Holidays #3 2023 & 2024

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Where are you staying?. I'm doing florence-garda-venice in June and just booked garda Airbnb last night!
We're staying in Malcesine, Hotel Pelèr. Looks to be fairly close to the centre so easy walking distance to the ferries and restaurants! I would love to do a trip like yours, we've been to both Florence and Venice but only on day trips from a cruise. Debating a day trip to Venice from Lake Garda but I think it's probably a bit far, and we'll save Venice for it's own trip another time!

Off the Menorca on Friday. This holiday is from 2022. The hotel that we booked originally had closed down suddenly and we were given the option to change or rebook a completely Different holiday destination which we did.
It’s an easyJet holiday package which we’ve never done before.
Hope it works out ok.

Reactions: 1
We're staying in Malcesine, Hotel Pelèr. Looks to be fairly close to the centre so easy walking distance to the ferries and restaurants! I would love to do a trip like yours, we've been to both Florence and Venice but only on day trips from a cruise. Debating a day trip to Venice from Lake Garda but I think it's probably a bit far, and we'll save Venice for it's own trip another time!
Ah that sounds lovely. We are staying in an air BnB given we will need a washing machine halfway through our trip!. I have planned visiting sirmoine, malcesine, Limon sul garda and doing the cycle route from garda - lazise. Hoping to also rent a kayak/Sup too!

For what it’s worth, we did a day trip from Garda to Venice by train, while we there, and loved it.
I’ll never forget the wow moment when we emerged from the station and saw the view in front of us 😂
I’d love to go back to Lake Garda - loved it!
Have a lovely trip :)

Ah that sounds lovely. We are staying in an air BnB given we will need a washing machine halfway through our trip!. I have planned visiting sirmoine, malcesine, Limon sul garda and doing the cycle route from garda - lazise. Hoping to also rent a kayak/Sup too!
Ooh I've always wanted to try SUP! Wonder if I'll get chance to have a go? Always been terrified of falling in the water but I've been having swimming lessons so I'm not as worried about falling in and going under🤣
For what it’s worth, we did a day trip from Garda to Venice by train, while we there, and loved it.
I’ll never forget the wow moment when we emerged from the station and saw the view in front of us 😂
I’d love to go back to Lake Garda - loved it!
Have a lovely trip :)
Ooh that's an option I suppose! I know my OH would much prefer a train to a coach! Venice is stunning❤

Ooh I've always wanted to try SUP! Wonder if I'll get chance to have a go? Always been terrified of falling in the water but I've been having swimming lessons so I'm not as worried about falling in and going under🤣

Ooh that's an option I suppose! I know my OH would much prefer a train to a coach! Venice is stunning❤

Don't worry you can always sit or kneel on it! Apparently there are lots of rentals all around the lake. Worth it I think for an hour or two.

I'm looking for some fun and delicious food recommendations for Edinburgh. In particular love local cuisine with specific dishes to try

Try Malta but tbh I wouldn’t let a few people put you off going to touristy places. As with anything the media blows it out of proportion and locals depend in tourists
Another vote for Malta, my parents had a holiday home there for years, we loved it.

But adeje a good option also.

We visited Verona and Milan when we stayed in lake Garda. Loved Verona, wasn’t that keen on Milan. It was absolutely boiling on the day we went and I remember us standing close to all the fountains to get the spray😀

Loved LG though. Has anyone been to Lake Como? That’s on my list.
---
I'm looking for some fun and delicious food recommendations for Edinburgh. In particular love local cuisine with specific dishes to try
Not casual dining, but if you’re looking for a more formal meal, then try the Witchery.
It’s near the castle, and an Edinburgh institution. Been twice, and it’s a really nice experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I've never had a deep fried mars bar and would quite like to try! 😂 Is it something you can easily get in the city centre?

What exactly is a 'pizza supper'? In NI when we say supper its like a 'sausage supper' which just means sausage and chips
---

Oh we were planning to go here so good to hear you'd recommend!
I'm Scottish and never had a deep fried mars bar in my life 🤮
A pizza supper is pizza and chips from the chippy (pizza crunch supper is a battered pizza and chips)

Yes defo highly recommend the pipers rest, both the steak pie and haggis are my favourites!

Loved LG though. Has anyone been to Lake Como? That’s on my list.
I've been to Como! It was beautiful! I preferred it to Lake Garda for several reasons. We could hop on and off boats and cross the lake really easily, there was more of a buzz where we stayed than where we stayed in Garda (probably my fault for failing on the proper research front) and finally, down to luck, we had much better weather on our trip to Como. Last year in Garda we had rain and fog :ROFLMAO: some days we couldn't see across the lake, and the day we went up into the hills there was zero visibility.

I'm going to Thailand next year. We are going for 14 nights staying in Phuket. I'm planning on going to an island nearby for a few nights in the middle. Any close by that people recommend?
We've been to Koh PhiPhi before, I loved it there and would go back but not sure whether to try elsewhere, maybe Koh Lanta??
I would definitely recommend Khao Lak too, it is about an hour from Phuket so not far. We are going back in January of next year and its probably our 6th or 7th time so I think that speaks volumes for what kind of place it is - its just such a nice place.
---
I've never had a deep fried mars bar and would quite like to try! 😂 Is it something you can easily get in the city centre?

