Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Dot_Cotton

Chatty Member
We booked a holiday to Rhodes for this summer. I am very excited as we haven’t been on holiday for a couple of years, but covid and testing uncertainty makes me nervous. Hopefully in the summer it will be better!

Reactions: 3

ginandlipstick

For hotels there are a range of prices - what sort of budget would you have in mind? For example if your going luxury, The Merchant is beautiful and in a great spot in the city centre. In terms of more mid range the Clayton or Maldron are popular, and just round the corner from city hall. There are budget options too all in great central spots; Premier Inn I'd recommend for the budget option. Restaurants would depend on £££ and what you like to eat.

Sights in Belfast - St Georges Market is great and has lots of food options too. Titanic Museum, Ulster Museum (which is free!), the taxi tours are very popular with tourists. Lots of people do day trips from Belfast up to the north coast to see the Giants Causeway.

In terms of time - a weekend is fine for a city break of Belfast but theres definitely plenty to see in terms of NI and even parts of ROI if you spend a week.
This is probably the wrong answer - but there isn't a solid budget in place. My boyfriend and I have basically decided to put money into a separate bank account to save up for holidays etc. It's just knowing how much to save up. We've just got back from Edinburgh and I think I've been bit by the holiday bug :LOL: .

Thank you so much for your recommendations!

soymilk

VIP Member
I’m just about to book Bergen in Norway for a weekend in may! I’m so excited, always wanted to go to Norway, I’m just hoping putin doesn’t put a spanner in the works 🤦‍♀️
I'd love to go to Norway, it's in my top 5 places I want to visit! v jealous of you haha🙃

• Heart

veryfondoftea

VIP Member
Currently thinking about a week in Scotland. But part of me isn't sure, just in case (I'm in England) the restrictions change.
We have just booked our week to Scotland for August, also really hopeful that the restrictions don't change.

• Heart

rivermonster

VIP Member
Anybody interested in Vietnam - it is the best long haul place ever - honestly, Our first time was 1990 on a Thomas Cook Rail Tour which was wonderful.
We have had a 3 month visa for the last 8 years in Vietnam and spent time all over the country. Love it, (We have not been able to go for the last 2 years but it now opening up)

Last edited:
  • Heart

Sarah123456789

Chatty Member
Hi! I’ve just come back from NYC and yes, everything you say is correct! You need an Esta (which has your location on as well) and the supervised test the day before…really easy, did ours via FaceTime.
Happy to help with anything, so jealous, we FINALLY got to take the kids and it was amazing!

MrsBsDayOff

VIP Member
Where would you recommend for just a nice hot chilled holiday?
Is cappadocia the place with all the hot air balloons cos that is on my list 😍😍😍
I liked Kusadasi, it's your typical resort town with bars and waterparks, but there's a bit to do in the area too - various archeological sites the main one being Ephesus, we did a tour to a cute mountain village too (it was near Selcuk...name escaping me right now). My in laws were in Bodrum and loved it too.

Cappadocia is the place with the hot air balloons, I want to stay in a cave hotel, looks gorgeous.

• Heart

soymilk

VIP Member
for anyone thinking of going to Rome, the first Sunday of every month you can visit loads of things for free including the Coliseum. I went to a v small place near there for lunch called Fuorinorma and it was simple but delicious and cheap!
La Fraschetta is really good for pizza and is in a cool neighbourhood 'Trastevera'.
Location wise if you like walking you could stay anywhere and be within a 30 mins walk of everything!
If you want to visit the sistine Chapel you'll probably have to book tickets in advance 🇮🇹🍕💚

• Heart

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
Now they cancelled my flight 😭 still have my flight from manchetser from Istanbul but they’ve cancelled my Istanbul to Amman flight
Ok turns out they hadn’t it was just them saying it was cancelled due to the flight time change but they hadn’t put the new flight on it. Phoned up flightcatchers who told me it was just to the time change. I questioned only have 40min layover so they offered me an earlier flight so now I have a 1.5 hour layover which I’m hoping will be ok!

