Grackle #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been watching Grace since early lockdown and generally love her videos, although there was a period where I found them a bit over the top (but then again, I'm in my mid-thirties, so not the audience). I fully respect her choice not to reveal private stuff about her life but I feel like this "half in, half out" is making for weirdly flat, personality-less videos in the last six months or so. I've seen some people say it's a running out of content thing (I do miss all the early lockdown themed stuff) but I think it's more that it's so limiting to pretend to be talking about your life without actually revealing anything. I'm not saying we would need details about her relationships or her family etc but she's so guarded about even vague things (ie, possible future plans, her activities beyond Starbucks and grocery shopping, heck, even the details of being a YouTuber/influencer ) that it makes it harder to connect with her. Even someone like Taz is far more open. I get the impression that it's not necessarily even a privacy issue, just trying to broaden her appeal as much as possible, and maybe compensate for potentially polarizing things, like being religious. .She was one of the first vloggers I got into and it was because she was original, quirky, and so much of her personality came through on her earlier vlogs, most of which have been made private.

Before anyone jumps on me, yes, I understand she now has a lot of followers now and yes, I get that she doesn't owe us anything. But I honestly would be surprised if she doesn't wrap up in the next year or so.

I think the issue is that Grace doesn't have the material to make exclusively non-vloging videos - ie, she doesn't have too full of a life. She lives at home, doesn't work outside of YouTube, and hasn't really shared any hopes or dreams (beyond being able to travel a bit more). I do think her efforts to conceal details about her life are partially about privacy (ie, her boyfriend) but I think a large part of it is trying to have as broad of an appeal as possible. I can't blame her for being cautious, she got really big really fast, but I think the "half online, half not" has to be very intentional to be done well.
Exactly this, the only way you can really keep your personal life out of a channel is if the channel has another theme, whether that be cooking, money saving, fishing..whatever but her channel is just based on her

Reactions: 6
Did anyone watch her newest vlog? I get that they're supposed to be chill but I think we've reached peak chill.

Reactions: 2
Can’t believe she made a video trying the different toasting abilities on an air fryer thing (yet again) and how golden they become.. getting gassed when the dark setting didn’t make the toast dark. Honestly her content has became so dreary and boring, Opening up with her life even a little bit more, being more real, showing different aspects of her life such as maybe what it was like starting dating at 24 would really pick her channel up, even if she doesn’t want to show ~him~ she could still talk about it.. but it seems she wants to be stuck doing the same content forever. She has a problem with always sticking to her same routine, she can’t even cut her hair a few inches or colour it slightly lighter without having a panic.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Can’t believe she made a video trying the different toasting abilities on an air fryer thing (yet again) and how golden they become.. getting gassed when the dark setting didn’t make the toast dark. Honestly her content has became so dreary and boring, Opening up with her life even a little bit more, being more real, showing different aspects of her life such as maybe what it was like starting dating at 24 would really pick her channel up, even if she doesn’t want to show ~him~ she could still talk about it.. but it seems she wants to be stuck doing the same content forever. She has a problem with always sticking to her same routine, she can’t even cut her hair a few inches or colour it slightly lighter without having a panic.
I completely agree I also think her parents never really pushed them out of their comfort zones as children which is what’s made them to be this way. For example I’m sure grace said before but growing up tv was only allowed on Fridays, they went to the same place every summer and was in a pretty fixed routine which has clearly affected grace now as an adult as she doesn’t like change or doing new things.

But I don’t understand why she’s so afraid of trying to new hair, makeup and even clothes when she was a literal model?

Reactions: 12
I agree about them not seeming pushed by their parents. Both parents are teachers, her sister is a teacher and at least pre-pandemic Grace volunteered in a school. It's just a small example of how they seem 'bubbled'.

I agree, I'm desperate for her to overhaul her content and just do SOMETHING. Even when she travels all the videos are carbon copies - show room, get food, go for a walk, watch a rom com, hug that bloody bear and repeat.

I really like Grace, I'm only a few years older than her but I cannot relate to her at all. I have a whole house to clean, a job to go to 5 days a week, a partner, a range of social activities (not just food shopping) whereas I watch Grace and she... Cooks dinner for the fam, cleans her room and goes to the supermarket...

Reactions: 17
I was watching a video of Graces yesterday and I’m passing she mentioned her dad living in America I think? She’s also mentioned him living in the Philippines. Her dad has obviously lived a life and I’m sure he would encourage Grace to do the same. I had my first daughter at 16 (11 years ago!) I was a single parent from the start but I worked my arse off and I now live away from the UK I’ve had a good job and am now retraining as something completely different at university and I’m married with another daughter, I also lived away from my partner for almost two years. I hope Grace manages to achieve everything she wants to in life (I have a soft spot for her I dunno why haha) whether that be alone or with her new boyfriend. I’m not saying she should get pregnant straight away or married etc but what I’m trying to say is, having a baby or getting married doesn’t limit your life. She could still go and live in New York with her partner or long distance. She can still travel the world or pursue career aspirations with kids, it’s not the end of your life when you have children, it just makes life a little more…busy 😂
that sounds like he was a missionary.

