Holly Gabrielle #7 Studying, running, always ahead, but one trip to Spain and there's a boy in her bed

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Her new video is so weird. Why does she never explain why she's moving bedrooms? Why does she make such a big deal out of sleeping in a different room/double bed? Why is she obsessively anxious about how she slept? It's all so weird i can't lol

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Didn't they redo her room after she got back from Australia. And now she is about to travel again and they are buying her a new bed. Its so weird. It's like a Carrot keeps getting waved in front of her

Reactions: 13
Is this her mom or her sister talking? Either way, it was a bit harsh 💀

Attachments

Reactions: 1
Emily and her mum always sound like they're talking with their mouth full of water and don't want to let any slip out

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Didn't they redo her room after she got back from Australia. And now she is about to travel again and they are buying her a new bed. Its so weird. It's like a Carrot keeps getting waved in front of her
They are probably trying to keep her there. It's so weird and she slept in double beds when 'travelling ' so her reaction to getting one was a bit extreme lol.

Reactions: 4
i have mixed feelings for holly because she said that WFH 20h per week was taking most of her time when in the real world people have 40h per week jobs (or sometimes even more) and on top of that they have to deal with commuting, taking care of family members and many other responsibilities. however, she worked extremely hard in both cambridge and UCL, (probably studying +10h per day during her undergraduate) so i also think she deserves to have a job that only takes half of the working week if that's what she feels like

on the other hand, as many of you have said, she's very book smart and with her capabilities and her degrees she should have pursued a more academic o research related job, at least to 'pay off' all her hard work during her uni years. i understand that she gets a very nice and appealing income from youtube (probably a few times more than what she would get from working in a lab), but it breaks my heart to see her and many other brilliant students (such as simon clark, who even pursued a phd) become internet personalities. moreover, she opened her channel when she got accepted into cambridge, which, along with her excellent grades during her undergraduate made people hooked to her channel, as many viewers wanted to become so academically successful as her. but now, if she just keeps traveling and making (non stated lol) ads and sponsors to make ends meets, what is the appealing for that public that grew with her?

during one of her last videos, the one in which she cries about turning 25, she mentions that she's going to spend little to zero time at home next 2023 as things are going to change massively but first she has to sort them out properly. i'm unsure wether if she will become a digital nomad, traveling to different countries every few weeks, or if she's going to settle down in a city abroad for at least a year and learn about the language and culture (like anna lenks did). i think that second option would suit holly better, as it would be regarded as 'slow traveling' and wouldn't be against her ecology/vegan beliefs. maybe she wants to move her YT business to a country with very low tax rates so she can save more money? maybe that would explain why she has to organise and prepare so much for the next year. i don't know what to expect at this point!

Reactions: 10
She has a degree from Cambridge in natural sciences and a Masters from UCL in cancer studies. I cannot work out why she isn't using this for good and to help the world? Why doesn't she have a job in this field?

• Heart
Reactions: 22
She has a degree from Cambridge in natural sciences and a Masters from UCL in cancer studies. I cannot work out why she isn't using this for good and to help the world? Why doesn't she have a job in this field?
She has a deeply entrenched individualist mentality. She doesn’t want to help anyone
- doesn’t want to help people with her knowledge of cancer sciences
- only considered teaching in a private setting ( putting wage above any non-existent notions of making a difference to underprivileged students)
- Only tutors wealthy students and has acknowledged this
- Owns the labour of her tutors while she swans off around the world making money off their work.
-plasters her videos with disingenuous undeclared adverts / happy to promote products and services despite having no personal and honest convictions.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
T
She has a deeply entrenched individualist mentality. She doesn’t want to help anyone
- doesn’t want to help people with her knowledge of cancer sciences
- only considered teaching in a private setting ( putting wage above any non-existent notions of making a difference to underprivileged students)
- Only tutors wealthy students and has acknowledged this
- Owns the labour of her tutors while she swans off around the world making money off their work.
-plasters her videos with disingenuous undeclared adverts / happy to promote products and services despite having no personal and honest convictions.
I find it messed up having all that knowledge and just doing... nothing with it? Like what the duck was the point of even studying it?

