Grace Beverley #7 Grace Bentley; committed to misunderstanding covid

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
55 short videos long incoming with her saying I had to come on here and say this just to clear some things up and start using a bunch of words that she thinks make her look clever/sustainability jargon that makes no sense and how it's somehow all of the customer's fault and that her team are crying from being bullied by people pointing out valid criticism and disappointment with the brand
ending with something like #bekind

• Haha
Reactions: 11
That is what I thought, but with so manay people here disagreeing I wanted to see what other people thought too. This is what I found:

The politically incorrect term that you may be thinking of is "oriental" or "the orient", which comes from oriens, the Latin word for "East". This term is sensitive at best and has been phased out of modern English usage. Best not to use it. But "Far East" is fine, as is "the West" to describe the Americas.
The Far East is like one degree off "the Orient" honestly. It's definitely been used to even mould what people typically think of as "Asia" with the "Middle East". Putting aside the fact that even these definitions are highly problematic, moulding entire regions into one is worse. When Far East as a term is used, it's done purposefully to indicate something that is really different in ways that are not conceivable to or non-existent in "the West" and these kinds of notions come from colonialism. The Orient is directly a term from colonialism that denotes Middle East, Africa, and Asia and "the Far East" gives off similar vibes if that makes sense.

But if it helps you guys to understand, a lot of my Asian friends have said "the Far East" and even "the Orient" aren't offensive terms to them but it comes more from a perspective of "these things are so stupid why should we let it offend us". But they do come from colonial notions so why I'd say it's really offensive. Like others have said, I believe that anyone who has been educated or intelligent should just avoid using them.

Westerners not understanding why that usage is offensive doesn't surprise me because it doesn't affect them. It's along the same exact lines of how using the Buddha as an ornament (ie in your bathroom or garden) and having bars like "Buddha Bar" is really offensive to us Buddhists from Asia but Westerners can't understand why it's offensive, but that conversation is for another day.

Reactions: 22

Tala are doing a sale, bamboo cutlery anyone? 🤪 its made in Hong Kong! Sorry I mean shanghai... ah whatever, all those ‘far eastern’ countries are the same, amiright tala girls!
#itscooltobekind 😋

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28

Tala are doing a sale, bamboo cutlery anyone? 🤪 its made in Hong Kong! Sorry I mean shanghai... ah whatever, all those ‘far eastern’ countries are the same, amiright tala girls!
#itscooltobekind 😋
Lol I’d love to find the statement they made a while back explaining why TALA never does sales. They claimed things like their profit margins are too small, they have to ensure their workers are paid a fair living wage etc. As we all predicted, with time TALA will behave more and more like any other fast fashion company, because ultimately that’s what they are.

Their staff need to realise that tacking the word “sustainable” on everything isn’t the only thing you have to do to be a genuinely sustainable brand.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Um I feel like if people tell you here it’s offensive why does it matter that google says it’s not? It’s really “old fashioned“ bc it’s a really exoticizing term of Asia...which is offensive.
As an asian, the term is 100% coloniser language, to hear and brand use that term in 2020 is so bleeping unacceptable

Just name the countries ffs oh wait seems they’re like they’re confused about which lie they’re going to release today smh

The Far East is like one degree off "the Orient" honestly. It's definitely been used to even mould what people typically think of as "Asia" with the "Middle East". Putting aside the fact that even these definitions are highly problematic, moulding entire regions into one is worse. When Far East as a term is used, it's done purposefully to indicate something that is really different in ways that are not conceivable to or non-existent in "the West" and these kinds of notions come from colonialism. The Orient is directly a term from colonialism that denotes Middle East, Africa, and Asia and "the Far East" gives off similar vibes if that makes sense.

But if it helps you guys to understand, a lot of my Asian friends have said "the Far East" and even "the Orient" aren't offensive terms to them but it comes more from a perspective of "these things are so stupid why should we let it offend us". But they do come from colonial notions so why I'd say it's really offensive. Like others have said, I believe that anyone who has been educated or intelligent should just avoid using them.

