Grace Beverley #11 I’m a bestseller-to-be, don’t worry - always keep my roommates on cctv

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What grace struggles to understand is that there is literally no point in admitting your privilege if all you’re going to say is that you went to private school but you only got to go because of a scholarship. It’s so misleading. The scholarship was only received because of the amount of money and privilege put into previous private schools, learning instruments etc. It also is intentionally misleading as when someone says scholarship, you automatically assume the situation is that they could not possibly afford the education without it.

if she’s really going to admit her privilege, she really needs to admit just how upper class her family is, being closely connected with conservative politicians, and how all that privilege, wealth and connections all aided an above average education and upbringing. There’s no way that even if she was super lazy and got bad grades that she would not have still gone to private school, a Russell group uni and ended up with a well paying job - even if that was working for her mum or dad.

working hard is great, but for some people who have to work a job through uni they’re actually spending more hours working but it’s just to maintain a life at uni Rather than towards creating a business. It’s simply not an option.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Grease Beverley: got my tenants on my side, chasing the shreddy bus outside, my £18 skipping rope is #girlboss culture, simplified.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
What grace struggles to understand is that there is literally no point in admitting your privilege if all you’re going to say is that you went to private school but you only got to go because of a scholarship. It’s so misleading. The scholarship was only received because of the amount of money and privilege put into previous private schools, learning instruments etc. It also is intentionally misleading as when someone says scholarship, you automatically assume the situation is that they could not possibly afford the education without it.

if she’s really going to admit her privilege, she really needs to admit just how upper class her family is, being closely connected with conservative politicians, and how all that privilege, wealth and connections all aided an above average education and upbringing. There’s no way that even if she was super lazy and got bad grades that she would not have still gone to private school, a Russell group uni and ended up with a well paying job - even if that was working for her mum or dad.

working hard is great, but for some people who have to work a job through uni they’re actually spending more hours working but it’s just to maintain a life at uni Rather than towards creating a business. It’s simply not an option.
lol like one of her sisters who literally works (or worked) for the v&a too...

Reactions: 8
Grace has a lot of work to do to understand her privilege. She needs to stop letting her ego get in the way of thinking that people are saying if you were born into a rich family you didn’t work hard at all to get where you are. No ones saying she didn’t have to work hard, but she started about 50 steps up from most other people so her advice really shouldn’t be the spokesperson for our generation. I think she really needs to spend time understanding just how privileged she is, and understanding that a lot of what she did wouldn’t have been possible at such a young age if she didn’t have the upbringing and safety net that she did.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
The absolute opposite of acknowledging your privilege is saying 'Yes I've had some advantages but...' no but's or excuses about it.

Reactions: 34
The issue with the way privilege is perceived at the moment is that someone like Grace just has to say 'I acknowledge my privilege' and can get off safe, while she continues to do the total bleeping opposite with her actions.

I acknowledge my privilege, but I still wrote a book [that I got because I'm an influencer signed to Gleam] about how I built a business [That I started because I am an attractive, wealthy, white woman on Instagram, that people follow for escapism] from the ground up [My family are worth millions, my education is worth over 100k, my parents likely have vast business knowledge compared to my working class peers] while I was at Oxford [who let me in after I missed my grades twice].

• Heart
Reactions: 44
For how woke she tries to be, she’s the perfect example of somebody with privilege getting so offended when their privilege is pointed out, acting like it means “nothing bad has ever happened to you”.

Reactions: 23
The issue with the way privilege is perceived at the moment is that someone like Grace just has to say 'I acknowledge my privilege' and can get off safe, while she continues to do the total bleeping opposite with her actions.