• Heart
Reactions: 11
btw, i don't recall what video it was (perhaps the one in which she cries about turning 25) but definitely a recent one, in which she mentions that her idea and emily's when they were younger was to buy a house and live together for the rest of their lives, (which i think is one of those funny little promises you make with your best friend when you're children) but then emily started dating dan and holly was crushed and had to learn to accept emily's boyfriend

isn't that a bit weird? why doesn't holly realise that living forever with emily wasn't ever a realistic option??

i understand that holly has always looked up to her sister -emily was the first of the family to get into cambridge, to become vegan, and if i'm not mistaken, she partially fueled holly's ED and herself's because they used to compare how little calories they consumed in a day...maybe holly's looking forward to date people just because it's what her sister is doing too?

i think this attachment and dependency to her older sister is unhealthy for her

Reactions: 14
T

I find it messed up having all that knowledge and just doing... nothing with it? Like what the duck was the point of even studying it?
Because she found it interesting lmao?
Plenty of people get a degree and even a masters, and then end up working in a completely different field to what they studied at university.

Reactions: 8
Because she found it interesting lmao?
Plenty of people get a degree and even a masters, and then end up working in a completely different field to what they studied at university.
It's different studying something like Cancer Studies than studying say Classics or Lit. She could really use that to help people and to help the field - she came top of her class in Cambridge! I think if we have privilege, skill and knowledge like that its our moral duty to help other people.

Reactions: 5
It's different studying something like Cancer Studies than studying say Classics or Lit. She could really use that to help people and to help the field - she came top of her class in Cambridge! I think if we have privilege, skill and knowledge like that its our moral duty to help other people.
So if you study something and then later on change your mind and say, ‘hmm actually this isn’t for me, I want to take a different direction in life’, you’re somehow morally wrong? Ngl that is a bizarre way of thinking imo.

Reactions: 20
I’m assuming in a field like cancer research you really have to invest a lot of time into staying on top of latest developments. Has so much time now passed that she’s under-qualified for a role in the industry? In which case, she’s not likely to ever use her master’s degree as I believe she chose it purely to be academically number one again, rather than a passion for the subject. I think she’s quite debilitatingly afraid to fail and being self-employed is one way to ensure she’s always in control of her perceived success.

Reactions: 5
It would just be so good for her to have a normal job and develop real life skills, she's such a weird combination of socially isolated, academically high-flying, zero common sense and no life experience... would do her the world of good to knuckle down and work in a normal work setting with colleagues etc.

Holly also thinks that Fortnum & Mason is a jewellery brand ...

and i find the presents from her family really odd..

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
and i find the presents from her family really odd..
I do like that their presents are not over the top and something she needs or actually uses. It's nice to see someone get little inexpensive presents and be happy about it, rather than getting iphones and ipads or being upset for cheap gifts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I’m assuming in a field like cancer research you really have to invest a lot of time into staying on top of latest developments. Has so much time now passed that she’s under-qualified for a role in the industry?
To be honest, I think she's always been underqualified because she lacks experience. I'm not an expert, but I'm currently a final year undergraduate in a similar field looking to go into research. Most people at my stage who want to do research have already done research internship(s). At very minimum, you would at least opt to do a research project in your final year of university rather than a literature-based dissertation. AFAIK, Holly did neither of those things, even though she has a masters degree. Her only research experience seems to be her project during her masters degree, which in the scheme of things is relatively little. Choosing to do an MSc rather than an MRes (masters by research) did not help her in this aspect.

Most of the 'interesting' jobs in this area require you to have PhD. But to be competitive for a PhD with funding, you probably need a good amount of research experience and evidence of your dedication to this area. Tbh, I think it's hard to argue Holly has either. Jobs in industry research that don't require a PhD still require (sometimes years of) practical experience.

Clearly Holly is very, very academically intelligent, so if she really wants to go into cancer research I'm sure she will find a way. But as things stand she did the bare minimum of research to get her degrees, then hasn't really used them since. I doubt she's serious about cancer research. Personally, I can't see her ever becoming a researcher.

Reactions: 8
So if you study something and then later on change your mind and say, ‘hmm actually this isn’t for me, I want to take a different direction in life’, you’re somehow morally wrong? Ngl that is a bizarre way of thinking imo.
Omg are you even reading what I'm saying? I'm saying she specifically chose to study cancer, is clearly highly intelligent and passed with flying colours, so why the hell wouldn't she use that to help the field! Cancer research needs all the people like that it can get!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.