Holidays #3 2023 & 2024

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We’ve got three nights in Havana and four on the beach in Varadero. I know the hotels and food is going to be a bit meh but I don’t care, just so excited to see Havana 😆

Is there anything you’d recommend in particular! Either to do or avoid would be helpful ☺
So Varadero is the most westernised place in Cuba so will be most similar to places in Mexico/Dom Rep etc but the hotels are not the same standard. There are often food shortages and technology failures (thanks US embargo!). As long as you go understanding everything is rough around the edges. I think people go expecting the same standard as other places and end up disappointed.

In Havana which hotel are you staying in? I really recommend taking a walking tour. We learnt so much and got taken to cool little places we otherwise would have missed. Try the street food. It's so cheap and delicious. If you want the best food go to the local restaurants that are often run out of people's houses or businesses. A lot are government run and although they have a wider variety of food, the best is through the local ones. People are so friendly and want to learn about other countries so people will come up and talk to you. Be wary though, there are a lot of scams. Don't follow anybody or let anyone do favours, they will want paying or take you to a scam. Just be polite, say no and move on. Of course many are just friendly and curious, but you can't tell the difference. If you do a guided tour, the guide will tell you how to spot a scammer. The Malecon comes alive at sunset if you want a cool vibe. There's music and food on every corner. I loved that place.

Just ask if any more questions.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
It was over 3 years ago I stayed at Wemyss Bay and I was really keen to do a day trip to Arran but I saw the frequent ferry cancellations and it was too big a risk to go over and then get stuck on the island with no accommodation esp with a toddler at the time. I know we might have found something as an emergency but you just don’t want that kind of hassle on holiday. It was some sort of recurring technical issue. I can’t believe it’s still so unreliable. It’s very unfair on the islanders.
Did you manage to take a day trip to the Isle of Bute ❤? if you ever do its worth taking the car over and touring the island Mount Stuart is amazing love the private chapel its made of white marble and alabaster, when the sun is shining in it, its deffo a wow moment

Has anyone been to Side, Turkey? We are looking to go in March this year. Hotels look amazing and there seems to be a good mix of things to do/see or opportunity to just stay at hotel and relax. Shortlisted to Arum Barut collection hotel and Royal Palace hotel and spa. (It’s a big big birthday for me this year so we wanted to splash out a little). Just wondered if anyone had visited side of the hotels and had any thoughts? X

Did you manage to take a day trip to the Isle of Bute ❤? if you ever do its worth taking the car over and touring the island Mount Stuart is amazing love the private chapel its made of white marble and alabaster, when the sun is shining in it, its deffo a wow moment
Yes I did and I loved it! We went to Scalpsie bay and saw sooooo many seals by the shore, just lazing on rocks or swimming about, it was incredible. And it was a beautiful day too, stunning views of Arran from there.

We did tour about but more to beaches so didn’t get chance for Mount Stuart. I’d definitely visit Bute again though.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Has anyone been to Side, Turkey? We are looking to go in March this year. Hotels look amazing and there seems to be a good mix of things to do/see or opportunity to just stay at hotel and relax. Shortlisted to Arum Barut collection hotel and Royal Palace hotel and spa. (It’s a big big birthday for me this year so we wanted to splash out a little). Just wondered if anyone had visited side of the hotels and had any thoughts? X
Haven’t been the arum but have been to other Barut hotels (hemera and Lara beach) and loved them. Side is a lovely place to go and visit.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Can anyone recommend a decent hotel in a centralish location in London? Ideally hoping to keep it around £150 per night. Looking at visiting in April
What do you mean decent? Somewhere clean and safe for sleeping or somewhere you plan on spending some time? Do you want facilities?

Haven’t been the arum but have been to other Barut hotels (hemera and Lara beach) and loved them. Side is a lovely place to go and visit.
Looking to go here too 3 older teens looking at Pegasus world hotel never been to Turkey .

Thank you! I did google it but nothing really came up. This site did but the baggage fees 🤯 it didn’t include baggage so to add you had to use the additional baggage section
IMG_5518.png

Anyone have a good recommendation where I can go first week of April - looking for somewhere I can chill but maybe spend a couple of days exploring? Would be good if the temp at her is high!
Thanks

Went to Side last summer. The beach was 2 mins away, shops a 5 min walk away, frommout hotel. Lovely place.

Anyone have a good recommendation where I can go first week of April - looking for somewhere I can chill but maybe spend a couple of days exploring? Would be good if the temp at her is high!
Thanks
I always say Lisbon but I've heard Malta is great too that time of the year

Is there anywhere you can pay for flights monthly rather than in one payment?
If you book BA on the “Ba holidays” page rather than the flights page and book a package you can pay a deposit. The “package” just needs to include one other element, which you may or may not need, such as a rental car. We did that, we needed the rental car anyway, and it worked out about the same price plus we didn’t have to pay all at once.

Anyone recommendations for Croatia? Am thinking of doing 2 weeks in May possibly in a Eurocamp or similar. It sounds pleasant and family friendly but to be honest I know nothing about the country!

If you book BA on the “Ba holidays” page rather than the flights page and book a package you can pay a deposit. The “package” just needs to include one other element, which you may or may not need, such as a rental car. We did that, we needed the rental car anyway, and it worked out about the same price plus we didn’t have to pay all at once.
Great thank you I’ll have a look

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.