I acknowledge my privilege, but I still wrote a book [that I got because I'm an influencer signed to Gleam] about how I built a business [That I started because I am an attractive, wealthy, white woman on Instagram, that people follow for escapism] from the ground up [My family are worth millions, my education is worth over 100k, my parents likely have vast business knowledge compared to my working class peers] while I was at Oxford [who let me in after I missed my grades twice].
It’s the same vibe as “I said sorry, didn’t I?” or when kids say “can I have it, PLEASE” after you tell them to use their manners. I don’t understand how people bend over backwards so often to make excuses for the most fortunate people in the world making the least effort? People will drag some working class girl over the coals for having the audacity to complain about Grace being exploitative but will then hail Grace as being the face of class equality for sometimes saying “I am privileged” lol

Reactions: 19
203k likes I’m dead
Though most people will just see to it as influencer oriented as opposed to greasy herself so that’s a shame

Reactions: 8
Grace has a lot of work to do to understand her privilege. She needs to stop letting her ego get in the way of thinking that people are saying if you were born into a rich family you didn’t work hard at all to get where you are. No ones saying she didn’t have to work hard, but she started about 50 steps up from most other people so her advice really shouldn’t be the spokesperson for our generation. I think she really needs to spend time understanding just how privileged she is, and understanding that a lot of what she did wouldn’t have been possible at such a young age if she didn’t have the upbringing and safety net that she did.
Tbh its good to recognise your privilege, but to understand it would literally be impossible for someone like grace. She is at the very very top of the world, literally the only thing that’d hold her back is the fact she isn’t a man (and omg she does love to remind everyone of the fact she is a woman and technically oppressed). But anyway, shes been surrounded by so much money her entire life, its literally impossible for her to understand how much it has contributed to her success bc she’ll never have to know what its like to live without it, to not be able to afford the heating or electricity, or not be able to feed her kids. Like in a way it’s pointless to even expect her to try and understand it because its become so clear that she’s convinced her own mind that shes got the same level of privilege as any other average middle class person, and nothing can change it

• Heart
Reactions: 24
The scholarship argument makes me laugh, whether you got one or not you still GOT A PRIVATE EDUCATION THAT SOME OF US COULD ONLY DREAM OF ????

Reactions: 14
I also feel as though grace (and lots of others) are so very used to and accustomed to their privileges from birth that they are the norm to them and the people in their circle so they don’t fully realise the extent of them. Things like having a huge pot of money waiting for you, the contacts, the education and so on. Obviously not excusing her in the slighted just saying I bet for a long period of her life she didn’t even realise that’s not the norm.
She just doesn’t get it I don’t think. I think she gets so defensive because she’s like “oh well loads of people are middle class” etc thinking she falls within the same category.
I don’t know if that makes sense but I’ve seen it first hand where people don’t understand how deep their privileges run and will refer to things like a second home and a private education as tho it’s completely normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17
The scholarship argument makes me laugh, whether you got one or not you still GOT A PRIVATE EDUCATION THAT SOME OF US COULD ONLY DREAM OF ????
Honestly the scholarship argument is one of hers that makes me the most angry. She isn't a working class kid who managed to get a full ride to a private school, she's an upper class, granddaughter of a Knight, Chelsea kid whose scholarship made up maybe a couple of grand, and was based on music, for which her ability was of course fostered by her parents throwing more money into her education so she could attend the royal academy of music. It boils my blood when she tries to hide behind this language.

Reactions: 33
Grace has more than just financial privileges though. She originally amassed her online following by being conventionally attractive, white, female and genetically blessed with what was (and is still) societies perception of the ‘ideal body’ (small waist, big bum).

Financial privilege has played a part in her ability to help curate that image - expensive gym memberships, equipment, clothing, personal trainers. It also helped to show the ‘intelligent academic’ side of her online persona that makes people think she is worth listening to - private schools enabled her to gain a place at Oxford, connections that enabled her to gain an internship at IBM, and familial wealth that enabled her to task risk without consequence.