Reactions: 8
I just saw this video and could only think about the food waste. Often when she does taste tests (eg Lidl bakery) she has one bite and that’s it. So much food waste. I think she’s generally and genuinely a lovely person but I think she’s got stuck and muddled about how to live online as she matures and doesn’t want her whole life on display.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
that sounds like he was a missionary.
100% he was a missionary, this is what I thought when it was mentioned before, this is why I find the religious aspect of her family kind of “extreme” and a bit cult like

Reactions: 10
100% he was a missionary, this is what I thought when it was mentioned before, this is why I find the religious aspect of her family kind of “extreme” and a bit cult like
If that’s the case I’m surprised they haven’t made Jesse do a mission yet? I don’t know I guess we can’t assume as Jesse is fairly private

Reactions: 1
I always assumed with his teaching it was more of a TEFL situation with her dad. Is the confirmed?

I always assumed with his teaching it was more of a TEFL situation with her dad. Is the confirmed?
I’m not sure why but I always had the impression it was missionary, I teach elf and it is pretty unusual to go to the Philippines to teach for a non religious reason

I always got the impression her dad was a child when he lived in America, I wonder if his parents were missionaries

I always got the impression her dad was a child when he lived in America, I wonder if his parents were missionaries
It was my impression he went as an older teen. Maybe like a church youth/young adult exchange? It's not uncommon for young people to go somewhere to train to be a missionary before they go out, and America seems like the place where that would happen.

It was my impression he went as an older teen. Maybe like a church youth/young adult exchange? It's not uncommon for young people to go somewhere to train to be a missionary before they go out, and America seems like the place where that would happen.
The church my family went to had a scheme like this, and connections with groups around the world, and they ran religious colleges (as in, anyone of any age but mostly 18-19 year olds can go and learn about the bible and only the bible, not like a church school where you get the regular curriculum and the bible stuff is extra). In their summer term, they'd go out all over the world to church hubs, stay with locals, and do community work. Sounded to me like this is something he did.

As for Jesse, they accept you at any age, so maybe he did what I did, tell my family I'd go after I got my degree, the whoopsie daisy, I got married and I can't possibly leave my husband, and then what do you know, I'm pregnant, can't go now.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Do you think Grace would ever go on a missionary?
I recently read an article that a lot of missionaries come home with severe depression. Truly hope she won't go. I also don't think she can stay away from home/family that long.

Do you think Grace would ever go on a missionary?
I recently read an article that a lot of missionaries come home with severe depression. Truly hope she won't go. I also don't think she can stay away from home/family that long.
I don't think she would. Jesse and her sister (whose name I suddenly can't remember lol) don't seem to have gone on missions, and they're less of a thing with the younger generation who are quite aware of the issues with 'voluntourism' and all that.

Reactions: 4
I don't think she would. Jesse and her sister (whose name I suddenly can't remember lol) don't seem to have gone on missions, and they're less of a thing with the younger generation who are quite aware of the issues with 'voluntourism' and all that.
I don't think it's much of a thing anymore,. It used to be an opportunity to travel, people would use it like a gap year. The people I know from church who do still go come from very specific families, where the parents are vicars or other roles within the church for actual work. As much as the Booth family do feel quite insular, they do have actual jobs and let their kids go get degrees and other jobs, and when you show people they have other options, missions are not as appealing. They might take up opportunities to be sunday school teachers or run local youth groups instead (this is what I did), and this seems to be what Grace was doing?

Reactions: 6
I see a festive Instagram post that Grace made as a carousel (the first one was her as an elf) in December has been deleted/archived. Does anyone remember what photos were in the set that would cause her to delete them?

Iirc, she posted them the day Zoe Sugg mentioned Grace on her insta story.

I see a festive Instagram post that Grace made as a carousel (the first one was her as an elf) in December has been deleted/archived. Does anyone remember what photos were in the set that would cause her to delete them?

Iirc, she posted them the day Zoe Sugg mentioned Grace on her insta story.
Hm strange, I honestly can't remember. I wonder why she deleted it? She's not uploading much either right? Her latest video was so boring. I'm so close to unsubscribing but doing so would make me feel like telling I don't like her, which is so not the truth. It makes me feel so guilty because she's so cute.

Reactions: 3