say whether she's going to continue YouTube on the side? Or fully step away?

It's a numbers game and with little work experience I hope she realises she may not get the first role she applies for.

I am still kinda,of sceptical of the video though
and hope I'm wrong.

It's a numbers game and with little work experience I hope she realises she may not get the first role she applies for.

and hope I'm wrong.
I don't really see what there is to be sceptical about if I'm honest. We've all said her channel is losing views and is no longer a sustainable career path and now it's affecting her income, she'll have noticed that too. Her applying to jobs shouldn't really come as a surprise

I think she'll probably be fine in the job market. Yeah, the lack of experience may hurt her, but a lot of employers will see the top of her class in Cambridge and get swept up in that. I've seen it too many times; the Oxbridge sway is still very strong for a lot of employers (rightly or wrongly).

Reactions: 3

and hope I'm wrong.
Yeah granted I didn’t watch it all but she was already sounding pretty choosey about jobs when she may just need to get experience even in retail or very entry level positions.

Reactions: 4
I don't really see what there is to be sceptical about if I'm honest. We've all said her channel is losing views and is no longer a sustainable career path and now it's affecting her income, she'll have noticed that too. Her applying to jobs shouldn't really come as a surprise

I think she'll probably be fine in the job market. Yeah, the lack of experience may hurt her, but a lot of employers will see the top of her class in Cambridge and get swept up in that. I've seen it too many times; the Oxbridge sway is still very strong for a lot of employers (rightly or wrongly).
She is 3 or 4 years behind her peers though who will have graduated and applied for jobs. They will potentially be 3 or 4 years into those jobs. Education is mostly being taught to pass exams. It doesn’t prepare for a work environment even if it is Cambridge.

Reactions: 6
There are not a lot of entry-level positions open in stem right now. It's the first quarter of the year and budgets are tight for a lot of companies especially because a lot of companies overhired in the last two years. There may be a lot of ads or positions open on linkedin or job boards, but a lot of those positions are being snapped up by mid-level employees who cannot afford to wait and search for a higher paying mid level position, and then some positions are just mislabelled as entry level either because of incompetence or to get more views. She may be able to get a lab position where she essentially just handles samples and cleaning, but I doubt she'll be able to get a position on par with what she could have gotten if she had done some internships during uni or even got a job in the field after she graduated with her masters. It's been so long that she can't even ask for a meaningful recommendation letter from previous professors which is usually helpful for new grads because they usually lack proper work experience. The one thing Holly has going for her is that she can afford to be picky because even if her channel fails her parents seem to make enough that Holly can continue to live with them rent free

Reactions: 7
I do also feel bad for her because this is very mature but there is still a petty/pissy part of "I wish youtube would have understood that I was going to grow"... like, the audience or something is responsible for the fact that she's just making boring content, and that it's all fun when you're a student at CAMBRIDGE but nobody cares about someone who lives with her parents and doesn't have a job or do anything else than running. Ultimately, I would wish she'd also question whether it's not only that she needs a proper job but to also expand her life a little, socially, etc. She shouldn't be resentful that people stopped watching, it was not content. It's fine if what she discovers is that she doesn't like a more social/vibrant life, but she should at least make peace with the fact that if that is the case we have no reason to be interested. Literally everything is bland from the food to the constant planning of empty days, to the running; I watch other Youtubers whose life could be said to be monotonous, so it's not like I expect complete party animals who travel around the world. For instance I really like this student who does videos about what she cooks for herself, how to shop for groceries well when you're starting to cook for yourself, the challenges of looking for a job, etc. Vegan youtube is also still vibrant. I wish her the best but I have a sense she is in for some disappointment. By doing youtube full time she's given up the advantage she had right after graduating, so now she's behind and that would be fine if she was ready to accept any job and work until she gets experience and can climb a bit, but I have a feeling she's not aware of that part yet.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I do also feel bad for her because this is very mature but there is still a petty/pissy part of "I wish youtube would have understood that I was going to grow"... like, the audience or something is responsible for the fact that she's just making boring content, and that it's all fun when you're a student at CAMBRIDGE but nobody cares about someone who lives with her parents and doesn't have a job or do anything else than running. Ultimately, I would wish she'd also question whether it's not only that she needs a proper job but to also expand her life a little, socially, etc. She shouldn't be resentful that people stopped watching, it was not content. It's fine if what she discovers is that she doesn't like a more social/vibrant life, but she should at least make peace with the fact that if that is the case we have no reason to be interested. Literally everything is bland from the food to the constant planning of empty days, to the running; I watch other Youtubers whose life could be said to be monotonous, so it's not like I expect complete party animals who travel around the world. For instance I really like this student who does videos about what she cooks for herself, how to shop for groceries well when you're starting to cook for yourself, the challenges of looking for a job, etc. Vegan youtube is also still vibrant. I wish her the best but I have a sense she is in for some disappointment. By doing youtube full time she's given up the advantage she had right after graduating, so now she's behind and that would be fine if she was ready to accept any job and work until she gets experience and can climb a bit, but I have a feeling she's not aware of that part yet.
Tbh, I cared less that it was boring and more about the misinformation and misguided 'advice' Holly was dishing out last year. It was like she had sex and all of a sudden she thought that was what made her a real adult and therefore qualified to teach young women about contraception, menstruation, hygiene, etc when in reality a lot of the young girls watching her channel probably had more experience with those things than she did and she was spreading harmful messages.