SpindleWhorl

VIP Member
How does everyone book their holidays? My holiday booking knowledge doesn’t go beyond TUI/Virgin lol
Normally just book a cancellable hotel on booking.com and then the flights separately. I've never booked a package holiday though obviously they work for some people

Notorious PIG

Going to Berlin in May! Let's hope they let us in!
Just a heads up, bring a supply of medical grade masks because here in Germany they do not allow us to wear cloth masks. This goes for shops, restaurants, places of interest, public transport, offices, any public indoor place. Also applies to some outdoor events.

Also, in some states it’s even stricter, where it has to be the n95 (the muzzle type mask) only, and they may extend this nationwide, so you may have to bring a supply of these (they’re available here but you don’t really want to waste time sourcing masks while you’re on vacation).

Businesses and restaurants operate on a ‘g’ system, 2g, 3g or 2g+, which tells you who needs what in terms of vaccinations/test results in order to enter. Exceptions are grocery stores and pharmacies who don’t check vaccine status as they are essential services.

Scroll down a little and it shows you what all the g’s mean.

Milktray

VIP Member
Orlando and West Palm Beach in August for us.
This is our rescheduled holiday from 2020 so hoping it all goes ahead.

• Heart

mcfeez

VIP Member
Thanks so much for the replies! It’s £29 pp - which I don’t think is bad at all. We thought it would help with the current airport chaos?
That sounds totally worthwhile to me. You could easily spend that in the airport restaurants anyway with a meal and some drinks.

Patsy Stone

Chatty Member
Anyone have any advice?
We had flights booked for the end of October with RyanAir. Logged in to their website for check in and it said the flights had been cancelled. Followed their website instructions to either refund or change the flights free of charge. So we changed the flights and it made us pay £320 so we paid thinking it won’t get charged or we’d get it back. But now they are saying because we didn’t receive an email to say they were cancelled the charges apply, even though when logged into the website it said they got cancelled and we could change them for free.
Speaking from my past experience in the travel industry free of charge usually means no admin fees are charged but you are still liable to pay any price difference

Qwerty12345678910

Would you say it was too hot when you went? Not sure whether to book in May, June or July. Was it just Cappadocia you went to? Or did you go other places as well?
We did Istanbul and cappadocia , but a lot of others were tying the trips in with Antalya, bodrum and pamukalke (spelling?).

i found july to be very hot, would suggest going end of May or kune.

I think a lot of you need to relax on this thread. There is no need to call me a snob and ignorant. If I don’t want to go to Europe, I don’t want to go to Europe . It is really that simple. If I say “I find Europe boring and I have also enjoyed holidays in Europe” that is my opinion and my experience. You do not need to be offended and personally attacked. You are rude as hell.

that is totally fine about Cancun, I’m still planning whether I actually want to go there, or just Tulum and explore places in Mexico.

i also didn’t plan to just do “beach holidays” for my 30th. Whether I went to St Lucia for the body holiday or Mexico, or wherever else I decide I was going to fully explore and enjoy the holiday and not just sit on the beach.
And if I did decide to that, and still said I find Europe boring then so be it. Relax

hey hey, thanks.It was very condescending, and that’s why I chose not to respond.
Totally agree with everything else you said, re: MEXiCO, still exploring my options. I’m going to extend it to at least 10 days, and I might leave Cancun out and instead do Playa de Carmen (although I’ve heard mixed things), might go to Cozumel for a few nights on my way to Tulum, and also there are other places that have been suggested and I’ve comes across from my research that I’m thinking of incorporating.
I’m really excited to visit tulum, it’s absolutely stunning and I’ve heard great things.
Might do Cancun/Playa de C x Cozumel x Tulum depending

we’ll see!
I’ve done St Lucia and was amazing. We spent a week there, and explored the whole country. There is so much to do and would recommend. Just don’t go during hurricane season!
Mexico is on my list - would love to do Mexico City, Oaxaca and cancun!

• Heart