Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

hpprotego

Chatty Member
just confused why she feels the need to get herself so worked up over absolutely everything?

like the morning routine video, she says she’s anxious about not waking up to the 7:15 alarm..... but what’s the worst that could happen if she doesn’t? She doesn’t get a video filmed? It’s not like she has any lectures that morning. She gets herself so so worked up over stuff it’s so strange.

oh and then there’s hollys innate response to coffee. It annoys me now. Like we get it, you don’t drink coffee (or alcohol or eat animal products or have any semi-decent snacks or treats) but who gives a shit???? If you’re going to complain that much about having it then don’t have it??? Also, instant coffee is gonna be worse than anything else, so she’s putting herself through hell by not giving proper coffee a chance.

Reactions: 22
Who does a masters and/or a PHD just for shits and giggles?
Surely you’d only do it if you’re really passionate about the subject and research. Not just because you’re not sure what else to do with yourself.

she’s so lost

• Haha
  • Heart

Deeznutslol

VIP Member
*me suddenly having flashbacks to that video where Holly explained that you shouldn't eat olive oil because it's "empty calories" and "not a health food"*
LOOOOL that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. Why does she think she is qualified to speak on nutrition she clearly knows nothing about it, olive oil is one of the healthiest oils you could possibly consume. I understand she has an ED but she shouldn’t be spreading misinformation like that to her followers who may also have food issues smh

• Heart

hpprotego

Chatty Member
She’s clearly very insecure. She says she’s okay with having her life online and sharing things, but anyone makes a direct comment (mean or not) and she pounces on you and tears you down.

as someone said, all of hollys ‘I’m cured and completely fine, I’m doing amazing’ videos are usually a precursor to her unravelling and having one of her emotional blips.

She mentioned before about her and her family having ‘the talk’ once every few months about holly’s emotions once she got too overwhelmed with how she was feeling. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s still happening.

Holly clearly has emotion regulation issues- which is no doubt exacerbated by her eating disorder and hormone imbalances. The fact she can’t seem to be emotionally supportive of herself is worrying. She has to either rant to a camera about her problems (and then complains about how little of a personal life she has......), or has to collapse in a complete heap in front of her parents.

okay yes we all need emotional support, but by the age of 23 it’s sort of common for you to be able to support yourself through tricky times. She has no capability of being alone without falling back on her comforting behaviours (overworking and not eating well).

If she’s still not in therapy she damn well needs to be.

• Heart

teflonpanda

Chatty Member
Maybe she's just on edge cause she's scared of leaving uni. I mean, if that recent sit down video was any indication she's TERRIFIED of not being a student anymore - she went on for like ten minutes about how great this is, how excited she is, how well she's coping with the changes in her life, how she's overcome all her previous problems (like lack of socializing skills and overworking) on her own, how she's FINE now, how she's never felt so good..

Every time she's done a video like this in the past, talking about how great she's doing, it has actually been the opposite. Not just her infamous 'I cured my eating disorder by going vegan in the summer before going to Cambridge I'm fine now :)' video. Also e.g. during her first year at Cambridge she kept talking about how great she's doing emotionally, only to admit years later that she actually had homesickness issues that were so sever she had to get support from her College wellness team for it. Or when she did a video at the start of her Master's about how great she's feeling and how happy she is studying from home - only to later admit in that now-deleted 'Binge-eating oats' video that she was actually very unhappy during that time and that's why she "binged on oats".

I'm sure someone who has actually watched all her videos could add more examples, but anyway my Hot Take is that Holly's super scared of leaving uni and that's why she lashes out at people in the comments.

(Also that's kind of interesting since it seems to imply she won't be doing a PhD after all? But who knows)

hpprotego

Chatty Member
I'm in two minds whether I feel more sorry for her or her dad over asking him not to play trombone. I think if I had something important on, the noise would annoy me so I would probably ask family to be quiet too but does he play it all day long. Why was he disheartened/she dreading the convo 😂 An open book 24 hour exam sounds like a dream compared to traditional exams.
Her dad literally plays trombone for a living- it’s his job. So her asking him to stop playing is the equivalent of him asking Holly to stop tutoring. I understand noise is annoying, but when it’s your parents job, you learn to get over it. I live with 2 musician parents and all you have to do is put in some earplugs or noise cancelling headphones. Really not rocket science.

That’s the whole point of living with other people as well. Holly says she really enjoys being at home etc etc but I think it’s pretty obvious she’s still quite twitchy and stressy at home. She STILL spends all her time in her room (she has her masters studying to use as an excuse now though) and its clear she can’t respect people’s boundaries (walking into her sister room half shouting right before her sister has meetings, or blaring loud music while her dad is trying to work in his office). Idk. There’s just something off about Holly right now.

Reactions: 21

CatCafe234

VIP Member
She must be such a bitter person. I can't imagine living my life thinking that everything is a personal attack.
I wonder if she lacks reading comprehension skills as there really wasn’t anything critical there. Either that or for some reason she’s incredibly sensitive about her decision to stay at home for her Masters.

