Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Just saying Europe is boring is quite ignorant and snob. Especially when you basically plan beach holidays in the Caribbean.
Btw Cancun is completely artificial, just created for (US) tourists from the scratch. Tulum is beautiful and has more (ancient) history and nice views.
Personally, I loved Puerto Escondido in the Oaxaca coast (Pacific), quite touristy but very different vibe from the Caribbean coast and much cheaper. It was long time ago, I don't know if it has changed. Nice people, amazing food. I had a great time in Oaxaca city and surroundings too before but it's quite far by the road (many hours).
Oh and in this part of the Pacific, the water was surprisingly hotter than in any place I've been in the Caribbean (Cuba, Dominican Republic, Colombia, Los Roques islands in Venezuela...)

I think a lot of you need to relax on this thread. There is no need to call me a snob and ignorant. If I don’t want to go to Europe, I don’t want to go to Europe . It is really that simple. If I say “I find Europe boring and I have also enjoyed holidays in Europe” that is my opinion and my experience. You do not need to be offended and personally attacked. You are rude as hell.

that is totally fine about Cancun, I’m still planning whether I actually want to go there, or just Tulum and explore places in Mexico.

i also didn’t plan to just do “beach holidays” for my 30th. Whether I went to St Lucia for the body holiday or Mexico, or wherever else I decide I was going to fully explore and enjoy the holiday and not just sit on the beach.
And if I did decide to that, and still said I find Europe boring then so be it. Relax

@BettyCrockerr you know I like you from the MraMeldrum thread but I really don’t understand why you are so condescending on this thread?

I can totally understand finding Europe boring if you have seen multiple countries already. Certain climates/faunas you just don’t get here and especially for a big trip I can totally see why someone would want to go further away.
That being said @heygirlhey2022 I’d pick Mexico as those activities sound super fun plus I love the food there
hey hey, thanks.It was very condescending, and that’s why I chose not to respond.
Totally agree with everything else you said, re: MEXiCO, still exploring my options. I’m going to extend it to at least 10 days, and I might leave Cancun out and instead do Playa de Carmen (although I’ve heard mixed things), might go to Cozumel for a few nights on my way to Tulum, and also there are other places that have been suggested and I’ve comes across from my research that I’m thinking of incorporating.
I’m really excited to visit tulum, it’s absolutely stunning and I’ve heard great things.
Might do Cancun/Playa de C x Cozumel x Tulum depending

we’ll see!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4

Thetruth123

VIP Member
Holidays are way to expensive now and I think it’s discusting what companies are charging ! At least nearly double up what I paid 2 years ago ….some 3-4 times the price ….I’m surprised so many families are financially able to go …. I honestly love a holiday but I can’t justify the price and seeing all the chaos at airports now just sends shivers down my spine …. I’m really hoping next year - year after prices start coming back down 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

SpindleWhorl

VIP Member
i love northern ireland 😍 one of the most beautiful places i've been to.
we're thinking galway!
Yes I went last Summer for a long weekend, would definitely go back and I'd like to go to Derry as well. Not to mention how sexy the accent is on men :love:

• Haha
  • Heart

mcfeez

VIP Member
I’m hoping to visit New York 2 weeks from today, and I’ve booked hotel/flights. I was just wondering if there’s anything else I need to book? I read something about needing a visa or ETSA? I’m not sure if that’s correct though. I’m only going for 5 nights, would I still have to apply for a visa/ETSA?

If anyone could help me, I’d really appreciate it!💞 I’m just so lost and confused with what documents I need to get and bring with me. As far as I know, I only need to take a supervised lateral flow test 24 hours before arriving in NYC. Do I need to get a passenger locator form aswell? (I’m fully vaccinated but not sure if there has been any new restrictions recently). If anyone who has traveled to New York or America in the past couple weeks/months could offer some advice, I would be so grateful. Thank you! x
Your test only needs done the day before, not 24 hours.

You always need an ESTA for travel to the US. It is often recommended you apply for this before booking any travel however most are approved within 72 hours of application (in my personal experience more quickly than this).

Shinythings

VIP Member
I think it is (or was) just for USA citizens (or so I heard), certainly not Europeans (at least not EU citizens at all) and probably not even Canadians as Cuba has been one of their favourites holidays destination for decades now.
Nope, applies to everyone annoyingly! Although looks like as long as you visited before January 12 2021 you don't need a Visa, just an ESTA. After that date, you need a Visa. So basically you have to pay more and have an interview at the US embassy. Hopefully it gets lifted soon and this won't be necessary for much longer.

• Sad

mcfeez

VIP Member
Any recommendations of things to do in Edinburgh? Or food places? Going in summer. Things that don’t include much walking as one of the people I’m going with can’t walk far
The hop on hop off bus tour in Edinburgh is good and takes you around the main attractions while giving a great outlook of the city.

