Holidays #3 2023 & 2024

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I haven't been but I know of it quite well. It's one of the biggest and busiest islands. Some people like that, some don't. It's good value for money and has quite a lot to do.
That’s what I quite like, the fact it’s not as quiet so I won’t get as bored as im not one to lie on a sun lounger all day. It looks stunning.

Which month are you planning to go? I was massively put off Turkey as our neighbours went last year in July when there was an extreme heatwave. It was mid-40s and above if I recall and even though they like the heat they found it too much. There was a big chunk of the afternoon where it was too hot to swim or do anything but sit in the air con.

The AI hotels do look nice there but May half term might be a more pleasant time to visit.
I was in Antalya last July. Yeah, it was baking but being in the pool(s) or sea was what gave people much needed relief.

Depends on what you can handle but we all coped fine in the heat - kids included.

Lisbon is great. We were in an Airbnb, can't remember where without looking. I'd recommend at least a night in Sintra, staying the night there means you beat the first trainload of people from Lisbon and so you'll get to see places like the Palacio de Pena (sp?) while it's quiet.
Hi just wondering..any recommendations on trainers/shoes?. Everyone keeps telling me to get comfy shoes for the streets 😂

I'm going to Thailand next week - can't wait, the days are literally dragging, really is my favourite place.
I haven't been to Ko Samet sadly so can't give any recommendations (I Know, super helpful!) but Thailand as a whole, is just one of those places everyone should visit. The people, the food, the culture, the sunsets, just an amazing place.
We fly to Phuket in April! First time there, so excited!

Reactions: 1
Me and my partner (both 28) are looking to go somewhere for 2 weeks in November, somewhere hot with nice beaches/adventure. We’ve done Thailand / Vietnam / Indonesia. Options at the moment look like the Philippines (but the long flight for 2 weeks seems a bit crazy) and Sri Lanka. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Me and my partner (both 28) are looking to go somewhere for 2 weeks in November, somewhere hot with nice beaches/adventure. We’ve done Thailand / Vietnam / Indonesia. Options at the moment look like the Philippines (but the long flight for 2 weeks seems a bit crazy) and Sri Lanka. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Jordan? A lot to do, but might not the be the beaches you want though and possibly may not be as hot as you’d like.
Malaysia? I’ve never been but someone I know loved it there. I was going to travel around Asia then Covid happened so it was on my list. I think the person I know said it was possibly her favourite place she went (this convo was a while ago now but definitely remember the recommendation). Pretty sure she said the Perhentians were the best place she went. Probably the same issue with the Philippines with the long flight though.
I went to the Philippines last year and would recommend it - I did go for three weeks though.

• Heart
Cuba, Seychelles, ?

Kerala / Goa

I'm off on Friday! The days are dragging. Thailand is literally my favourite place on earth. I can't wait for all the cocktails 😁 Are you staying in Phuket or travelling around?
Where else have you been in Thailand and enjoyed, and can recommend? I'm seriously looking at Thailand for later in the year. I'm just not fond of long haul flights whatsoever. I'm a nervous flyer. Once I'm there it's no problem at all. I've never been to Asia, let alone SE Asia.

• Heart
Where else have you been in Thailand and enjoyed, and can recommend? I'm seriously looking at Thailand for later in the year. I'm just not fond of long haul flights whatsoever. I'm a nervous flyer. Once I'm there it's no problem at all. I've never been to Asia, let alone SE Asia.
Khao Lak would be our usual place to go. It’s a beautiful part of Thailand with something for everyone. We went to the national park there and went down the river on bamboo rafts which was amazing, and would definitely recommend. Also did a sunset cruise which was breathtaking.
Khao Lak was one of the places badly hit by the tsunami so there’s lots of little memorials and museums which are worth a visit. Just hits home how horrible it was for them, The people are the nicest people on earth!
We’ve also went north and gone to Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai, for a little bit more of rural Thailand - really enjoyed this as it’s just a different way of life compared to your beach parts
Bangkok is fab for a night or two, again so much to see and do. Lebua state tower is amazing for the views.
Phuket is a bit more mental and wasn’t really for me although I did enjoy patong for the people watching lol
going to visit the islands this time, James Bond island and similan islands so I will let you know :)

there’s so much more of Thailand to see and do, every trip is different but honestly book it, you’ll love it.

if you’re in a position to do so, look into business travel for flying. It’s what we do because I’m an awful flyer and the long flight would really make me anxious in economy. I struggle to sleep on planes but with business class you’re a lot more comfortable so I can sleep easily and therefore the flight itself isn’t as stressful :)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I'm off on Friday! The days are dragging. Thailand is literally my favourite place on earth. I can't wait for all the cocktails 😁 Are you staying in Phuket or travelling around?
We are in 2 different hotels, but both on the west side of Phuket. We'll see the island but not travelling around as much as it's tough with 2 kids and we like a bit of luxury.

Bit concerned about the heat 😬

• Heart
We are in 2 different hotels, but both on the west side of Phuket. We'll see the island but not travelling around as much as it's tough with 2 kids and we like a bit of luxury.

Bit concerned about the heat 😬
You are just right! :) We tend to stay in the same place too and just opt for doing one or two day trips but the rest of the time just relax with cocktails.

I’m dreading that part of the day when you’ve got yourself ready and all lovely for the evening then step out of your air conditioned room into the heat 🥵 im a shade girl, and an air con girl ,Not one for the sun at all lol.