What exactly is a 'pizza supper'? In NI when we say supper its like a 'sausage supper' which just means sausage and chips
---

Oh we were planning to go here so good to hear you'd recommend!
You can get deep fried mars bars here in NI, I saw it on a menu in the chippy a while back but the thought absolutely makes me want to boke lol.

• Haha
Not casual dining, but if you’re looking for a more formal meal, then try the Witchery.
It’s near the castle, and an Edinburgh institution. Been twice, and it’s a really nice experience.
I second this! ❤
Lovely historic building and good food.
I had lovely wee dram after the meal too 😂

Any recommendations for Belfast, Galway or Dublin? Irish road trip incoming at the end of the month! Also any random recommendations around the north/west of Ireland, we'll be covering quite a bit of ground so any tips or places to visit appreciated too 😊

Any recommendations for Belfast, Galway or Dublin? Irish road trip incoming at the end of the month! Also any random recommendations around the north/west of Ireland, we'll be covering quite a bit of ground so any tips or places to visit appreciated too 😊
Belfast girlie here :)

Belfast is a great city to explore, its small enough that you can walk around it and there is plenty to do and see.
Cathedral Quarter is great for the craic and drinks, usually some live music on and bars all pretty much beside each other.
Some of my faves around there are Duke of York (really traditional), The National, Harp Bar & 39 Gordon street.
There is also a big food market over there called Common Market. A couple of other markets are Trade Market and St Georges Market (only open Fridays - Sunday I believe) but they do a Belfast Bap which will put you into a food coma lol. So good though!
I would recommend going to the top of the Grand Central hotel to the observatory for some views over Belfast in all directions.
The tour buses are a bit of a rip off at £25pp but they are a good way to take in the city and hop off and back on again.
The black taxi tours are decent too for a bit of a more personal tour.
Food wise - Deanes Meat locker, Top Blade, Zen, Dumpling Library, Millars, Fish City are all very good, I really like Villa Italia for cheap and cheerful pasta. Morning Star is good for pub grub, Kellys is good for their homemade stew and Fountain Lane do an unreal carvery on a Sunday :)
I have heard mixed reports about the Titanic museum in the past couple of years, I went many years ago and wasn't mad about it but I'm sure they have added to it and improved it since I went.
Some other little bars I like are the Deer's Head, they have their own small brewery on site, Kellys Cellars - traditional!, Hell Cat Maggies for views over city hall :)

I would also definitely recommend the North Coast, you can do the coastal route from Belfast and it is worth it, there is a view point up along there called Magheracross viewing point and it is stunning. Gorgeous wee part of the world with plenty of places to pull the car in, enjoy a wee pint and some local food and take in the views. There really is quite a few places you could stop, I've always liked Bushmills - small wee village with bloody good guinness and you can take in the bushmills tour while there if that is your thing,
Portrush/Portstewart are very popular and can get quite busy but I love it there -
Glenariff is such a lovely place to stop off in,
But really the whole route is signposted so you can stay on the coastal route and you can't go wrong :)

PS, for Dublin, there is a place called Elephant & Castle and the chicken wings.... I would die for them. So good.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Belfast girlie here :)

Belfast is a great city to explore, its small enough that you can walk around it and there is plenty to do and see.
Cathedral Quarter is great for the craic and drinks, usually some live music on and bars all pretty much beside each other.
Some of my faves around there are Duke of York (really traditional), The National, Harp Bar & 39 Gordon street.
There is also a big food market over there called Common Market. A couple of other markets are Trade Market and St Georges Market (only open Fridays - Sunday I believe) but they do a Belfast Bap which will put you into a food coma lol. So good though!
I would recommend going to the top of the Grand Central hotel to the observatory for some views over Belfast in all directions.
The tour buses are a bit of a rip off at £25pp but they are a good way to take in the city and hop off and back on again.
The black taxi tours are decent too for a bit of a more personal tour.
Food wise - Deanes Meat locker, Top Blade, Zen, Dumpling Library, Millars, Fish City are all very good, I really like Villa Italia for cheap and cheerful pasta. Morning Star is good for pub grub, Kellys is good for their homemade stew and Fountain Lane do an unreal carvery on a Sunday :)
I have heard mixed reports about the Titanic museum in the past couple of years, I went many years ago and wasn't mad about it but I'm sure they have added to it and improved it since I went.
Some other little bars I like are the Deer's Head, they have their own small brewery on site, Kellys Cellars - traditional!, Hell Cat Maggies for views over city hall :)

I would also definitely recommend the North Coast, you can do the coastal route from Belfast and it is worth it, there is a view point up along there called Magheracross viewing point and it is stunning. Gorgeous wee part of the world with plenty of places to pull the car in, enjoy a wee pint and some local food and take in the views. There really is quite a few places you could stop, I've always liked Bushmills - small wee village with bloody good guinness and you can take in the bushmills tour while there if that is your thing,
Portrush/Portstewart are very popular and can get quite busy but I love it there -
Glenariff is such a lovely place to stop off in,
But really the whole route is signposted so you can stay on the coastal route and you can't go wrong :)

PS, for Dublin, there is a place called Elephant & Castle and the chicken wings.... I would die for them. So good.
Elephant and Castle chicken wings are soo good!

Talk to me about Krakow people, Im thinking of bookung a weekend break there!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.