Mooordgirl

VIP Member
Where is nice and warm in November but not a really long flight? Thanks 😊
Canaries are a handy option for heat and a relatively short flight that time of year. Good for those on a budget too

Dubai - another option, far more expenisve

Qwerty12345678910

Narrowed down my options.
Has anyone been to Pamukkale and/or cappadocia in turkey, are they worth visiting?
Can’t decide between turkey or the Philippines but really the time of the year I want to go turkey would be best. I could change the timing but June would work best for me with work.
Just came back from Cappadocia - the most breathtaking experience riding in a hot air balloon. Defo recommend. Would suggest tying it up with Istanbul as you fly via there to Cappdocia!

• Heart

aimz_yeah

Chatty Member
No, I’m not, but I don’t know what the vibe will be like in London given it’s a sad historic event in the UK. I’m not looking to cancel out of “sadness”. It’s more related to the atmosphere over there.
I was out and about today (on holiday in London). Plenty of people about just doing their normal, restaurants etc still busy. But lots of people heading towards the palace.

I wouldn't necessarily cancel, I think there will still be plenty of people (including tourists) going about as normal. But getting about may become more difficult as it nears the funeral and I imagine it will be even busier than normal

Lucie1001

Chatty Member
Got sorrento Italy booked for a week in June and 4 nights in Lisbon in august. Hoping to sneak a few nights in Dubai in March but won’t book until last minute. Really wanted to go to Caribbean last week as usually go away the first week in January but didn’t want to travel with the pre departure test.. which they have just got rid off!… so went to Scotland instead lol

Miss polar

VIP Member
Great thread! Got quite a few plans for this year. So far, we’re going to Dublin for a few nights in February, and a week in Greece in May.

Also plan for a European city break in September.- maybe Lisbon or Madrid. We’re also looking at Spain or canaries in either March or June for a week. Have easyjet vouchers to use, and got some Airbnb vouchers for Christmas presents, so that particular holiday will be very cheap.
We will take the van away for weekends here and therein the UK during the summer, when we get good weather
Has everyone realised we’re getting an extra bank holiday this year!!
wr’ll definitely be taking advantage of that, and planning a long weekend away somewhere outside of the uk😀

• Heart

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
This week went to Petra by night and then the next day went to Petra in the day time. Amazing, even better than I thought it would be on pics

Anyone been affected by TUI recently?

They’ve cancelled hundreds of flights, cancelled full package holidays when passengers are already at the airport waiting to board.

My flight to Spain was cancelled last week, but was able to fly out the next day. Received £350 pp compensation.

Strong feeling they’re going to go into administration soon:(

Welshgal

VIP Member
My dad just tested positive and even though he‘s not traveling with us I still live with him. Absolutely terrified now 😭

• Sad
  • Heart

mcfeez

VIP Member
Thinking of a few days in Belfast over the summer. Anything worth doing / seeing?
Belfast is good for a short city break. As many have recommended, the Giants Causeway is the most popular tourist attraction in general in N.Ireland so that is worth doing if you want to leave the city.

Many tourists do the black cab tours which go round many of the murals in Belfast. I've heard from others they are meant to be very informative and interesting! The bus tour is also good. There is also the Titanic Museum and Crumlin Road Gaol which are popular attractions.

Belfast has a good selection of restaurants and bars, many with live music, particularly on the weekends and a nice local market which opens on the weekends too. There are also local food and drinks tours which are meant to be great.

• Heart

hakunamatata11111

Going to Italy next week - flying to Rome for two nights, coach to Florence for one night and then a coach to Milan and planning to go to Lake Como for a day too. Sooo excited!! Any recommendations?

Also going to Boston at the end of August to meet my online best friend of 2 years for the first time!! I am however panicking because our flight from Manchester-Dublin is supposed to arrive at 9.05 but always seems to be delayed by an hour or even more, and our flight to Boston is at 11.35. Worried we won’t have time between flights for immigration clearance, we will only have cabin baggage though which helps I guess.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3

mcfeez

VIP Member
Same here! I absolutely hate the liquids rule but I found that some airlines will now offer to check in a bag up to 12kg instead of carrying it on. So you could do that for the flight and don‘t worry about the liquids but then don‘t have to worry about the space on the train.
This is good advice and it's what we did for our Italy trip. Checked in one hand luggage size case.

noseybirdxo

VIP Member
I have booked Madrid for my boyfriends birthday for the end of April. So if anyone has any recommendations then please send them my way 😄 It’s meant to be around 18-20 degrees that time of year so fingers crossed.

I’ve seen that Easyjet have today dropped masks too for their flights.

Has anyone been to Spain recently? Seems like I don’t need a test but gov website suggests we could be asked to test after landing

• Heart