Heartstopper - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How on earth is he supposed to play a school kid looking like that?!

Not gona lie, it kinda looks like his head is super imposed on his body 😂

Reactions: 3
Season 2 was filmed a while ago so he'll not look like this but I think he'll struggle to visually fit in with the rest of the cast from Season 3 onwards, he's bulked up way too much for someone of that age. He was already a bit older looking anyway, I know plenty of guys 5 years older than him who look younger than he does.

How on earth is he supposed to play a school kid looking like that?!

Not gona lie, it kinda looks like his head is super imposed on his body 😂
that school uniform is going to be bursting at the seams 🤣

he and joe locke looked age appropriate and real in season 1 (and season 2 based on filming) but the difference between them is going to be ridiculous from season 3.

Interestingly in the video he also explains that he received lots of criticism when he was cast because he wasn't big enough as the graphic novels Nick is a big sporty built guy

Also don't forget he is 6th form, so it's not uncommon for guys into sport and gym to look like that at that age. Pubity helps excellerate gym gains.Also those pics are good lighting and a pump which make a big difference for photos.

Interestingly in the video he also explains that he received lots of criticism when he was cast because he wasn't big enough as the graphic novels Nick is a big sporty built guy

Also don't forget he is 6th form, so it's not uncommon for guys into sport and gym to look like that at that age. Pubity helps excellerate gym gains.Also those pics are good lighting and a pump.
none of the rugby boys in my college looked like that (sadly for me 🤣)

nick IS much bigger (and drawn as really a mountain of a guy) in the novels so you’re right. kit looked pretty realistically like a teenage rugby player to me, but i get that he was also smaller than the book version. based on these photos alone, i do think he will really stand out amongst the rest of the cast though. we’ll see!

none of the rugby boys in my college looked like that (sadly for me 🤣)

nick IS much bigger (and drawn as really a mountain of a guy) in the novels so you’re right. kit looked pretty realistically like a teenage rugby player to me, but i get that he was also smaller than the book version. based on these photos alone, i do think he will really stand out amongst the rest of the cast though. we’ll see!
Honestly in the video he doesn't look that big, and recent pics in clothes he looks OK. He has been looking like this for a while

I absolutely adore Kit Connor's acting in Heartstopper, he is a lovely Nick. But I always feel a bit sad for poor Joe Locke, who's constantly overlocked (not to mentioned, mocked and harassed by "fans" of the series) while Kit wins awards left and right. The entire show wouldnt work if Joe wasn't truly great as Charlie. Just my opinion of course :) Kit is the fan favorite, but I don't think that Heartstopper is The Nick Nelson Show.

Reactions: 5
I absolutely adore Kit Connor's acting in Heartstopper, he is a lovely Nick. But I always feel a bit sad for poor Joe Locke, who's constantly overlocked (not to mentioned, mocked and harassed by "fans" of the series) while Kit wins awards left and right. The entire show wouldnt work if Joe wasn't truly great as Charlie. Just my opinion of course :) Kit is the fan favorite, but I don't think that Heartstopper is The Nick Nelson Show.
I’m not surprised by this. I don’t follow any fan stuff (for anything) but it usually is that the ‘camp/openly gay’ one isn’t seen as talented and it’s those more ‘manly/straight’ one (I know he came out as bi) that are because they’re ‘acting more’. All complete rubbish but it’s another way I think gay people aren’t respected

Reactions: 2
Kit did have to pay a price for being the more popular as it led to the speculation and he was clearly very upset at feeling like he'd been forced out.

Reactions: 1
Kit did have to pay a price for being the more popular as it led to the speculation and he was clearly very upset at feeling like he'd been forced out.
Oh I know, I think they've both paid a price for the show's popularity and forcing Kit to come out was the ugliest fandom moment I had seen in a long time. I was merely talking about Joe being overlooked in favor of Kit (which always happens, even when talking about how he's overlooked haha).

And yes @unidentified I know exactly what you mean and I agree.

As sweet and lovely as Heartstopper is and the whole cast seem to be some of the loveliest people you could hope to meet. The fandom is toxic as duck. It's vile. It's nasty. It's just horrible.

Reactions: 6
Oh the flip side there is a whole section of the gay community that aren't camp/openly gay/make it a personalty trait and there is very little representation for that. Modern media heavily prioritises gay people being camp/loud and proud/big characters etc only. Some of the most judgemental comments I've had have actually come from the gay community (you shouldnt like this, read that etc etc). I wish I had someone like Nick on screen when I was younger.

That said, I don't actually think Joe/Charlie is that camp/out there. He is more shy and insecure. His journey is much less than nicks. Charlie just wants a bf, Nicks whole life changes and that is a bigger challenge and also more endearing as a viewer.

Also, for those struggling with sexuality, or attracted to both and not feeling they belong in any label/box (again something modern society seems obsessed with) it was refreshing to see Nicks struggle and not just go 'Oh I'm gay'.

Oh wow this was outstanding. So well written, directed and acted. For once from Netflix it didn't feel preachy or the message shoehorned in. You don't even need to be a teenager to find it believable and relatable.

Praying for a second season.
Cant wait for the new series, wish they would hurry up

Oh the flip side there is a whole section of the gay community that aren't camp/openly gay/make it a personalty trait and there is very little representation for that. Modern media heavily prioritises gay people being camp/loud and proud/big characters etc only. Some of the most judgemental comments I've had have actually come from the gay community (you shouldnt like this, read that etc etc). I wish I had someone like Nick on screen when I was younger.

That said, I don't actually think Joe/Charlie is that camp/out there. He is more shy and insecure. His journey is much less than nicks. Charlie just wants a bf, Nicks whole life changes and that is a bigger challenge and also more endearing as a viewer.

Also, for those struggling with sexuality, or attracted to both and not feeling they belong in any label/box (again something modern society seems obsessed with) it was refreshing to see Nicks struggle and not just go 'Oh I'm gay'.
Feel like that's a bit of an over-simplification of Charlie's storyline in season 1, while he struggled with assault, two boys who didn't want to be seen with him as boyfriends in public, clear beginnings of an eating disorder, friendship issues and thoughts of killing himself. But that's what I see a lot, Charlie's problems aren't really seen as such by many viewers, because they can only relate to Nick struggling with his sexuality. Or maybe Charlie's issues are too much and Nick's seem more grounded, especially for young viewers?

Feel like that's a bit of an over-simplification of Charlie's storyline in season 1, while he struggled with assault, two boys who didn't want to be seen with him as boyfriends in public, clear beginnings of an eating disorder, friendship issues and thoughts of killing himself. But that's what I see a lot, Charlie's problems aren't really seen as such by many viewers, because they can only relate to Nick struggling with his sexuality. Or maybe Charlie's issues are too much and Nick's seem more grounded, especially for young viewers?
True, but some of that is standard teen stuff (friendship issues) bf/gf embarrassed by dating (happens to straight people too).

I don't remember suicide thoughts, need to rewatch it. I also wouldnt say the eating disorder being obvious but know its coming from people who have read books. I think next series may spin it round and he has more of the journey.