Westerners not understanding why that usage is offensive doesn't surprise me because it doesn't affect them. It's along the same exact lines of how using the Buddha as an ornament (ie in your bathroom or garden) and having bars like "Buddha Bar" is really offensive to us Buddhists from Asia but Westerners can't understand why it's offensive, but that conversation is for another day.
Perfectly said & sums up how I feel too
Obviously to many of us it’s ... just a word yet it’s not just a word; it’s the history of the usage of the word and it’s implications

Lol I’d love to find the statement they made a while back explaining why TALA never does sales. They claimed things like their profit margins are too small, they have to ensure their workers are paid a fair living wage etc. As we all predicted, with time TALA will behave more and more like any other fast fashion company, because ultimately that’s what they are.

Their staff need to realise that tacking the word “sustainable” on everything isn’t the only thing you have to do to be a genuinely sustainable brand.
Hm sounds like the 6 million revenue unable to do sales because we pay our staff fair cough cough 21k starting salary in London & millions of revenue expertise required whilst their asian exploited garment producers are earning pennies for their 18hr + shifts company isn’t actually disrupting the world? Mad who would have thought

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
I find it so nauseating that she uses AAVE/BVE - hon, you are a very privileged rich white girl, using ' skrrrr' isn't for you. Obviously the language lexicon changes frequently and over time, but using language that isn't natural to your wealthy upbringing is just fake. Like hearing her say 'p's' in that video she posted about paying influencers, was nauseating asf.

I say nauseating twice because she is really that nauseating (now 4x lol )

Reactions: 21
I find it so nauseating that she uses AAVE/BVE - hon, you are a very privileged rich white girl, using ' skrrrr' isn't for you. Obviously the language lexicon changes frequently and over time, but using language that isn't natural to your wealthy upbringing is just fake. Like hearing her say 'p's' in that video she posted about paying influencers, was nauseating asf.

I say nauseating twice because she is really that nauseating (now 4x lol )
sorry if this is ignorant but what is AAVE/BVE?

Funny they’ve not mentioned their sale anywhere, probably too nervous about being called out. Thought they’d sneak one through

Reactions: 3
Also does anyone else think it’s weird that she chose to test drive it with her sisters boyfriend (this isn’t me insinuating anything btw) I just think it’s bit odd when you’ve got all your own friends that is who’d you pick.
obviously men know the most about cars /s

Reactions: 3
Did she delete this from her story?? I don't see it.
She did delete two stories and then posted that one above! She deleted one that basically said the same as the screenshot and then one that said something about she’s happy she’s not supporting Elon Musk by buying a second hand Tesla. Lol.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
sorry if this is ignorant but what is AAVE/BVE?
no it’s not at all! AAVE is African American Venacular English and BVE is the british version. It’s language/ slang that is used pro dominantly within BIPOC culture.

It’s not to say that white people cant use slang terms as like we do know the language lexicon does change, but terms that are unnatural in our speech to us and our upbringing ... for example i’m white and from a middle class family, I grew up in a diverse neighbourhood however because of my upbringing i wouldn’t use language such as ‘ sis, skrrr, lit, yasss, ting, likkle’ as thats not my natural vocab, if that makes sense!

Same with using black emojis if i got a tan 💀or black reactionary gifs when those aren’t for me as a white woman to use, y’no?

It stems into cultural appropriation, like white privileged women just picking up aspects of black culture and using them to seem relatable or raise their social popularity. And then when it comes to speaking up on racism and making direct action, these people tend to disappear from the discussion.

Apologies to any POC/BIPOC people on this thread, If i made any inaccurate descriptions.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Also does anyone else think it’s weird that she chose to test drive it with her sisters boyfriend (this isn’t me insinuating anything btw) I just think it’s bit odd when you’ve got all your own friends that is who’d you pick.
Kinda just assumed he might have been the closest person to her who knows about cars tbh

Kinda just assumed he might have been the closest person to her who knows about cars tbh
I would have assumed cause when you bring a man to these showings or so eg interest in cars, houses etc having a man is better cause sales people / real estate etc tend to treat you like a dumb duck if you’re a woman on your ones

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.