Holidays #3 2023 & 2024

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve been to see the elephants in a sanctuary near khao lak national park. Was very ethical, I was able to help feed them and they were very cared for - I did lots of research about this before because I didn’t want to go somewhere where they were mistreated. It was an amazing experience :)

yeah it’s a long flight, we fly 14hrs today to Singapore from London and are doing a night in London before a one hour flight to Thailand and then another flight from Bangkok up to Chiang Rai. A lot of travel but that’s why we’ve spaced it out a little. The good thing with business class is you can lay your seat flat into a bed and you get so much space for yourself, get the headphones on, watch a series and before you know it there’s not that much longer left on the flight :) x

it’s a beautiful part of the world, there really is so much to see and the people make it for me :)
Yeah I've heard and read about some of the elephant sanctuaries not being up to standard and mistreating elephants. How do they get away with that?

Yeah business class sounds lovely. First class would be even better haha. My dream would be able to afford first class for every trip I make, that would be super luxurious. For me it's just the flight duration and airport process that is stressful. Apart from that travelling is great.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Can anyone recommend an area to stay in Amsterdam please or hotel recommendations?

Preferably central or easily walkable to the centre. Thank you

A friend of mine has just returned from staying at elephant hill sanctuary and did checks prior to going, there is another one ran by a local
Lady

Has anyone been to Madrid? I’m looking to go to the Pixar exhibit and explore Madrid a bit!

Has anyone been to Madrid? I’m looking to go to the Pixar exhibit and explore Madrid a bit!
Yes, I was underwhelmed tbh, other than the Prado and a wander about, it didn't feel like it was a city where there was really much to actually see and do. We combined it with a trio to Cordoba and much I preferred Cordoba.

Reactions: 2
Yes, I was underwhelmed tbh, other than the Prado and a wander about, it didn't feel like it was a city where there was really much to actually see and do. We combined it with a trio to Cordoba and much I preferred Cordoba.
Thank you! I’m mostly just wanting to go to see the Pixar exhibit anything else would be a bonus 😆

Thank you! I’m mostly just wanting to go to see the Pixar exhibit anything else would be a bonus 😆
I had the opposite experience and loved it there! I went in early December and wrote about it in this thread. Hoping to go back at some point to check out the Pixar exhibit and the Toledo and Segovia areas.

Just remembered to pop in and give you an update....

First off, our flight was delayed by 3 hours on the way there. But once we were past that, it was all good.

I thought Madrid was so lovely and was sad to come back to the boring (by comparison) UK! We ticked everything off our list (museums, Royal botanical gardens, seeing the palace, other tourist hotspots), and then some, within the first few days. It's a very walkable city, so we kept ending up in the same place 😅.

We used the Metro to get around. Was very impressed at how strong the phone signal is, even when deep underground.

If you get to go (which I hope you do!), I recommend going to San Miguel Market (or Mercado de San Miguel in Spanish), near Plaza Mayor, for food and drink.
I've found my new fave smoothie combination there which somehow tastes just like a Solero ice cream 😋

Can anyone recommend an area to stay in Amsterdam please or hotel recommendations?

Preferably central or easily walkable to the centre. Thank you
Recently been and stayed in the hotel mai. On the edge of china town/red light. Super quiet, very nice though if I went again I’d pay to upgrade to a canal view room for sure . 5mins walk from central station 👍

There is a beautiful park. It is called Parque del Retiro, beautiful place on a sunny day. El Rastro flea market is good if you are there on a Sunday

I’ve booked flights to take my teen daughter to Majorca for 4 nights next month. I was initially thinking Palma, won’t have a car so close to airport would be great & then we can bus around to places as we want to sightsee. Can anyone recommend either somewhere in Palma, or other locations possibly Peguera to stay in with hotel recommendations either, ideally with a pool 4* above but open to suggestions. please & thanks x

Can anyone recommend somewhere in Europe for December?

I want to take bf away for his December birthday. We have been to Iceland previously and loved that.

Somewhere there's lots to see, not bothered about it being cold.

My immediate ideas were Copenhagen, Krakow, Berlin or maybe Lapland.

Tia x

I want to take bf away for his December birthday. We have been to Iceland previously and loved that.

Tia x
How long for?

There isn't loads to see in Krakow unless you do trips to see the salt mine or Auschwitz. Unless he particularly wants to go Auschwitz would be heavy for a birthday trip.

Budapest is lovely and has great, cheap food (we ate Michelin-starred food for less than a chain restaurant here).

If you want snow I'd stick to Scandinavia.

How long for?

There isn't loads to see in Krakow unless you do trips to see the salt mine or Auschwitz. Unless he particularly wants to go Auschwitz would be heavy for a birthday trip.

Budapest is lovely and has great, cheap food (we ate Michelin-starred food for less than a chain restaurant here).

If you want snow I'd stick to Scandinavia.
Thanks! It would be 4/5 days.

Good point about Poland...his family is polish but maybe save for another time.

I will look at Budapest.

Do people use cash when abroad? Unsure if I'm wasting my time getting some if almost everywhere is card now.

(visiting Netherlands, Dublin, Austria and Germany at some point this year)

Do people use cash when abroad? Unsure if I'm wasting my time getting some if almost everywhere is card now.

There's no harm having at least some Euros, we probably always take around EUR100 in case we say end up in a cab or restaurant that doesn't take card or something. But for the most part, post-pandemic we've found ourselves coming home with a lot of it.

I mostly use Revolut and carry a bit of cash! We learned our lesson when the hotel in Amsterdam wanted a cash deposit and we had none so we had to find a cash machine which was quite far away from the hotel!

Germany in particular is more cash-based, even in Berlin. You'll find many smaller businesses prefer it. I used to live in the Netherlands and even 10 years' ago it was card all the way. Not been to Austria or Dublin for a while so hopefully someone else will be able to advise. I have a starling bank account and we just take money out of ATMs as needed when away - it was way more cost-effective than using credit cards (have just been away for 4 months travelling so I don't want all the fees from credit cards - for shorter trips I prefer to gather the airmiles)!

Germany in particular is more cash-based, even in Berlin. You'll find many smaller businesses prefer it. I used to live in the Netherlands and even 10 years' ago it was card all the way. Not been to Austria or Dublin for a while so hopefully someone else will be able to advise. I have a starling bank account and we just take money out of ATMs as needed when away - it was way more cost-effective than using credit cards (have just been away for 4 months travelling so I don't want all the fees from credit cards - for shorter trips I prefer to gather the airmiles)!
You wont need cash at all in Dublin - maybe if youre planning on taking the bus - been years since i took the bus, but other than that card will be perfect

Tia x
Cologne ?Gdansk ? Just ideas ..or Amsterdam