I’m not going to word this well, but essentially Grace benefits from so many privileges that even just saying she benefits from ‘financial’ privilege, misses out a very large portion of why she is so successful. We all know for a fact if she was rich, but didn’t meet societal perceptions of beauty, she wouldn’t have anywhere near the amount of success she currently has.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Omg I can’t with some of the replies

That Patricia Bright needs to be stopped as well, shes allowed Grace to spread such bleeping lies, hes saying
‘I saw an interview of this girl with patricia bright, and she wasn’t even rich? In fact she almost got kicked out of university for not being able to pay for one of her semesters’
Like what the duck? How are people not engaging their brains? Her parents paid for her entire school education, do you really and truly believe they’d actually let her lose her place at oxford for not being able to afford it? Aghhhhhjkdkekeieiwlwn

Reactions: 33
Grace has more than just financial privileges though. She originally amassed her online following by being conventionally attractive, white, female and genetically blessed with what was (and is still) societies perception of the ‘ideal body’ (small waist, big bum).
Not just attractiveness and being white: she's able bodied enough to have been able to work toward that 'ideal body' when she was at the height of her fitness (despite saying she has asthma, it can't be that bad that she cannot exercise), she's straight (as far as we know, and I don't believe she's given any indication otherwise) and comfortable in her gender to the point where she's 'feminine' enough to be accepted in the fitness world- do you think she'd have the following she has if she didn't pose in lulu lemons and gymshark or wore "men's" clothes to workout in?

And like you said, her privilege extends to access to things like the internship, the coaching she will have had at school for the Oxford interview and the style of teaching in the schools themselves builds that confidence that upper class people have.

Reactions: 24
Not just attractiveness and being white: she's able bodied enough to have been able to work toward that 'ideal body' when she was at the height of her fitness (despite saying she has asthma, it can't be that bad that she cannot exercise), she's straight (as far as we know, and I don't believe she's given any indication otherwise) and comfortable in her gender to the point where she's 'feminine' enough to be accepted in the fitness world- do you think she'd have the following she has if she didn't pose in lulu lemons and gymshark or wore "men's" clothes to workout in?

And like you said, her privilege extends to access to things like the internship, the coaching she will have had at school for the Oxford interview and the style of teaching in the schools themselves builds that confidence that upper class people have.
I completely agree, and thanks for highlighting those other important privileges I omitted.

Again, I hope this isn’t too wordy to get the point across, but if Grace has started an entire company alone without financial help, without plastering her face across everything, without Gleam/Genflow giving access to suppliers/marketing etc. she would be NO-WHERE NEAR as successful as she is now.

She is the face of glorified influencer merch - end of. There is no doubt that keeping up these instagram appearances whilst studying was time consuming, I don’t think anyone has ever disputed that. What is being disputed however, is the false ‘look what hard work alone can do’ narrative that is being projected when this has nothing to do with hard work, and everything to do with all the ‘leg-ups’ she has been given throughout her life.

I don’t need someone with endless wealth, conventional beauty, supportive parents, and sound health and mind, to tell me that the ONLY reason I am not as successful as she is, is because I’m not productive enough and that she is the person to be giving that advice.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Her privilege does extend far beyond financial, but most of it does come down to that. And I do actually think, she really doesn’t recognise it because she’s never been in working class circles. She was in private schools her whole life, prestigious IBM internship (again will have all been middle class people, Oxford, posh choirs, the Instagram circle is all middle class to be able to keep up appearances, her gym was probably very expensive so again middle class, she did her student food shops in Waitrose???
like the only time she comes in contact with working class people is when they’re bumlicking her on Instagram and she doesn’t engage back with any of her followers unless she’s shouting at them. So I do believe she doesn’t understand her position at all

again, the whole business and success stemmed because she had a ready made customer base. She already had a customer base because of yes, being attractive back then, but also the money she pumped in to fancy gym wear and the flashy hols to show off her bikini bod in dreamy locations. That’s how she got away with having effectively no professional fitness knowledge. Tanya down the road is never gonna grow 1 mil followers showing workout routines in the local pure gym wearing 3 different pairs of primark leggings on repeat

Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.