Seconding the Khao Lak recommendation. We went there a few years ago and loved it. So much to see and do. We did several day trips to James Bond island and a village on stilts, a trip to monkey temples, elephant sanctuary and a canoe river trip, visited the local tsunami museum. Stunning scenery and lovely people.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Khao Lak would be our usual place to go. It’s a beautiful part of Thailand with something for everyone. We went to the national park there and went down the river on bamboo rafts which was amazing, and would definitely recommend. Also did a sunset cruise which was breathtaking.
Khao Lak was one of the places badly hit by the tsunami so there’s lots of little memorials and museums which are worth a visit. Just hits home how horrible it was for them, The people are the nicest people on earth!
We’ve also went north and gone to Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai, for a little bit more of rural Thailand - really enjoyed this as it’s just a different way of life compared to your beach parts
Bangkok is fab for a night or two, again so much to see and do. Lebua state tower is amazing for the views.
Phuket is a bit more mental and wasn’t really for me although I did enjoy patong for the people watching lol
going to visit the islands this time, James Bond island and similan islands so I will let you know :)

there’s so much more of Thailand to see and do, every trip is different but honestly book it, you’ll love it.

if you’re in a position to do so, look into business travel for flying. It’s what we do because I’m an awful flyer and the long flight would really make me anxious in economy. I struggle to sleep on planes but with business class you’re a lot more comfortable so I can sleep easily and therefore the flight itself isn’t as stressful :)
Thank you for this. Chiang Mai and Rai have definitely been a consideration. I enjoy nature and want to see the Elephants. Also, I want to see the gibbons in the wild as they are some of my favourite animals lol and love the sounds they make. I've been looking at Krabi too, which I hear a lot of good things about.

It's funny you mention Phuket as the more research I've been doign on Thailand, more and more people have mentioned that Phuket just wasn't for them and there are other places in Thailand to see.

Khao Lak sounds good though. So many places in Thailand that it's difficult to pick where to go. For me it would be a 2 week trip most likely. I could potentially extend to 18 days and travel to other locations. I would like to see Bangkok just because I may as well as you fly into the airport there anyway.

I will look into business class. I am saving at the moment so if I can I may well opt for business. I haven't been on a long haul flight for about 10 years, so it's a little daunting. It's about 11 to 12 hours to Bangkok isn't it? One good thing about Thailand is once there it's quite cheap, right?
---
Seconding the Khao Lak recommendation. We went there a few years ago and loved it. So much to see and do. We did several day trips to James Bond island and a village on stilts, a trip to monkey temples, elephant sanctuary and a canoe river trip, visited the local tsunami museum. Stunning scenery and lovely people.
Thank you. I will definitely check those places out. Thailand seems to have so much to offer. Have you been to any other countries in SE Asia? If so, which other countries are similarly great to visit in the region?

Last edited:
  • Heart
@Whatamadworld, yes the flight to Phuket was around 11 hrs if I remember correctly. I did find the jet lag hard for the first couple of days so a bit more comfort on the flight should def help. Having said that, I hardly slept even when in first class when we flew to S Africa. I would say if you are sensitive to noise, a hoodie type neck rest with noise cancelling earplugs work surprisingly well. I’ve not been anywhere else in SE Asia and plan to go to Vietnam at some point and do it as a 2-3 week trip across the whole country.

Thank you for this. Chiang Mai and Rai have definitely been a consideration. I enjoy nature and want to see the Elephants. Also, I want to see the gibbons in the wild as they are some of my favourite animals lol and love the sounds they make. I've been looking at Krabi too, which I hear a lot of good things about.

It's funny you mention Phuket as the more research I've been doign on Thailand, more and more people have mentioned that Phuket just wasn't for them and there are other places in Thailand to see.

Khao Lak sounds good though. So many places in Thailand that it's difficult to pick where to go. For me it would be a 2 week trip most likely. I could potentially extend to 18 days and travel to other locations. I would like to see Bangkok just because I may as well as you fly into the airport there anyway.

I will look into business class. I am saving at the moment so if I can I may well opt for business. I haven't been on a long haul flight for about 10 years, so it's a little daunting. It's about 11 to 12 hours to Bangkok isn't it? One good thing about Thailand is once there it's quite cheap, right?
---

Thank you. I will definitely check those places out. Thailand seems to have so much to offer. Have you been to any other countries in SE Asia? If so, which other countries are similarly great to visit in the region?
I’ve been to see the elephants in a sanctuary near khao lak national park. Was very ethical, I was able to help feed them and they were very cared for - I did lots of research about this before because I didn’t want to go somewhere where they were mistreated. It was an amazing experience :)

yeah it’s a long flight, we fly 14hrs today to Singapore from London and are doing a night in London before a one hour flight to Thailand and then another flight from Bangkok up to Chiang Rai. A lot of travel but that’s why we’ve spaced it out a little. The good thing with business class is you can lay your seat flat into a bed and you get so much space for yourself, get the headphones on, watch a series and before you know it there’s not that much longer left on the flight :) x

it’s a beautiful part of the world, there really is so much to see and the people make it for me :)

Reactions: 3

---

I've been to Koh Samui (twice) and Koh Phangan ....both beautiful islands - although Koh Phangan is probably more well known for its full moon parties! However we stayed in a beautiful hotel in much quieter NE of Island which was reached by speedboat- felt very James Bond as we arrived at the beach!
we took a boat trip to the Marine National Park off the coast of Koh Samui and went snorkelling and also climbed to lookout point to see emerald lake - absolutely stunning scenery and wildlife
Younger daughter has traveled extensively in SE Asia ( she now lives in Bali) and loved Vietnam and Cambodia
There are so many amazing Indonesian islands to visit if you fancy another trip!....fly to Bali but then explore some of the smaller islands nearby