Reactions: 13
I do also feel bad for her because this is very mature but there is still a petty/pissy part of "I wish youtube would have understood that I was going to grow"... like, the audience or something is responsible for the fact that she's just making boring content
Totally agree with you on this one. For the past 2 years youtube was her job. When you have a job, you expect results. Holly's results were not up to her standards. In any other job you would not blame it on the client but on the company not being able to capture demand. It's very resentful of her to say this sort of thing in her video.

I'm glad that she is looking for jobs because her life is pretty sad and lacks meaning. I highly doubt that she will need to go to "retail" or "work in a vegan shop", come on guys, she still has a quality degree. I do agree that she will probably need to go into entry level jobs / internt type jobs but that's what I expect she is looking at anyway. I think she will be choosy because she can afford to be, both financially and because she has a good academic background.

Reactions: 6
I can’t help but feel that some of this stems from perhaps having a rude awakening around housing. Even if Angelo was on a good wage, and even if Holly has some money for a deposit, the fact that she isn’t ‘working’ with a reliable, regular income will count against her when it comes to mortgages, especially if she also has student loans to pay. There’s a big difference between earning enough to live at home (presumably rent free, although with Holly’s parents I doubt that …) and go on holidays, than there is earning enough to pay a mortgage and bills and so on.

Plus Holly probably hasn’t got much of a credit record - it’s unlikely she is on any bills at home, even if she is contributing. It would be very challenging to go from that situation to being approved for a mortgage, even if she was buying with Angelo. She’d probably even find it hard to rent somewhere without having her parents as guarantors and paying rent in advance. Landlords don’t love freelancers and saying you‘re a YouTuber is probably enough to put a lot of landlords right off, especially in London where the market is so hot.

Reactions: 9
I'd be incredibly surprised if she's looking for a job in STEM. I'm predicting a job in media/influencing/brand management. To be fair, she did build a brand and has experience. I expect she'll keep her tutoring and do something different full time.

Reactions: 8
I'd be incredibly surprised if she's looking for a job in STEM. I'm predicting a job in media/influencing/brand management. To be fair, she did build a brand and has experience. I expect she'll keep her tutoring and do something different full time.
I agree, I don't ever see her in a 'normal' full time job as she has significant mental health issues with her eating disorder. Something more flexible would be required.

Reactions: 3
I can see her doing one of those social media jobs for cancer research as they are usually wfh and she does have those skills. She may have to remove some content though but I guess it will always be found!

Did she mention her tutoring at all? You think she could make quite a bit of money from that if she made it a full time gig.

It's so strange because I feel like us viewers are ahead of Holly in her own life. I remember when she kept touting that she was a business owner whenever someone would comment asking how Holly could afford to travel or live without a job and how just over a month ago she got mad when someone said she would sidebar youtube and maybe look for a job and now after all the sass in the Youtube comments here she is doing exactly what we said after pointing out that her channel has been flopping for months.

I agree that there's a strong possibility that Holly got a rude awakening when she started looking into the requirements for moving out. She probably did next to zero research before she filmed that video, and now she's realizing Youtube is temporary income and you can't retire or buy a home off of selling overpriced hoodies and overcharging to tutor students after you've been out of the world of academia for years.

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.