NotAnArtist

I’m just gonna say it’s no wonder her only offers were Wageningen and ucl
Those are great unis though. And at least for the BSc, part of the reason it only takes 3 years at European universities with a few exceptions) is that US students spend about a year ticking off general ed requirements that an IB or an equivalent diploma typically cover... as far as I know, the UK one year degrees also run for an actual calendar year, which the one year degrees in the NL wouldn't. (so the NL Masters would be worth 60 ECTS, but the British one might convert to slightly more)

In any case... we don't need to go there and act like Holly, or anyone, *should* be experiencing imposter syndrome. Some could certainly do with a bit of humility and need to recognize their privilege, but imposter syndrome can feel a surely paralyzing. The shame and anxiety never stop, and it just seeps into everything, from work/life balance and self-esteem, to body image and interpersonal relationships.

• Heart

judgingyourlife

One thing I noticed about Emily's video is that she didn't mention anything about her boyfriend other than that they ate the same food??? I didn't hear anything outside of the fact that they're both vegan, like the same foods, and both drink herbal tea. Lmao if I was describing my bf I'd be saying about how we had the same sense of humour or we had similar family values, etc, but hers is purely about food and it's so weird!!!

Then again, she doesn't seem to have a sense of humour at all, which is a large part of what is 'off' about their family tbh. Be a bit edgy and have a proper belly laugh, jesus christ. I'd die if I was in a relationship with her lol, where is the chaotic energy?

teflonpanda

Chatty Member
Oh dear. This just goes to prove my theory that Holly won't cope well at all with a long-term independent research project and unstructured time. It may not look like it but I think she actually has really bad work habits - she's ruled by perfectionism so she takes way too long to do things rather than going for the most efficient way. This combined with a lack of external structure and (probably) high ambitions for her research project grade is a recipe for trouble. And yes, taking a day off and then finding a way too indirectly 'punish' herself for it sounds very much like Holly.

It'll be interesting to see how she'll cope over the coming months. I hope I'm wrong actually

nissigossips

Just a reminder that Holly is a studytuber with a tutoring business.
Academics discussions are going to come up. That’s her niche.
There's true discussion centred around Holly, and then there's "3 long year degrees are awful and everyone who does one deserves imposter syndrome!", and I think you know which path you've gone down.

• Heart

hpprotego

Chatty Member
she’s built her brand around being at uni what makes her think she’ll be able to change it? People do change but has she ever thought she won’t be able to do YouTube forever?

she seems in total frustration about her views falling and is resorting to click bait titles like ‘I hate my life’ in order to engage people. She’s barely scratching the surface with how her mental health is. Stopping YouTube would be a good thing for her ffs.

• Heart

meweme

Not gonna lie, I actually like her earth Day Instagram photos quite a lot compared to what she usually posts. The outfit is nice, the photos are okay for once (although I don't see the need why you would need ten of them, but okay) and they have a genuinely nice 'vibe'.

(The hair and body is scary though.)
Okay. And then again there is this photo. How many red flags does one family need?

Attachments

• Sad
  • Wow

nissigossips

Tbh if she did then it would be like the unjaded jade thread currently that's ripping into her because she bought a new iPhone but preaches sustainability. What does irk me is when Holly blatantly asks for free stuff (the running shoes) when she's clearly got the money to pay.
It wasn't that she bought an iPhone, it was that she went through three phones in the space of a year.

And there are things Holly could buy which are sustainable. Holidays (outside of the pandemic). Running coaching. Virtual spin class membership. Even just a nice takeaway.

Did anyone else notice how Holly mom was watching her in the kitchen and commented on how Holly was eating PB out of the tub. I think she said something like: “you are not going to put that (the spoon) back in there, are you?”. I can’t help feeling that a lot of Hollys restrictive and rigid mindset might come from her mothers need for control.

CatCafe234

VIP Member
If she’s already doing as much studying as she says she does in her videos, and sticking to her routines, I cannot see why she would need to stay up all night to do more work? She already studies most of the time anyway.
and if she’s just doing it for a challenge, it seems really silly to mess up her sleep schedule and promote unhealthy habits just for a video.
Sometimes Holly’s videos feel like an alien trying to do what human students are supposed to do, to appear relatable. Honestly, if I were a student trying to balance my course, a job and living independently (which let’s face it, is what most post-grads have to do), then I think I’d find Holly pulling an all-nighter for the lols a bit insulting.

teflonpanda

Chatty Member
As anyone watched Emily's video talking about finding her 'vegan' boyfriend, I cant believe she is mid twenties she seems so immature and acts like its her first boyfriend in school
Is a 'vegan boyfriend' made out of soy instead of flesh? 🤔 *sorry I'll see myself out*

But yeah about Holly's video - it was so nice to see her have a nutritious breakfast for a change, with protein in it! Even though it was only cause she was following this routine which she clearly hated. Also I'd go crazy if I, at 23 years of age, was "not allowed to eat upstairs in the house" and had to face angry parents for not doing the washing up immediately after breakfast. Idk how she puts up with living in that house and then tells her viewers about how Truly Happy she is living at home and how she doesn't want to move out like?? why??

Also yeah the coffee think that was remarked upon already was a big throwback to Cambridge Holly devoting half a video to explaining how she "doesn't need to rely on stimulants like some other students do" because she is "eating a nutritious vegan diet that gives her all the energy she needs for studying". I'm paraphrasing but that actually was one of my first big WTF moments when watching Holly's videos.

• Haha

hpprotego

Chatty Member
Did this girl seriously just say she felt full because her abs were tight after a workout??!!!

Jesus Christ, you need to fuel yourself regardless of how full you’re ‘feeling’. Breakfast lunch and dinner full stop. If she’s that out of touch with her hunger cues that she just won’t eat and make excuses for it then that’s a huge red flag.

• Sad