Holidays #3 2023 & 2024

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I asked about Venice a while back but had no responses - going to give it one more shot as i go there in about 8 weeks!

Any recommendations for Venice? Im there for 2 days so dont think I have enough tine for Murano/Burano. Any food recommendations, bearing in mind I dont eat seafood?
Have you got any favourite films that might have used Venice as a location? Maybe scout out some of those?

Cicchetti - like tapas - might get lucky and find some that don't have a seafood slant. Being a sea town, Venice is going to feature seafood heavily.

I did a quick Google and found this round-up

My parents always say I could join them on their holiday. I’m tempted. But it’ll mean putting my cats in a cattery. Also not sure if it’s worth it, it’ll be a 5-6hour train for 4 full days

My parents always say I could join them on their holiday. I’m tempted. But it’ll mean putting my cats in a cattery. Also not sure if it’s worth it, it’ll be a 5-6hour train for 4 full days
Could you get someone in to check on your cats instead? The journey doesn't sound too bad.

Could you get someone in to check on your cats instead? The journey doesn't sound too bad.
Maybe but I think I’d rather put them in the cattery. My mum usually would be the one that looks after them. I might be able to get an extra day off so I’d have an extra day there, although I think they usually come home the day before they are due to. They camp so usually leave Thursday afternoon but pay for the Thursday night so they don’t have to rush in the morning that are due to be off the site. I’ll speak to my dad this week 🤔

Going to Lanzarote in February, advice on what clothes to pack?

Will dresses, trainers and a denim jacket suffice in the evenings?

I asked about Venice a while back but had no responses - going to give it one more shot as i go there in about 8 weeks!

Any recommendations for Venice? Im there for 2 days so dont think I have enough tine for Murano/Burano. Any food recommendations, bearing in mind I dont eat seafood?
We ate in a place called Al Timon in Cannaregio. You will need to book a table as it is tiny (we asked the concierge). They have about 6 tables and you may end up sharing. The food was absolutely incredible. One of the best meals of my life.

Reactions: 1

Cichetti bars in Venice are great. Avoiding seafood shouldn't be too difficult.

We found a cichetti bar. 2 Prosecco and a Pinot for €8. That was back in 2016 though
We visited in 2021 and founds a good few cheap still. Around 3 or 4 euros for 2 glasses of wine (sparkling or white usually I had). The wine is so good as well.

What site is best to book uk train tickets?

I usually use Trainline but I read on Twitter it’s more expensive but now I can’t find the post to find out where is best to book.
I don’t mind using Trainline usually as a lot of the time I just don’t but a ticket but for longer journeys I want to buy the cheapest

I usually use Trainline but I read on Twitter it’s more expensive but now I can’t find the post to find out where is best to book.
I don’t mind using Trainline usually as a lot of the time I just don’t but a ticket but for longer journeys I want to buy the cheapest
I usually go direct with the train line itself. Trainline have a booking fee but booking direct often doesn't (at least on my line it doesn't).

Reactions: 2
I’m full of snotty cold and dreaming of sunshine. I’ve been to Rome four times and would love a long weekend in the summer in Italy. Any recommendations for any of the other cities, Florence, Milan etc.

Don't rule out Murano/Burano. We've been twice on a cruise so only spent a day there. First time we did Lido, St Marks Square/Rialto bridge and Murano, second time we did Burano and the cemetery. Burano in particular is stunning and so much quieter than Venice itself. Also had plenty of time for a wander both times.

• Heart
Yes. Murano is only a 10 minute water taxi to Venice. We stayed in a gorgeous hotel on Murano which was much cheaper than Venice would have been and we just got a water taxi over every morning. Not a lot to see in Murano but nice to kill a couple of hours.

I’m full of snotty cold and dreaming of sunshine. I’ve been to Rome four times and would love a long weekend in the summer in Italy. Any recommendations for any of the other cities, Florence, Milan etc.
It’s less touristy than some of the others but I would really recommend Bologna. It’s beautiful, compact so easy to get around, the people there are so lovely and most importantly it’s the foodie heart of Italy.

Florence is also nice, I was not bothered with Milan at all compared with the others, it’s nowhere near as charming and I feel like you can see all the nice bits in an afternoon. Let me know if you have any questions 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 2

I use tickety split

Can anyone help me with Turkey please?

We want to go this summer- 2 kids so hoping to stay in one of the hotels with water slides and we will go AI and unlikely to leave the hotel. Any recommendations?

Can anyone help me with Turkey please?

We want to go this summer- 2 kids so hoping to stay in one of the hotels with water slides and we will go AI and unlikely to leave the hotel. Any recommendations?
Which month are you planning to go? I was massively put off Turkey as our neighbours went last year in July when there was an extreme heatwave. It was mid-40s and above if I recall and even though they like the heat they found it too much. There was a big chunk of the afternoon where it was too hot to swim or do anything but sit in the air con.

The AI hotels do look nice there but May half term might be a more pleasant time to visit.